Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Historic Stock Car Photos

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by indybigjohn, Aug 28, 2008.

1. Hey everyone,

This thread gets better and better every week. I'd like to thank everybody who posted so far. So much personal history, so very cool!

Here's a few more photo's from my collection over the years.

Enjoy!

Joel

First off a pic @ speed of A.J.Foyt driving his USAC Talledega at Milwaukee. This a signed photo by A.J.
    [​IMG]

Next is a interesting photo of a spin-out at Illiana Speedway in 1966.
    [​IMG]

Next up is a autographed photo I got from Bud Koehler just before he passed. Super nicely prepared '60 Ford sedan @ Raceway Park, Blue Island, Il. That fortified front bumper was meant for one thing!
    [​IMG]

Last but, not least is a photo of two of my most favotite makes. I just love '58 Fords and '60 Pontiac Bonnevilles ever since I was a young shorty! Don't know why, except I've always been a "Pontiac Phanatic". The '58 Ford was just plain cool to me. I always thought they made great stockcars. Well, here's a "Dream" picture, Ed Kozbiel (33) and Paul Goldsmith (99) running side by side at Milwaukee in 1960. A prized possesion!
    [​IMG]

Thanks and I hope you all enjoyed!

Joel

2. twistedmetalvideo

twistedmetalvideo
    from Indiana

Bruce,
    Saturday 7pm, The Sportsdrome Speedway has the 21st annual Figure 8 Mania (Twin 45 lap races for Xtreme Figure 8 cars & a 25 lap dromer figure 8 race) plus 3 divisions of ovals-Xtreme, Dromer & FWD running 25 lap features. Located in Jeffersonville, IN(about 4-5 minutes from Louisville).

Hollar at me if you go, I'll be up in the lift next to the pressbox,

Gregg

3. OoltewahSpeedShop

OoltewahSpeedShop

Is that a Corvair bodied car leading? It looks BadAss! I love Corvair stock cars. They made some of the coolest cars. '65-67 Chevy II's are my second favorites.

Kevin

4. B.A.KING

B.A.KING

sounds like a blast. sent you a pm

5. allstarracing

allstarracing

It was around back across ring road from the ball stadium. right beside the entrance road from Crittenden drive.
    The outside wall to keep people out of the racetrack and where the scoreboard was located was about twenty feet from the road. Then a ten foot walkway to the back stretch and then the track. When you come in from Crittenden Drive it would be on your right where the parking lot is now. Ring road is the road that was in front of the track where the pit entrance was. Allstarracing

6. indybigjohn

indybigjohn
    Member Emeritus

allstarracing has it right, B.A. King. If you were standing at the entrance to Freedom Hall, it would be at about 10:00 o'clock from you. It was beyond the left field wall of what used to be the baseball field.

7. allstarracing

allstarracing

No that is a camaro and looks like the Huey Darnell built Richard (Butterball) Bloyd driven car. If it is it was also driven by Andy Vertrees and Danny Blackwell before Butterball.
    The Mercury behind it is my car that Homer French borrowed primered and numbered no. 75.He also cut the headlight buckets and hood out and put the 58 Mercury bumper on it. The no. 88 is Tom Winters. The fourth car back and to the extreme left looks like the Ray Crane no.11. The last car on the right might have been Steve Brown in the Bobby Tarter owner car. The paint scheme is right as Bobby's cars at that time were one of only a few with two color paint schemes. It was white on the top and a reddish brown on the bottom. The car in front of the Steve Brown appearing car could be Al Stringer in the car I sold him as it appears to be a hardtop and has a 3/4 ton rearend and only a few other cars ran them and they were all sedans as far I can remember. The car to the right of my Mercury looks like the Gary Hottstetler owned Charlie Reichmuth Driven No.87 by the cut of the hood. It was grey with red lettering. Allstarracing

Last edited: Jul 28, 2009
  8. allstarracing

allstarracing

Bobby Allisons Malibu

[​IMG]

9. twistedmetalvideo

twistedmetalvideo
    from Indiana

[​IMG]
    Andy Vertrees, First Late Model. Fairgrounds Motor Speedway.

10. twistedmetalvideo

twistedmetalvideo
    from Indiana

11. twistedmetalvideo

twistedmetalvideo
    from Indiana

[​IMG]
    Andy Vertrees Late Model.

