Register now to get rid of these ads!

55 Dodge R Lancer Conv. Project

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by dart165, Oct 2, 2009.

1. dart165

dart165

alright, the floors are in!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. dart165

dart165

3. Squablow

Squablow

Looks like you're moving right along. These pictures will also be helpful in my build, since I need to know what parts of the floor are different in the convertible.

4. dart165

dart165

glad it could be of some help!

Right now we're deciding which way to go as far as suspension. As i mentioned, fatman has dropped uprights, andi assume 3" blocks are available for the rear, though it might be a better idea to set it up for air ride now, rather than later.

I dont think we have to notch the frame since we arent't trying to put it on the ground, but has anyone bagged a 55 or 6 that could give some advice or thoughts?

Anyone ever do bags over de-arched leaf springs? Thoughts on pros/cons?
    Or would it be smarter to do a 4 link set up the lincoln.

..or if there's another option that is overwhelmingly better, let me know!

5. dart165

dart165

Update time!

Filling the firewall:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. 440shawn

440shawn

Wow! great project coverage. Thanks

7. plym_46

plym_46
    from central NY

contact olddaddy of this forum he makes a disc brake conversion adapters, and is pretty reasonable, He also makes a front shock bracket that moves the top mount tot he frame ranter than the A arm. If you are looking for a different rear end the B body stuff is a pad relocation job away from a bolt in. Jeep Cherokee (not grand) work also. If you can find a 2wd drive version it likely a limited slip.

www.rustyhope.com

8. 56 Royal Lancer

56 Royal Lancer

Hell ya! Don't know how I missed this thread but it is great to see another one saved. Great "work-in-progress" thread, that's gonna be a kick-ass car when done.

9. 73RR

73RR

Nice car and very nice work! You may have said and I may have missed it, but where did you find the floors?

10. dart165

dart165

Ply 46, will do! thanks!

73RR, the floors we "rust free" parts from out west. in the end there was still fab work that needed to be done to get em as nice as they look now..

Thanks for the positive comments and good suggestions, more to come soon!

11. dart165

dart165

Got some questions for ya:
    -What generation of cherokee?
    -Are the grand and the regular different track widths?

12. Chaz

Chaz
    Member Emeritus

I lust for that car........

13. dart165, that is a beautiful car. I can't wait to see it completed. I had to laugh when I read that you wrote you have odd taste, I have been "accused" of that my whole life.

14. Lunatic

Lunatic
    from Carson,Ca.

keep up the good work...you turned a dodge cancer into a dodge lancer ..heh heh

15. dart165

dart165

small update:

detail of the lower firewall, and trans tunnel
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

16. dart165

dart165

ok so here's the floors finished and texture painted and sealed
    They came out beautiful!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

17. as a grand cherokee jeep owner the rearends are shit! your better off with a toyota 2wd truck rearend. the axles are larger diameter than 9" ford and they have correct bolt pattern for you car. but a car like this a 8 3/4 mopar is a must, gotta keep it all mopar. ragtop like this one deserves that. sweet car.

18. SteppinOut

SteppinOut

What rear end from a Cherokee are you guys referring to? Is it the 8 1/4 ? Anyone have the dimensions flange to flange for these rears?

Nice 55 Rag top and first class build. Definitely subscribing to this thread.
    :cool:

19. chad

chad

What kind of textured paint is that?? .Box liner? It looks really good....

20. dart165

dart165

Not sure about the dimensions of the cherokee rear, and i'll ask what kinda of paint it is. I've never seen it used before, but it looks like glossy crinkle paint...like bedliner.

Thanks for the positve commnts!

21. Scott K

Scott K

The Grand Cherokee is a 5 link-coil rear while the regular Cherokee is leaf spring.

I think track width for all the XJ (Cherokee-ALL), ZJ (Grand Cherokee 93-98), TJ(Wrangler 97-06) is 58.5"

Last edited: Nov 22, 2009
  22. dart165

dart165

cool, thanks for the info

Got some new pics, and there's been quite a bit of new headway made.
    I'll post up pics probably later this weekend!

23. InPrimer

InPrimer

Great looking car, I have a soft spot for 'verts, it's going to be a beauty!!!

24. 55mopar

55mopar

Awsome job your thread is very motivational. Makes me want to tackle the rusty floors on my 55. Your floors came out beautiful.

25. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

I think the rear ends are about 60" outside to outside, I have one in the shop now and I'll check tomorrow and post an accurate dimension. The Cherokees (XJ) and Wranglers (YJ & TJ) used Dana 35 for many years. They are Ok, but nothing special. Starting in the mid to late 90's they went to a Chrysler Corporate 8 1/4" which, in addition to Cherokees and Wranglers, was used in full size Dodge 1/2 tons, Dakotas, Dodge, Pymouth and Chrysler rear drivers (Diplomat.Fury, 5th Aves). The Cherokee are most useful for your purposes due to width and they are 4 1/2 bolt circle too. 6 cyl manual shift used 3.07's, 6 cyl automatics were 3.55's, 4 cyl (not common in XJ) sticks were 4.10/autos 3.73.

The later Grand Cherokee rear ends, blasted by another poster, are more troublesome. From '99 up they are a version of Dana 44 models, wider and use a 5" bolt circle. Avoid them.

Great build.............very nice workmanship, congrats!

26. dart165

dart165

ok so finally some pictures!

working on the decklid and doors:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

27. murfman

murfman

As to rear axles, be aware that most Jeep guys that do any off roading usually update to a Ford Explorer 8.8 axle. They are MUCH stronger than the D35 or rare D44 that come in the XJ Cherokees, are ~ 58 WMS to WMS, come with strong 31 spline axle shafts, and are easily found with 3.55/3.73/4.10 ratios and limited slip diffs. Also they are readily availble with Disc brakes and have the 5 on 4.5" pattern. The 8.8 has a strong aftermarket following thanks to the Mustang world, as well as the off road market. It is a great rear axle, and the Explorers are leaf sprung so there are simple leaf spring perches to cut off, nothing complicated. There are literally tons of the axles in junk yards right now. The Fore Explorer was the # 1 Cash For Clunker trade in, and the yards are full for the picking right now.

28. moparmonkey

moparmonkey
    from NorCal

Awesome work! My g/f has a '55 Dodge Coronet 2dr hardtop, the work you did on your floors may come in handy as hers are pretty rusty. I'll have to forward her this thread, she's "sickgirl" on here...

Keep up the good work! It'll look great when its finished! :cool:

29. dart165

dart165

Awesome! There are so many explorers at the local yard, that they dont know what to do with em. Oddly enough when we started lookin into rears we were thinking it would be great if explorers work, seeing as there is one every 3 cars in the yard. Thanks for the info!

more pics to come..

30. dart165

dart165