Register now to get rid of these ads!

Wake up ! It's time, Sept 2009 Banger meet

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by brjnelson, Sep 1, 2009.

1. i was told that the lizzard speed head was bad for knock, but not the lion
    just run premium fuel and retard the timing a bit and you should be ok
    tk

2. Piewagn

Piewagn

Thanks Cd!!
    There's no way it's coming in at 800 rpm, it's more like 1800. I did stretch the springs last night. I did get it running much better. What should the overall timing be?? I've heard 30 deg. That sounds a little steep to me!

3. Crazydaddyo

Crazydaddyo

I think the stock B dist. has a total of 24 degs of advance and it comes in early and pretty fast. Like it's all in by 1600 - 1700 rpm. I set my stock B at 8 deg adv. at idle ( @ 600 rpm) that gives me @ 32 degs at full advance. I am now running an FSI distributor and it has 29 deg mech advance that comes all in @ 1750 rpm. I set it the same 8 deg. at idle. That gives me @ 5 deg more total advance, but it doesn't ping like the stocker does if I set it to that much total advance. The stocker is probably a little loose.

It starts very easy and there is no knock or ping. Good throtle response and last week when it was hot (mid 90's) it was running @ 170 degs on the freeway @ 70-75 mph. Around town in traffic it never got over 185 deg.

That's what is working for me.

4. BCCHOPIT

BCCHOPIT

I got my flanges to make some srainless steel headers and intakes. I have one header sold I hope to give it to the guy at Hershey.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. andyg

andyg

nice looking flanges...how 'bout a price on just the flange....they are ss?

6. andyg

andyg

I had a lion speed head on mine. it's .030 over and i could not retard the predetonation out of it. i could but it run like crap. this super winfield is better but to charlie's defense i really think my problem is slop in the timing. i have 10-15 degrees...maybe more in the lower shaft or gears. i haven't had time to check it out. i suspect that the sharp edges in the combustion chamber are suspect if the head is the cause. sharp edges heat up more than the rest of the chamber and can easily cause predetonation.

7. andyg

andyg

richfox,
    what do you like about the dodge engine over ford banger? i wish i could have talked to you last year at b'ville but everyone was so busy!

8. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

5 mains was the first thing. It's 212 inches stock which is good. I really liked my Plymouth but Roy kept asking me about the Dodge. I guess when you have a Plymouth people think you must know about Dodges. So I was given the Dodge to take to El Mirage so anyone who wanted to look at it, could. Than I just kept looking at it. Then Bill Smith bought my Plymouth for his museum. What was I suspossed to do?

9. thepolecat

thepolecat
    1. S.F.C.C.

you guys are way smarter than me. I am just a plug and play guy- I move it- dive it, move it again till it works.

10. MrModelT

MrModelT

As already mentioned either a Mag or Distributer will work fine, though the old Mags' (like the Bosch, Splitdorf, etc) tend to throw a much hotter spark.

Though I would love to run a Mag, I run my '26 roadster off of a 12v distributer from Texas T parts. It is simply a custom casting with a VW distributer head unit. It is very reliable and I can get replacement parts locally from NAPA.

The MTFCA boys are acctually much nicer and far more understanding than you think. Most of them either have, are building or just enjoy speedsters, hopped up and "Gowjob" T's as much as a stock one. I see posts on speedsters, speed parts, convertions, etc frequently on the forum. It is one of THE BEST source of Model T info and support out there.

Don't be afraid to post there...If your car is at least 50% T and does not sport a small block chevy, your "in the club" as it were.

MrModelT

11. I got an advanceable timing light and made a pointer and mark on the pulley today. Checked it out , my initial timing was way advanced. I set it at about 10 degrees retarded, so now with full lever it advances it about 24 degrees. I can still make it detonate , when I get on it hard, but much better now. Thanks for the replies guys.

Last edited: Sep 17, 2009
  12. BCCHOPIT

BCCHOPIT

INPUT NEEDED....
    Hey guys I am making a new intake for my car my old one runs a 94 and the runners are 1.375 tube same size as the intake bore in the block. I wont 2 carbs on my new one should I make my runners 1.5 and bore the block. I am also thinking of running the carbs 90 deg. from the norm ( all the bores in line 00 00 ) the linkage will be fun.... I just dont know if the carbs will mix good or not.
    thanks Bill

13. Piewagn

Piewagn

Since we're on the subject of timing, my timing kit came today!! I installed it, and the timing was way off. I still couldn't get much advance at lower rpm, so I took the dist apart again and stretched the springs more. Advance starts right off idle now, I set it for a total advance of 30 deg.. I still had a lean concern, so I started to investigate:
    #1 The copper fuel line I used was pinched to half the size from the ferrul when I tightened it.

