Register now to get rid of these ads!

Art & Inspiration Hot Rod LP Collecting

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Toby Denham, Apr 4, 2009.

1. mrtc4w

mrtc4w

I just picked these up at a flea market:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

There was a record dealer at the flea market and he actually had a section for Surf and Hot Rod records! That is where I got the Checkered Flag LP. I paid $20 for it. The Jan & Dean LP I got for $3 and the Surfin' USA LP I got for $1!

Marty

2. Bud

Bud
    from Orange, CA

This is my favorite. It is hard to find cheap though because the jazz collectors really like it too.

[​IMG]

3. mrtc4w

mrtc4w

More flea market finds!

The Beach Boys / Shut Down Vol 2. $2.00

[​IMG]

The Surfaris / Hit City '65. $4.00

[​IMG]

Love my flea markets!!!

Marty

4. Scott Miller

Scott Miller
    from Tampa, Fla

I seem to remember there was an album with the beatnik bandit on the cover? Can anybody confirm this?

5. I'm pretty sure the "T" pictured on the cover is Tommy Ivo's famous Buick powered "T". Cool. :)

6. I still have a LP cleaning kit that has a special brush. I don't know if these are still available. However, I think the CD spray-on cleaner is the same as the old LP cleaning solution. I'm sure you cold use any soft cloth like an old T shirt to wipe the solution off.

7. mrtc4w

mrtc4w

Love my flea markets!! Here is my latest find:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

It is still in the shrink wrap except of course open at one end, there are NO slpits in the cover, the LP plays wonderfully. Oh yeah, I got it for $2.00!!:D

Marty

8. Mad Mark

Mad Mark

Very neat collection ya got there! I'm a casual album collector - I do root through alot of junk at flea markets occasionally hoping to stumble on some pot 'o gold. I have a handful of the ones posted here.
    I really like the picture discs. Never seen the ZZ Top ones before.

9. Marty, You did pretty good on that one. I picked up a copy of that same record off of eBay for more. Mine is still sealed. I mainly wanted it for the graphics. Have you listened to it and is it any good? If it's good, I may cut mine open in order to hear it.

10. Diana The Doc

Diana The Doc
    from New York

Yeah, the Robert Williams CHROME SMOKE & FIRE is a genuine gem of classic hot roddin' hits AND Robert's incredible color artwork... Robert picked some extremely interesting songs for this phat 2 record set... Having spoke and visited with Robert Williams, I can say that he's definitely a down to earth sort of fellow who just happens to be amply talented-- He speaks favorably of the "old skool" hot rodding days on the west coast-- He lived it... I consider myself very fortunate to actually be included in this collection of gearhead music, the last, and "newest" of songs in the collection, "DRAG RACING" by BIG STICK is yours truly... "The Doc" (Celebrity Drag Racing Authority & Visionary)...

11. 6t5frlane

6t5frlane
    from New York

On the cover of the Jan and Dean record, dean is wearing a shirt that says " The Blue Fox " Is that a Car ?? A Bar ?? restaurant ??

12. Slonaker

Slonaker

I have that same one, but the album is missing.

Slonaker

13. Von Franco

Von Franco

The Blue Fox was a strip club in TJ. back in the day............................

14. 40forever

40forever

I search the internet, and especially ebay, a lot to find these. I have a few new ones that I will have to put on as soon as I get round to photographing them. Seeing the photos of that collection at the Petersen Museum tells me I've still got a long way to go yet. Unfortunately I don't find many over here in England, so I have to pay a lot of postage all the time.

15. Nick Flores

Nick Flores

A few of those records are worth enough to build you guys a sweet ride....

16. cool tthread -

17. Drag Beat is the one with the Tom McMullen Roadster on it...

[​IMG]

Here's a bigger pic of the Little Duece Coupe album...

[​IMG]

Here's a cool one I got a a garage sale!!!! $1.00!

[​IMG]

I've got another one with just live racing and the anouncer,but I can't find it!

18. dang, i dig for records atleast twice a week, and have never seen some of these, well maybe i have but just over looked them because they are not funk, soul dico, hip hop, punk, new wave, new soul, house, pop, etc....... maybe i should start looking, because some of them have pretty cool cover art:D

19. mrtc4w

mrtc4w

HOLY BATMAN LP!!!:eek:

[​IMG]

Picked it up at an antique show for $15.00 Kool record but has a lot of scratches and skips.:mad:

Marty

20. wickedgoodracer

wickedgoodracer

here is one of mine,recorded 1962 in sanford Maine
    features Walt Arfon's Green Monster

Attached Files:

21. I picked this up recently for my collection. The music is better than usual. It's produced by Bob Keene, Del-Fi records, ca. 1963

[​IMG]

22. mrtc4w

mrtc4w

Some of my recent additions:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Marty

23. Old-Soul

Old-Soul

Haybum and his blue dick???

Never heard of 'em! :p

24. mrtc4w

mrtc4w

Neither did until I bought the album.:confused:

Marty

25. mrtc4w

mrtc4w

Is there an online storage area for music? Like photobucket is for pictures and videos.

I finally have recorded a couple of my albums but my cd burner died. I want to send some music to someone but with all the computer viruses going around I am nervous about doing that.

Marty

26. denis4x4

denis4x4
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Colorado

A lot of those albums were giveaways at car shows when you bought a subscription to HRM, CC, MT or R&C. There was sort of promo deal between Petersen and Capitol records in the 1960's.

The Speedy Bill collection of album covers is at the Petersen through June of next year.
    Check the website for some photos.

27. Nik

Nik

Something new for me to make my wife mad with. :)

28. mrtc4w

mrtc4w

A couple that were "lost" in my mess:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I was real happy to get the Dick Dale one because I had never seen it before.

Marty

29. mrtc4w

mrtc4w

I finally got around to framing and hanging some of my albums. Sorry for the fuzzy pics, I must have been nervous.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The two frames on the upper right are wood and the others are plastic. I like the wood ones better.

Marty

30. Old-Soul

Old-Soul

Those LP frames are pretty rad. I got a couple when they were on sale at the local craft shop (Hey, I was in there with my sister ok!) but so far have only hung one up. They are kinda cheap, slightly too big as you can see the edges of the LP cover all the way around. I put some black paper behind them to hide the edges. But I swear, the next person who comes into my place and askes why I have a framed Beatles cover hanging from my wall...(it's "Out Of Our Head" by the Rolling Stones...)