Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Historic Stock Car Photos

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by indybigjohn, Aug 28, 2008.

1. allstarracing

allstarracing

Glen Kerns cars. The 147 car is outside of the pits at the Fairgrounds. no. 9 car is at the Fairgrounds.

[​IMG]

2. What a great post!!! I never thought some of those "late model" cars would look so wicked all cut up like that. Makes me want to build one for the street and scare the hell out of people on the street with one. My question to all of you is,

Do you view NASCAR as the evil super power or a help to the sport?

Like me I view the NHRA not giving credit due to the past and just kind of push it off. Don't you all think it would be cool if the two powers above would have traveling museums that would show the fans now where this all got started at each of the races that they all hold.

3. allstarracing

allstarracing

Danny Dean at New Breman again. I think it is Ray Young be hind him.

[​IMG]

4. allstarracing

allstarracing

I agree NASCAR and NHRA have morphed into the evil powers. NASCAR wants to play games with allocating races to anyone except tracks owned by the France empire and Bruton Smith i.e. the Kentucky Motor Speedway fiasco which now seems will get a date because Smith now owns it.. All of the Sprint Cup tracks except New Hampshire and Pocono are controlled by the two. It seems NASCAR would like to eliminate Smith but he has gotten too strong and controlls too many tracks and would start his own series and split up the dynasty if NASCAR pisses him off.

NASCAR has gotten away from the core of racing. Martinsville,Bristol and Dover. Greatest door to door side by side paint swapping what racing should be type racing. Too many cookie cutter follow the leader tracks with strung out races and the restrictor plate races are a joke. The only reason to watch them is the wrecks. That is sad to say as I have been a driver for forty years and was a NASCAR sportsman owner and driver in the late sixties and early seventies. Go back to the basics. Good old short track Saturday night or Sunday type five hundred lappers. Give us door to door shetmetal swapping races. God I hate fuel millage races. THAT'S "NOT" RACING. STOP IT.

NHRA is just as bad with its computer racing. Top fuel, funny car and prostock fields not full and some with only enough to make a sixteen car field this year, "DISCUSTING". Take the computers, air multi stage clutches and clutchless shifted transmitions away and make em' race by the seat of the pants again. Allstarracing

5. arca39

arca39
    from summit il

don't forget the super teams in nascar and nhra taking away from the little guy. look at what happen at the all star race in at lowes this year. love short tracks as well as local racing drag and roundie. hey allstar mesag. me have a question fer ya tom

6. allstarracing

allstarracing

My ARCA car I bought from Dany Dean after we built his 73 Torino. I later sold it to a guy from South Carolina and have been told the car in the next picture is it at Daytona as a sportsman car.

[​IMG]

7. allstarracing

allstarracing

An enlarged pic. sorry didn't work

[​IMG]

8. allstarracing

allstarracing

Told this was my old ARCA car

[​IMG]

9. allstarracing

allstarracing

Dan Penland rolling on the front stretch of Ascot Park, Gardena Calif. in a figue eight race.

[​IMG]

10. Falconred

Falconred

What year are these? I have some photos I shot one year of Trickles car on the truck after he wrecked it pretty bad but I seem to remember it was a '72-'73 Mercury Montego GT. Seems like Farmer wrecked also in that race.

11. allstarracing

allstarracing

Johnny Yost slightly out of shape coming to the X at anAscot Park figure eight race.

[​IMG]

12. allstarracing

allstarracing

This was 1975 and Trickle hit Jim Vandiver after Vandiver blew an engine and it took out about one fourth of the field.

13. strawberry

strawberry

man I grew up on those tracks around there it was great ..miami hollywood speedway, pembrook pines , palm beach fairgrounds ,hialeah, all my 'ol stomping grounds ..god those were the days.I moved to tampa in the 70,s and started running a dirt car ..

14. allstarracing

allstarracing

Whats your question. I will be glad to try to answer it. Some of the dates may be a little fuzzy due to age but I have been here and there will try my best. allstarracing

15. allstarracing

allstarracing

I just remembered Dick Brooks drove the Donlevy Truxmore Ford instead of Jody Ridley. Allstarracing

16. allstarracing

allstarracing

I have been to some of the Florida tracks also. Desoto,Auburndale. Jacksonville and Punta Gorda. I have friends that still race there. Gordon Brown and John Lavelle the worlds most hated figure eight driver and the arch nemesis of Jesse James. Allstarracing.

17. allstarracing

allstarracing

This is the Joe and Paul Ruggles exgrand national run as a sportsman exiting turn 6 at Riverside. This car was a Holman-Moody brought to Calif. and never raced as a Grand National there because the front of the roof and the front fenders were sloped like the Junior Johnson Yellow Banana. I dont' Know if the car was built for or like the Johnson car on purpose or if Holman-Moody ever built a car for Johnson but I was told it was a backup car for the Banana car. I know the Ruggles had to change the roof and the fenders after they bought it before they could race it.

[​IMG]

18. allstarracing

allstarracing

The ruggles Ford on the trailer waiting to go into the pits at Riverside. Check out the 59-60 T-Bird behind the 15 car.

[​IMG]

19. allstarracing

allstarracing

Sam and Linda Hines in my parents drive, 1968. Later he would build Central Park Speedway in Beaver Dam Ky. and Cedar Grove Speedway which was renamed Thunder Raceway and is now called Soggy Bottom Speedway at Morgantown Ky. Steve Packer and I won a lot of races at both tracks.

[​IMG]

20. allstarracing

allstarracing

Me and my Bird at San Gabriel Speedway Calif. There were three of these T-Birds built around the same time in Calif. for NASCAR sportsman.Clem Proctor had the first. It was the Starlight Bar and Grill sponsored car that he put over the turn nine wall at Riverside. Ron Hornaday Sr. and I built ours in the same year. Rons car was named "The Thunder Bucket" and has been in Stockcar Racing magizine in the early seventies.

[​IMG]

21. strawberry

strawberry

I'm afraid you might be right, but my boy 'ol pops won again last night ..man it does me good to see mark martin win, saw him in tampa at golden gate way back when we had the triple crown here , met him in the pits and didn't even think about it ..you know ...look at us now :D

22. strawberry

strawberry

COOL thats great, I don't go anymore..I still have the itch to build one and well you know ..

23. Luke S.

Luke S.
    from Ocala, Fl.

One of, if not my Dad's first race cars from Riverside Park Speedway in Agawam, Mass. Not sure what year. Early to mid 60s.

24. Mad Mark

Mad Mark

I forgot how cool the pics were in this thread. I'll had a few more-
    Another shot of Larry Phillip's shop in Springfield, Mo. -1972
    [​IMG]

Mark Martin- Fairgrounds Speedway?

[​IMG]

Larry Phillips & David Goldsberry at the fairgrounds.

[​IMG]

25. twistedmetalvideo

twistedmetalvideo
    from Indiana

[​IMG]
    Tom Winters, Sportsdrome, mid 70's

26. indybigjohn

indybigjohn
    Member Emeritus

Great photo, Gibson!

27. allstarracing

allstarracing

Johnny Yost in the no.71, Floyd Johnson in the 11x, and "Moose" Spurick in the 197 at San Gabreil.

[​IMG]

28. allstarracing

allstarracing

29. allstarracing

allstarracing

More San Gabriel. Johnny Yost in the no. 71. Bob Oathout in the no. 14

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 13, 2009
  30. allstarracing

allstarracing

Though you racers would like to see the other racecars from Calif. Just so happens we are usually in front of them.[​IMG] Loose is fast.

[​IMG]