Register now to get rid of these ads!

History NHRA Junior Stock

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by colesy, Aug 12, 2007.

1. colesy

colesy

NHRA Spring Nats 1970 coverage from SS & DI magazine. [/I]

Attached Files:

2. P426

P426
    BANNED
    from New Jersey

I never went into Trenton Speed Shop but passed by it a few times in the mid/late-1970s and last time in 1988 on my way to GARS Automotive (an automotive machine shop) located not too far from TSS.

Speaking of GARS Automotive, a fellow by the name of Mike Howzen owned it. I'm pretty sure he was involved with some race car of his own (or a partner) at one time; may have been a Junior Stock that's why I bring it up. I never asked him specifically but I did bring up the subject once when I brought in a pair of 426 Hemi cylinder heads to get rebuilt. All I recall Mike saying: "It no longer costs a nickle to race."

Btw, can I presume his shop handled Trenton Speed Shop's machine shop needs?

Pete

P.S. Sorry to hear about the proprietor of TSS.

Last edited: Oct 28, 2009
  3. P426

P426
    BANNED
    from New Jersey

Can you elaborate? By "keep it genuine" do you mean on-topic?

Pete

4. P426

P426
    BANNED
    from New Jersey

Man, I bet! Sharp-looking Mopar! Those Cragar S/S's really make it!

Pete

5. colesy

colesy

Al Rowley and his Trenton sponsored 57.

Attached Files:

6. novadude

novadude

Can anyone give me a history of the "candy stripes" on the roof of so many jr. stockers (like the '57 above)? Who started it? Why was it very common on these cars? Just seems weird that so many did the same paint scheme on the roof.

7. P426

P426
    BANNED
    from New Jersey

I was told by a longtime racer once that it was to identify ones car in the pits, especially amongst the sea of similar-looking 1955, 1956 and 1957 Chevies.

As to who started it, I don't know. The first prominent car to have them I'd have to say are the Ramchargers with the candy red stripes on the roofs of their Dodges.

Pete

8. 56 Pontiac I/SA

56 Pontiac I/SA
    from Maryland

Nice car, but this image also depicts one of my fave images of 'Buster,' (R.I.P.) http://articles.latimes.com/1995-10-30/sports/sp-62834_1_starting-line , looking ever-so dapper (and so very-cool and nonchalant) -- resplendent in Cuban heels and pristine 'whites,' embellished with NHRA logo.

I'm afraid they 'don't make um' like Buster Couch any more!

[​IMG]

Prolog:
    Late Sunday afternoon, when darkness had settled over Pomona, Buster Couch pressed his starting button for the last time--for the final run of the Winston Select top-fuel elimination.

"I'm glad it was dark," he said. "I didn't want all those folks to see a grown man cry."

Last edited: Oct 29, 2009
  9. SundayNiagara

SundayNiagara

Buster was one-of-a-kind! Two a-comin', two a-goin'!

10. capsgs

capsgs
    from Ohio

I thought I read somewhere that the stripes were indicative of a division 1 car. Although I don't remember where I read it.

Cap

11. 60s Racer

60s Racer
    from northeast

The Ramchargers "Candymatic" cars had stripes down the top and sides of the roof and down the deck lid. The Div 1 cars were just on the roof and although some cars from other divisions made have had them it was more a mark of "NHRA Division 1 Gods Country" remember?

Frankly I'd like to see them come back.

12. bundyracingdaman

bundyracingdaman

any of you guys racing stock today, if NHRA hadnt droped the ax on JR.STOCK in the 70s, with current rules do you think say a 55-57 would or could be competative in stock eliminator? ( ok probably a dumb question but Im wondering what they would look and run like under current rules, if they could at all)

13. Daverd

Daverd
    from Boston Ma

I thought my 71 442 w30 sounds like a Boat exhaust
    (that what my wife said !!)kinda does !!

14. Another paint scheme I have scene is the one the "In-Bomber" has, in which the sides of the car are painted a solid color and the entire top of the car front to back is white. Looks like it became semi popular in 1969. The Marv Ripes/Barkley '57 had it, as did another '57 210 hardtop that was red and white (can't recall the name off hand)...
    -Dean

15. X-TECH MAN

X-TECH MAN
    from Florida

IHRA has a couple running with current rules and run pretty strong. One is a 55 Chebbie sedan 265 Q/SA and runs in the mid to low 13's. All are automatics though. No sticks.

