Register now to get rid of these ads!

History NHRA Junior Stock

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by colesy, Aug 12, 2007.

1. I'll be damned.You're saying Ron drove the car at the Gators? I'm good friends with Ron too. I haven't seen him in about ten years.Too bad he had to quit driving.
    Who drove it at Phenix City the week before?
    We were there too.
    We didn't qualify at the Gators either with this car:

[​IMG]

2. claymore

claymore
    BANNED

More Johnny please

3. 67 W-30

67 W-30
    from N.E. Ohio

I remember that wagon - was it a 255HP 69? Maybe a 68? cant tell from pic. We werent at Phenix city week before Gators in 72 -- Soooo I went back and looked at my records and --- Mea Culpa --- I bought the car in 73 not 72 --- So it was 73 Gators that Ron drove the car, not 72. Did you happen to notice the closeness of the 2 car numbers in the pix--- your wagon is 1604 and Parker's is 1606. Anyway, just curious? Did you continue to use the single slapper traction bar on your 66's, including your "hybrid" 4DR Convertible after returning to Stock Elim?

4. TMcCrea

TMcCrea
    from Maryland

Beaver Bob ran a "Jr Stock" eliminator this year. His version is period correct looking cars ( no hood scoops, customizing, electronics, trans-brakes, etc.). A '55 with a 454 is acceptable as long as the car looks stock.

5. Vinnie,

I know that you are reading this each day ! When are you going to join and give us some input? With your time on the starting line at Raceway and your time with Supinski and "The Mangler"- { Mason }, you must have alot to contribute. Even only using two fingers to type ,it might take a little longer to put your 2 cents in but I know we would enjoy it.

Dom

6. Bob Rice

Bob Rice

The 2dr hardtop that you refer to may be the same car that was campained by Abston & Gafnea from AL which is now owned and raced by Richard Feldman.
    Bob Rice

7. Bob Rice

Bob Rice

Last edited: Aug 24, 2009
  8. 67 W-30

67 W-30
    from N.E. Ohio

Bob -
    You mean Richie Feldman from E. Livepool OH, the guy that has been running 65's or 66's for 40 years??? I just thought he changed bodies from time to time to fit a class. Never knew he bought a racecar from anyone. Didnt he win at Maple Grove one year with that same old car he ran back in the 60"s?? He only lives about 40 miles from me and I've known him since i ran my 66. Small world - eh??

9. Tony Janes

Tony Janes

Bob: The first picture is Pomona and the next two were taken at Fremont.

10. P426

P426
    BANNED
    from New Jersey

I took one semester of typing class back in the 8th grade; not that I wanted to but I had to choose between other (more boring) classes to fill out that semester's curriculum. I never, ever, thought it would come in handy one day. Alas, with the advent of the personal computer and Internet, it has come in very handy.

Pete

11. Bob Rice

Bob Rice

I was told by a pretty reliable source that the current Feldman car was the old Abston & Gafnea '66 but I could be wrong. I have an older pic of Feldman's car, let me see if I can find it.
    Bob

12. Bob Rice

Bob Rice

Thanks Tony. He said that he would be adding more to his website.
    Bob

13. P426

P426
    BANNED
    from New Jersey

Wow, some great shots there! Thanks Bob, I look forward to seeing them!

[​IMG]

Regards,

Pete

14. Bob Rice

Bob Rice

Pete,
    If you take your time you can use a cloning tool and get rid of the watermark! LOL
    Bob

15. P426

P426
    BANNED
    from New Jersey

Bob, I don't have that much time. :D

Pete :)

16. P426

P426
    BANNED
    from New Jersey

From a private message I received:

"Some schlup oiled down the track at the old Hyde Park Dragstrip in Newark, OHio on the run prior to the wreck.
    The track crew spread oil dry the full length of the track and then swept and cleaned it up in the starting line area
    and 1st 100 feet. Well you know where this is going -- Ron was staged in that oiled down lane for the next race.
    He left the line just fine but when he shifted into 4th gear, he was right in some loose oil dry and the car broke
    traction and went out of control and he spun out and flipped. Yea, I was there and watched the whole thing
    from by the starting line!! It only rolled about twice and landed upright. The only injury he received was from
    a universal joint that way laying on the back seat floor and it flew forward and got up front and hit him in the
    forehead and gave him a huge goose egg. The next day the car went into the shop and we started the job of
    re-bodying it. There was no frame or suspension damage. The car missed only one weekend of racing and the
    following weekend it was back on the track with the new body installed and running just as good as ever---
    maybe even better. The car really hooked after that!! Then it was on to Englishtown for the historic Stock
    Eliminator win!! In that final he had John Dianna covered at the 3/4 mark and slowed to i think the records show
    a 12.74 final round time. His slowest run of the day. All four other rounds were between 12.60 and 12.64!"

