Register now to get rid of these ads!

History NHRA Junior Stock

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by colesy, Aug 12, 2007.

1. 56 Pontiac I/SA

56 Pontiac I/SA
    from Maryland

Is this THE Jon Lunberg -- the storied announcer who didn't just announce, but painted vivid images of multihued flames leaping from blazing zoomie headers?

Watta guy, what drama -- I remember

2. 65deluxe

65deluxe

Thanks for summing up what we all assumed Steve.:D:D;)

3. colesy

colesy

Hey Jon;
    Glad you found us here, Welcome Aboard. Have you seen what's been posted so far here on The Chevairs and Doug Kahl? Here's a sample.
    BTW, we're ready for any thoughts or memories from the class back then.

From the Michigan hall of fame site comes this bio on Junior/Stock racer Doug Kahl;

Doug Kahl's drag racing ventures began at Central Michigan Dragway in 1961. The years 1961 and 1962 saw Doug racing a 1959 Chevy Impala two door with a tri-power 348 in the NHRA "D" Stock Automatic class. In 1963 Doug acquired a Chrysler Corporation sponsorship which found him at the wheel of a 1962 Plymouth Sport Fury.
    The car ran in the "C" Stock Automatic class with a 361 c.i. engine. At this point in his racing career, Doug became a member of the famed Chevair Racing Team of Lansing, being the "odd fellow" contingent with a Chrysler product in an otherwise all-Chevy team.
    Doug's good fortune increased with national class titles at the 1964 NHRA Winternationals in Pomona, California and at the 1964 U.S. Nationals at Indianapolis. 1965 would prove to be Doug's ultimate-banner year. He captured the season point title in the Junior Stock category for NHRA's North Central Division. This earned Doug the right to compete at the NHRA World Finals in Tulsa, Oklahoma. He defeated Bill Spanakos'-Bill "Grumpy" Jenkins prepared 1955 Chevy "I" Stock for the 1965 NHRA Junior Stock World Championship. Besides other monetary and contingent awards given, Doug was the recipient of a new 1965 Mustang notch-back and a Hawaiian vacation.
    The 1966 season witnessed Doug winning the "C" Stock Automatic title at the NHRA Springnationals in Bristol, Tennessee. In 1967 Doug formed an alliance with fellow Chrysler backed racer Tom Russell of Muskegon. The car they raced was a 1962 Plymouth Fury six-passenger station wagon running in "D" Stock Automatic, and they set the record that year at Tri-City Dragway near Saginaw, Michigan. The car was Tom's, the engine combination was from Doug's 1962 Fury coupe and Doug was the driver.
    1968 was the season Doug left drag racing to concentrate on other interests including raising a family. Doug is now retired from General Motors and his passions are his family and golf.
    <!-- / message --><!-- attachments -->

Attached Files:

4. P426

P426
    BANNED
    from New Jersey

[​IMG]

Wow, "The Voice of Drag Racing" has joined us! Welcome, Jon! The pleasure is all ours.

Pete :)

5. Gary Glover

Gary Glover

"Attention in the pits". Welcome Jon. Always loved your announcing.

6. P426

P426
    BANNED
    from New Jersey

NOTE: I received this private message from a new member who is still "learning the ropes" as far as posting goes and I'm more than happy to offer assistance.--Pete

hello-
    I'm a "newbie" that just joined this week. I just ran across your post that included the stock eliminator entry list for 69 US Nationals on Jr stock page #126. I'm on that list as #1058 - Tweed Vorhees,
    Dover, OH -"WHITE POWER - CHESROWN OLDS - 67 Olds 442 W-30 E/SA. Raced with Ron Garey out of Chesrown Olds Newark, OH from 67-70. Lots of good memories!! Especially when Ron won Stock Eliminator at 68 Springnationals with his Chesrown car. Attached is a pic of my car at 67 US Nationals and a pic of it in front of the dealership prior to heading west to calif for 68 Winternatonals.

I am currently in process of "re-creating" my WHITE POWER racecar. When it is finished it will look ecactly like the 1968 picture - full race trim - lettering and all. Hopefully it will be finished by next summer in order for me to take it to the 2010 Olds Nationals in Sturbridge Mass. I will send you some pix of it in another email.

Later,
    Tweed

P.S. If you look close at the pic of car in front of Chesrown showroom, you can see reflection of REd HEAD gas station across the street displaying price of gas at 32.9 cents!! LOL (Pic taken jan 1968 before heading to Winternationals!)

More later.