16. 67 W-30

67 W-30
    from N.E. Ohio

Dont have the one I started with ( 55 chev K/S), but I DO have the one i "ended" with -- 66 Belair 4-dr SS/R. Been covered up with a blue tarp in the back of my shop since i quit racing her as a P/S in 79!! Still has the running gear in her too!!

I'm sure that I am not alone!! Who else has one of theirs?? Lets hear from ya all!!

17. SundayNiagara

SundayNiagara

Should NHRA create classes for the '55-57 Chevies?
    Mark

18. Hoosier Hurricane

Hoosier Hurricane

I don't have my first one, but I still have my second blown '57 Ford that got hit by the 10 year rule about the same time it was completed. I have raced this car every year since 1972 in IHRA Stock, and later as a bracket car. It still has blown 312 power, and I still race it regularly. Haven't checked the rules lately, but the only things that would prevent it from being a legal IHRA stocker are the aluminum radiator and rear mounted battery.

John

19. 65deluxe

65deluxe

To narrow of a field. How about something along the lines of a nostalgia stock, '55 through '65?

20. Great idea, nostalgia sells.

21. jakethefake

jakethefake
    from fla.

anyone remember these DRAG STRIPS ? Vineland-VARGO-hATFIELD-LANGHORNE I THINK OF THEM OFTEN THANKS JAKE

22. X-TECH MAN

X-TECH MAN
    from Florida

The radiator is legal in IHRA. Just move the battery back up front and have at it.

23. MARK 66 CORVETTE

MARK 66 CORVETTE
    from new jersey

Raced at Vineland almost every week back in 63,64,65. I ran a 62 G/S chev . Tony Pizzi ran his A/S 62 Biscayne with Danny Salvucci, Jerry Woods ran his B/gas 55 Chev,Gary Tomasella ran a 65 426 Hemi Coronet " Homicidal". We would hook up the race cars and tow right to 75/80 Dragaway for the next day. Sometimes we would go to Vargo first on friday night then the other tracks. Sure do remember those Tracks. Vineland drew big names, Malcom Durham, Jack Nicholson, Ronnie Sox. Sox showed up for a match race and would not run from the Christmas Tree. They had to get a flag man for the race. Gone what was some great times.

24. jersey greaser

jersey greaser

man do i ever remember those classes,ran N/S with a 54 chevy named the stove bolt. popped the record from 17.4 to 16.9 seconds at a national meet.

also going back that far. i remember don garlits breaking the 200mph at island dragway.in great meadows nj. haveing his shoot not open, going though the sand pit,drag net,flipping head over rear 3 times,winding up,up side down on the rail road tracks.and helping take him out of the car. his back was broken, but big daddy made it. and don remember'd me when i first walked into his place in ocala fl.

we built race cars out of others junk,had fun doing it back then.

25. Tony Janes

Tony Janes

As far as classes for tri-fives, they are already there. Nhra only has to remove the wording "for 1960 and later automobiles" from the rule book. Then 55 through 57 chevys could compete in stock eliminator.

26. SundayNiagara

SundayNiagara

One can only hope that Tom Compton is reading this.

27. Tony Janes

Tony Janes

Tom Compton really dose not enter into this. It woukd be up to the stock super stock committee.

28. SundayNiagara

SundayNiagara

I sent Tom an email linking to this thread.

29. bundyracingdaman

bundyracingdaman

Tony ,Chuck, off the tops of your heads what type of a combo & & wieght break do YOU guys think could be competeative for a tri-five chevy?

30. Tony Janes

Tony Janes

I like the combo that I ran from 1967 to 1971. The 2door Belaire hardtop runs O/SA or P/SA at 215 horespower with the three speed automatic it would be very competive in class. The big draw back is the cost. I know where one is that I might get for 10,000. Then 10.000 paint and upholstery. 15,000 engine, trans and rear end. That is 35,000 and I am being conservative about the cost. It is a lower class stocker and they do not win in the eliminator very often.