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Pete

Last edited: Aug 25, 2009
  17. OLD-OLD TIMER

OLD-OLD TIMER
    from indiana

Hello New member here spent 2 days over 12 hours reading this enjoyed very much
    Have one correction #2724 pg 137 3rd car back was mine #975 maroon 1961 pontiac
    9 pass wagon 368 SD ran the best of 13.98 100+mph got to the final 4 Car kept slowing down got beat running 14.04. after the Nats took it apart found a wrist pin
    1/8 to 1/4 inch in cyl wall. Sold the car that fall to John Beechwood who ran at 1969
    Nats. best tines for him 13.70 or so. THANKS for the memories!!!
    old-old timer
    P.S. Used to be Marty Barratt's helper at the Nats and indy raceway park

18. P426

P426
    BANNED
    from New Jersey

[​IMG]

Welcome to the thread, Old-Old Timer! Thanks for sharing your experiences. Pictures are great, for sure,
    but it's the history behind the pix that makes them come alive. Speaking of pictures, if you have any, we'd
    appreciate seeing them!

Best regards,

Pete

19. P426

P426
    BANNED
    from New Jersey

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Pete

20. P426

P426
    BANNED
    from New Jersey

21. P426

P426
    BANNED
    from New Jersey

Tweed, this is the car I saw circa 1971 I told you about!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    (Ralley Bob photo)

Pete

22. P426

P426
    BANNED
    from New Jersey

[​IMG]
    (Ralley Bob photo)

Pete

23. P426

P426
    BANNED
    from New Jersey

Too freaking cool!

[​IMG]

Pete

24. colesy

colesy

Welcome aboard Old Timer! I could have sworn that was the Lumley & Saunders Pontiac but if you say no, that's good enough for me. If you have any photos of your 61 we'd sure love to see them. Thanks for sharing a few memories and please feel free to share more. (Color photo from Bob Rice).

Attached Files:

25. Small world here, isn't it? These pics are from Connecticut Dragway
    In the first 67 442 pic, the 63 GP next door was mine.It was my first trailered racecar . (421,tri-power, 4 speed, G/Stock)
    In the next photo, you can see my 61 Catalina tow car. You can't see the factory 8-lug wheels in that shot
    John Hillman , (442), Joe Santangelo, (68 ChevyII, A/S and SS/D), and I, were all in the same car club where we worked on our cars and traveled to the races together.

26. 67 W-30

67 W-30
    from N.E. Ohio

yep -
    He still owned it when you saw it --- right after that it went to "Doc" tor Jack Robinson - as pictured. I believe it was sold after springnationals b/c Ron's 71 H/SA was at Indy that year along with Dr. Jacks! I have pix of both cars at 71 Nationals.

P.S. - thanks for the "little correction" via the photo caption --- I said I tyhought he ran 12.74 against Dianna but the caption puts the run as 12.78 -- also note the MPH - slowin' down at the finish line!!! Another story about the HO towin the HO pic in next post.

27. 67 W-30

67 W-30
    from N.E. Ohio

Pete -
    Here's another good "story" --- You like stories behind the pix!!!
    This story is about this pic showing the HO towing the HO.

First part of story -
    The HO tow car is a REAL TRUE HO!! The race version HO is the "clone" version that we converted in the Chesrown shop!! How ironic is that??

Second part of story -
    The "tow" car NEVER towed the race car!!! Look close at the picture and you can see the trailer is sitting on the trailer jack. They just backed up the HO in front of it and took the pic ----Thought it would be a "cool" shot!!

3rd Part of story --
    BOTH HO cars were owned by BEN PRICE (NOTE HIS NAME ON SIDE OF RACE CAR).
    The REAL HO was his "daily driver" at the time.
    Ben owned the race car --Garey prepared it and raced it (along with the Ramrod - had both cars running that season). After the season Ben sold the car to another local racer -- and it didnt get very far from home. This the car that was found about 2 years ago by my good friend,Steve Hunkins of Columbus, OH who is in process of restoring it to the retro Racecar trim. I think i have sent you pix of the car in resto progress!
    T.

28. DW31S

DW31S
    from Sparks,MD

Hi Guys-- Thanks so much for ALL the neat Oldsmobile pictures and stories. My lead on the Pohanka Olds racecar info. turned up a big fat ZERO. Oh well, you never know. I hope that soon more pics of Anderson Olds earlier cars will be posted. Stay tuned... Keep the Oldsmobile photos coming. Thanks again, Dave

29. DW31S

DW31S
    from Sparks,MD

I noticed the picture of the 1970 W31 has the car in H/S. According to the date on the photo it is somewhat late in the 1971 season. My 1969 W31 was in F/S in 1969 and G/S in 1970 and early 1971. Both cars are 4-speed "post" models. Any ideas? I have a copy of the 1970 N.H.R.A. rulebook, but do not have the 1971. Just curious. Thanks, Dave

30. Paul B

Paul B

Markyac i was on at work today spotted Your GP . Didn't realize it was at CT. Dont know how i remembered that car, cant even remember what i had for lunch. Pauly