Register now to get rid of these ads!

History NHRA Junior Stock

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by colesy, Aug 12, 2007.

1. 56 Pontiac I/SA

56 Pontiac I/SA
    from Maryland

Here's a pic I took @ Cecil of really-nice-guy Doc Jack Robinson in 71. Doctor Jack -- a topnotch dentist, was warming the tires up just a bit in his Lubick Olds I/SA wagon, as his omnipresent crew chief (forget his name) struggles to keep the beast from doing a donut. And this was just a time run!

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

2. 67 W-30

67 W-30
    from N.E. Ohio

steve -
    That pic musta been taken a very short time before he bought the Chesrown car! Unless he ran both of em for a while after getting the new car?? - eh?
    Here is pic of his "new car" that i took at 71 natonals.
    Tweed
    [​IMG]

3. 56 Pontiac I/SA

56 Pontiac I/SA
    from Maryland

Here's 'Doctor Jack,' a bit earlier, in a rare smokeless moment.

[​IMG]

PS: Sorry for the poor quality images. They are photos of photos. Alas, both Steve and Johnny V are sans scanner.

4. X426X

X426X
    from OhiO

"All those rockets look alike and sound like tractors!"

(jk)
    :cool:

5. bundyracingdaman

bundyracingdaman

Mr. Rice on post #3811, is Charlie Smiths 55 the same 55 run by Tim Neja? do you or any other hambers have any more photos of either nejas cars? my first car was a 57 210 2-door wagon and I always liked Tom Nejas 57 wagon

6. DW31S

DW31S
    from Sparks,MD

I just want to say KEEP THE OLDSMOBILES COMIN'!!! They are some outstanding photos and bring back A LOT of fond memories. As to the comment about "Rockets sounding like tractors"..... Well, let's just say--I don't get it; I can't ever remember too many tractors beating Dianna for Stock titles, or any tractors setting any National Records. Until next time.....Dave

7. Bob Rice

Bob Rice

The Junior Stock pictures I ordered from Jim Handy arrived today. The quality is great and the service was exceptional. Now we just need the west coast guys to indentify the car for us.

Attached Files:

8. Bob Rice

Bob Rice

Last one for tonight.

Attached Files:

9. Chuck Norton

Chuck Norton
    from Division 7

I know the Aceves Brothers. They've been racing out here as long as most of the rest of us. They are connected to "Brooklyn Bob" Mulry who now has, arguably, the fastest K/SA car in the country. At least he was the fastest when he came to the track. Usually, we see him only a couple of times a season now that we're all well past Social Security age. As far as I know, he's never unleashed it at sea level but it's easily capable of 11.50s and probably a bit more.

The Aceves brothers were from the Gilroy/Hollister area of Central California, between Fremont and Salinas. Now, they're retired and live in the foothills of the Sierra Nevada. Good people. Tough racers. Treasured friends.

c

10. Tony Janes

Tony Janes

The Charley Smith 55 is Tim Neja's old car.

11. bundyracingdaman

bundyracingdaman

Thanx Tony, Is this the same 55 that was recently up for sale (or trade for a street rod type car)? Do you by any chance have any photos of Tom Nejas 57 wagon?

12. X426X

X426X
    from OhiO

The 455 Olds engine sounds like no other engine. That "boom uh- boom uh- boom uh..." sound that all the long-stroke 455 engines make during a burnout in the waterbox = tractor!

13. 442Mike

442Mike

It's that MoPar mentality Dave. They all think their shit don't stink.

14. 442Mike

442Mike

For the gentleman that was looking for some 65 Olds pics. Both pics were taken at Sanford, Maine. The second pic has Woody out on Bruce Wheeler's GTO.

Attached Files:

15. 442Mike

442Mike

Not vintage, just a kicking 65. Owner is John Stolpa from Rocket Racing.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 27, 2009
  16. X426X

X426X
    from OhiO

Seems a couple of the Oldsmobile guys have almost as much of a sense of humor as most Pontiac guys.