#2 According to the tag that came with the carb/manifold combo, there was supposed to be a 140 jet in the main, and a 135 jet in the secondary ( it's a Weber, so it's metric ). Well, they were backwards! I swapped them around and it improved. I took the carb apart again and drilled the primary jet to .059", man what a difference. I think I still need to install a larger idle jet though, I have a little stumble off idle. This circuit is critical to efficient operation.

So, in the end, she's really running a whole lot better, and doesn't "lug" any more! I've also cured my detonation concern. Now, I need to get her on the open highway, and see what it will do with the overdrive kicked in!!

Overall a productive night!

14. BCCHOPIT

BCCHOPIT

Piewagn...
    what size fuel line are you running?

15. Here's some pics from the North Central F.A.S.T. Speed Meet and Flat Hill Climb in Northwood ,IA

Attached Files:

16. Piewagn

Piewagn

1/4" BC. I went back to the steel line.

17. Bigcheese327

Bigcheese327

Clayton,

You’re right. I was being to hard on the MTFCA forums. I think that the day I posted I’d just read one too many posts from people with “touring” type restorations who had been given the same response “Henry didn’t intend that modification, otherwise he’d have done it at the factory” and I didn’t want to hear that. By and large, however, I think the MTFCA forums are pretty open minded so long as you’re staying with a T engine, and they seem to have a lot of fun with their cars.

BTW, I love your ‘26, it’s an amazing looking car.

-Dave

18. MrModelT

MrModelT

Dave,
    I know what you mean, have seen it before myself. Thats why I love the MTFCA forum because, as you mentioned, if it has a T engine in it they are all over it! The do drive the heck out of there cars and enjoy them greatly, so for the most part any mods that will make a T safer and improve drivability are embraced.
    I didn't know what they were gonna say about my roadster at first, but they just loved it!
    Thanks for that on my roadster too, I'm happy with the way it turned out and I'm glad others like it as much as I do. It's a good feeling to get that kind of positive feedback on your first build...or any build for that matter.
    Clayton "MrModelT"

19. RussTee

RussTee

I agree guys used to follow the t forum myself a number of years ago when i was building my t roadster most Tee owners have a kink towards a speedster and are generally helpful have fun guys luv your cars

20. Looking for info on the various 6 volt fuel pumps. I don't mean the autopulse type I mean the inline type. I'm considering installing the pump and regulator (if needed) under the tank.

21. BCCHOPIT

BCCHOPIT

Hey Bill I got a Carter in mine
    [​IMG]

22. Stick Shift

Stick Shift
    from LENA IL

I got an inline pump from Autozone last year. It seemed to be pretty much the same pump that was put on the car back in the early 1980's from when the car was fixed up last. lol

23. BCCHOPIT

BCCHOPIT

24. Piewagn

Piewagn

That video is the old engine, was kinda tired. I'm still running with no pump. I got her runnin' sweet now! See my previous post. Smooth as silk! Even the trans is quieter. I'll be goin' for a ride in the morning, I want to get her up to speed with the overdrive engaged. I'f I don't have any issues with fuel supply, I'll go without the pump. I did open the jets up some, but in overdrive the rpm's drop way down. I think I'll be ok.

25. Piewagn

Piewagn

Welded up my headlamp bar tonight! I'll be hangin' my '31 Cal. plate from it. I think it came out pretty good. Headlights don't shake around any more!!

Attached Files:

26. BCCHOPIT

BCCHOPIT

mine would run lean up hills and when I was about 1/2 tank and going up hill I would run out of gas. I ran it with know pump for a hole summer I just got gas every time drove it
    Bill

27. Piewagn

Piewagn

My carb looks to be alot lower than yours. I'm gonna run the tank down and see how it goes. The guy that built my setup said I could run it down to below a 1/4 tank........we'll see!

28. Scott Miller

Scott Miller
    from Tampa, Fla

ummm, whats up with that first picture??? :eek: :confused:

Attached Files:

29. BCCHOPIT

BCCHOPIT

good eye.....

30. kenagain

kenagain
    from so cal

Bill, I got one from a Jacksons old time parts. inline 6 volt unleaded gas #e8011 comes with a pressure reducer, clamp and all parts to install too . It is a Master brand they are in minnysoda ph 800 333 8059 this was $48.45 shipped off ebay couple years back. I also bought the same one for a 12 volt project A too
    Hope this helps
    Ken