I will have more Ron Garey Olds and othe Olds pics to post later. (In the meantime I will figure out how to post em myself) LOL

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. Bob W

Bob W
    from Here

Years ago I heard it was in the Ottawa area.

Bob

8. P426

P426
    BANNED
    from New Jersey

I found it!

[​IMG]

Pete :D

9. FalconEddie1964

FalconEddie1964

If I remember right Jon announced some at the Nationals at Indy years ago. Besides the booming voice saying " Attention in the Pits" I remember "Out of the chute they go!!" a few times. He helped make it a little more exciting for us in the top row of the grandstand.

10. Grandadeo

Grandadeo

If it was '64 Indy, were you the guy that starting throwing beer bottles down at us in the lower seats?

Lee

11. 67 W-30

67 W-30
    from N.E. Ohio

Pete -
    Thanks for the posting. Will upload some more pix over the next few days.
    Thanks

12. P426

P426
    BANNED
    from New Jersey

You're welcome! I look forward to seeing more pix!

Pete :)

13. P426

P426
    BANNED
    from New Jersey

Anyone know this guy?

[​IMG]

Pete :D

14. mrgtojudge

mrgtojudge
    from NJ

HAHAHA! Now that is a good one! I heard about this "car" at the York show; glad to see it finally! Looks outstanding! Carl has been wondering when he gets his!

15. mrgtojudge

mrgtojudge
    from NJ

Thanks Bob for the info, it is a starting place...

16. John Mason

John Mason
    from S. Cal

I call and raise!
    Who's in the passenger seat?

17. DW31S

DW31S
    from Sparks,MD

A couple of items here... First-- Let me say that I am glad Jon Lundberg is finally aboard! I had Jon do an appraisal on my 1969 W31 (Anderson Olds) F/S and was truely impressed with both his outstanding knowledge of our sport and his professional approach to doing business. If anyone out there needs a collector/race car appraisal I highly recommend his services. Second-- I can't wait to see more of the Chesrown pics and info. As you probably know by now, there just isn't a great amount of Oldsmobile stuff around, so any and all things not on the thread will be enjoyed. I have a new contact to make regarding the Pohanka Olds race cars from Marlow Heights MD. I will let you know what happens. Until next time, Dave

18. P426

P426
    BANNED
    from New Jersey

It's very hard to make out the passenger. Looks to me like he has a mustache. Hmmm...now who can that be? I'm going to take a wild guess and say: Tony Pizzi.

Pete

P.S. Stu Rogers??

Last edited: Aug 19, 2009
  19. P426

P426
    BANNED
    from New Jersey

Is that you, Lou C.?
    [​IMG]

Any info about car/owner/driver?
    [​IMG]

Any info on the Oldsmobile?
    [​IMG]

Pete

20. sinistri

sinistri
    from reading pa

How about east coast k/ Stocker corvette of Trautman and Nugent.....Killer car.

Attached Files:

21. John Mason

John Mason
    from S. Cal

Here's a hint.
    Rinaldi can't play.:D

22. sinistri

sinistri
    from reading pa

Some Lombardo and Sinistri Buckshot Pics.....

Attached Files:

23. P426

P426
    BANNED
    from New Jersey

Is that Dom???

Pete

p.s. Hey, John...how 'bout some info/history about the car! Three-eighty-nine-powered? Four-hundred? Or did ya have the biggest engine, i.e., four-hundred and twenty-eight inches of Poncho power?

24. P426

P426
    BANNED
    from New Jersey

Some great shots there, Sinistri!

Thanks for posting.

Pete

25. sinistri

sinistri
    from reading pa

C/S National Record Holder Charlie Lutz driving "Lickety Split"..... Big MPH car... 119 plus.

Attached Files:

26. P426

P426
    BANNED
    from New Jersey

Now this I really like!

Pete

27. sinistri

sinistri
    from reading pa

glad you liked, this link has me so into it!! Im going wild hunting up old stuff....what a blast...thanks to all who have shared !!

28. P426

P426
    BANNED
    from New Jersey

Did Jerry have this car during the original Stock Eliminator era, i.e., pre-1972? It's obvious
    with the Cragar Super Tricks on it, these are post-1972 photos.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Pete

29. P426

P426
    BANNED
    from New Jersey

30. WGuy

WGuy
    from Central NJ

No, thanks to you for posting the best pics I've seen of that Vette. I wonder how many people know that the Sinistri and Cruppi names flip-floped on the car. I understand Cruppi was involved for about 2 months, than your Dad's name went back on the car.;)