12. indybigjohn

indybigjohn
    Member Emeritus

Great stuff, twisted. Frank Scott told me early this season that he's planning to do a website on FMS. Haven't heard much lately but he's probably busy with his ATV and small engine business right now.

13. onlychevrolets

onlychevrolets

We raced at the Peach Bowl in Atlanta in the 60's if I can find the pictures I'll post them up...who else raced there ?

14. pushrod1955

pushrod1955

My dad ran the skeeters there in the 60's on occasions.

15. allstarracing

allstarracing

If anyone is interested Greg Gibson of Twistedmetal videos has just completed transfering some of my old 8mm film from the 67-68 era. It has Sportsdrome figure eight cars on the oval. My car is the X97 light blue and white. There is also Louisville Fairgrounds oval and figure eights and late models. It does have the Ex Fredy Lorenzen Starlift in front of the Fairgrounds entrance after an ARCA race in 63 or 64. The dvd has Don and Carl Vertrees, Jim and Juanita Able, Billy and Little Joe Vincent, Richie Bisig ,Paul McNeal, Jim Taylor, Charlie Straub, Mother Goose Leonhart. Estel Strong, Bill Kyser and lots more that I have forgotten their names . See Fords, Chevys, Buicks Oldsmobiles, Mercurys,Pontiacs, Hudsons, Dodges and Plymouths duke it out on the track back in the day. You will have to put up with some of my family on it because they were on the 8mm. Greg might be able to edit it for you but you can enjoy the rest. Allstarracing

16. twistedmetalvideo

twistedmetalvideo
    from Indiana

John,

I hope that Frank does do that, I know a lot of ppl would be interested. There was supposed to be a book that went with the card set that he put out. You were supposed to recieve one when you sent in the coupon that came w/the cards. As far as I know no one ever recieved one. Ticked a lot of ppl off. Not really sure what happened, I've talked with Frank several times about pictures, etc. I know he has a lot of stuff so he would be able to put together a nice site. He has every program from The Fairgrounds from 1961 to 1980 among lots of other stuff.

17. indybigjohn

indybigjohn
    Member Emeritus

Check your e-mail, twisted.

18. allstarracing

allstarracing

Bob Johnson at San Gabriel.

[​IMG]

19. allstarracing

allstarracing

Joe and Paul Ruggles 57 Ford. They also owned the no.15 1966 Ford shown in a previous thread. Bill Butts in the no. 6 Chevelle

[​IMG]

20. X426X

X426X
    from OhiO

Enjoying the pics and stories, thank you. The last time I was at the World 100, the winner drove a bigblock Chevelle with a vinyl top.
    :cool:

21. allstarracing

allstarracing

A 57 Chevy at San Gabreil.

[​IMG]

22. allstarracing

allstarracing

This Chevy had one fabulas paint job two weeks before. The owner/driver drove a semi for the Star Box company out of Las Vegas. It was the same color as the car but with twenty two 14 carat gold plated stars on it. He had a hauler bed that slipped into the fifth wheel and made the truck a car hauler. It was quite an impressive rig. San Gabriel Speedway

[​IMG]

23. allstarracing

allstarracing

One of the few big block cars. It was quick on new tires or short races like the heats but the longer it ran the handling would go away because of the weight it carried. San Gabriel Speedway.

[​IMG]

24. allstarracing

allstarracing

The owners put a four link suspension under this plymouth and never could get it dialed in for San Gabriel. It was always twichy and a handfull and had to be driven on a perfect line to be fast.

[​IMG]

25. allstarracing

allstarracing

Decent Saugus car at San Gabriel.

[​IMG]

26. allstarracing

allstarracing

One of the nicest built cars around. San Gabriel Speedway

[​IMG]

27. allstarracing

allstarracing

Lonnie Pebworth drove this Plymouth. He was bad bad fast. If you give him an inch he would pass in a heart beat. This car would run right up against the wall and would haul the mail. Pebworth was possibly the most feared competitor on the track because he was soooo fast. San Gabriel Speedway.

[​IMG]

28. allstarracing

allstarracing

Bill Butts drove this Chevelle and was a super competitor. San Gabriel Speedway.

[​IMG]

29. allstarracing

allstarracing

Chuck Becker Jr. Drove this Chevelle and was a threat anywhere he went. His dad Sr. and brother Randy also drove NASCAR sportsman cars and all were fast.

[​IMG]

30. Dog427435

Dog427435

Great shots!! Thanks for posting them!

Any more?:D