BTW, I race an OT '71 442 bracket car for my brother when time permits. Hell, even Joe Mondello himself gave me a gold watch, a big stack of twenties and a $1000.00 worth of product for whoopin' everybody at the Olds Nats at Norwalk years ago. Joe laughed when I told him "all those rockets look alike and sound like tractors" during the victory ceremony (but his wife sure glared at me).

17. Tim Neja

Tim Neja
    from SoCal

Hi Guys!! It's been a VERY long time since I did any drag racing. But I pulled the old car out of a barn 2 years ago--and it's nearly ready to run again!! I'll have it out at Fontana to play sometime in late Sept or Oct. And it's been completely re-stored and updated. Unfortunately, it was in the process of converting to Super Stock in 1973--so it's not in "pure" Jr Stock form. It's got 13" tires under it and an updated 383 stroker with 5 speed trans. Other than that--it's cosmetically identical to it's Jr Stock years from 67 to 72! Good to see some old friends here--- Tom would have been proud his old wagon is still running!! Very cool!!!
    Tim Neja

18. Tim Neja

Tim Neja
    from SoCal

This car was owned by Bill Allen--- my brother Tom helped him with some work on the car. It campaigned briefly in 1969-70-- Bill got it from his high school where it started life as a HS Project car!!
    He also later sold it with a matching set of WCFB Carburators off a Corvette that I NEVER got back!!! WHere are you Bill???:)

19. colesy

colesy

Welcome aboard Tim, it's great to have you here. Glad to see you've decided to restore the car.

Attached Files:

20. TMcCrea

TMcCrea
    from Maryland

Tim,

The featured cars at next year's York Reunion will be Jr. Stockers. The show is run by Darwin Doll, former Div. 1 Director, who says it is time to honor the Jr. Stockers. There is a nostalgia race on Sunday at Beaver Springs where there is a Jr. Stock class. Your '55 will fit right in.

Come on back and join us, I'll save you a pit space.

Attached Files:

21. biscaynes

biscaynes

welcome tim, your checkerboard roof '55 was one of my favorite jr stockers! ;)
    any past or current pictures to share?

22. What year is this staging lane picture from? 1968? Looks like the In-Bomber lined up in back...'57 sport coupe, light blue with a black vinyl top...could it be?
    -Dean

Attached Files:

23. Looks more like this in black and white...
    -Dean

Attached Files:

24. Tony Janes

Tony Janes

This time trial picture is from the September 1970 Orange County points meet. I won the second round of the eliminator against Tim and was lucky enough to go on and win Stock Eliminator due to several red lights. At the 1970 Supernationals at Ontario in November of 1970, I lost to Tim on a holeshot in the second round.

Attached Files:

25. Tim Neja

Tim Neja
    from SoCal

Tony --always a tough competitor-- fell asleep for some reason at that race!!! I sold the original 55 Jr Stocker later that year---and built another identical one that I used in 71 and 72. Went to runner up at the Irwindale 71 Div 7 points meet losing to Dave Kempton. Shortly after that--NHRA ruled all the "old cars" had to move to Super Stock. That's where this car was intended to run when I retired from drag racing as a result of the "74 oil recession"!!
    FWIW
    Tim

26. colesy

colesy

27. 442Mike

442Mike

Hmmmm, maybe this MoPar guy ain't so bad after all. And I wouldn't get Mary mad at you, she's deadlier than Joe is!!

28. Eracer

Eracer
    from Wisconsin

Attached Files:

29. bundyracingdaman

bundyracingdaman

Tim, welcome to the thread! Im glad you decided to restore the 55, please post when you take it to fontana (or Irwindale?) Id like to see the car run! do you have any "in progress photos" of the restoration? any detailed photos? also any old photos of Toms old wagan? Thanx!

30. I have to disagree. Our Mopar shit stinks like all others, but you have to admit there is no sound like a 426 max wedge with an 18' extension on Davis step headers. It is pure music.

Dom