Register now to get rid of these ads!

Classic Coker Tires?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by losdiablotejano, Dec 8, 2009.

1. losdiablotejano

losdiablotejano

I am looking at buying COKER CLASSIC BLACKWALL TIRES and Salt Flat Special wheels for my 36 pickup. They advertise that they required tubes. Do you really have to use tubes if you use modern tubeless rims? I am looking at a front tire/wheel combination 650R16 tire 5.5X16 wheel and a rear tire/wheel combination 750X16 tire 7X16 wheel. Anyone have feedback or tire/wheel photos?

Last edited: Dec 8, 2009
  2. Imwalkin

Imwalkin
    from Tucson, Az

I ran them on my model A with no tubes. no problems. I think they say to do it for legal reasons.

3. I would think if they say use tubes they know what they are talking about,,,,why not ask them?

As for their tires I have used several sets of Coker Classics in the bias white walls with tubes on early rims and a set of Coker American Classic radials without tubes on aftermarket steelies. HRP

4. bobscogin

bobscogin

You could probably get away with it, but tube type and tubeless tires don't use compatible rim profiles. I think the difference is in the bead seat angles.
    Do they say that a tube type tire requires a tube for legal reasons? Of course. They can anticipate that someone will do it against their recommendations and ran them tubeless, but they just may know the requirement has something to do with tire design too.

Bob

5. kirby1374

kirby1374

why don't you want to run tubes?

6. losdiablotejano

losdiablotejano

When I spoke to someone at Coker tires, I asked him if the tires could be used without tubes. He told me they would hold air without tubes but said that they sell them to be used with tubes. I asked him if the bead was the same as tubeless and he said yes they are the same. It did sound like legal talk and that is why I am asking this question. Why not use tubes. I never thought I would be having tubes in one of my automobiles tires. I have been a muscle car person my whole life and still like some things a little modern.

7. Frenchy32

Frenchy32
    from arizona

Here are pictures of my tires and rims. I had to install tubes because they will not hold air. The wide white walls are 700x16 for the rear.

Frenchy

Attached Files:

8. lowsquire

lowsquire
    from Austin, TX

just stick tubes in them. Modern? what are you talking about?

9. gas pumper

gas pumper

I was told years ago that the tubeless tires had a different layer of rubber on the inside that would not pass air. And tube type did not have that final inside layer. In the last 40 years this may have changed.

10. hipkatgreaser

hipkatgreaser

gas pumper is right also the bead seat won't be correct and will cause anoying slow leak.

11. HOTRODRUBBER

HOTRODRUBBER

12. cuznbrucie

cuznbrucie

I am running Coker's Classic Blackwalls and I used the *radial tubes* that they advised me to use........I figure they ought to know more than I do.........here's a few pics:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I have run them for almost two years now and love them.....pricey but worth every cent.......they roll smoothly, handle well, and feel good........

CB

13. bobscogin

bobscogin

That should tell you something. Sounds like they expect potential litigation if a tube type tire is used without a tube. Look at it the other way around. They sure don't tell you to run a tube in a tubeless tire because they fear litigation.

Bob

14. thequietwon

thequietwon

Let me preface this by saying that I am going to run tubes on my '32...that being said, local drag racers (myself included) have for years run our slicks without tubes. The trick is to spread a little dishwashing detergent on the inside of the tire...
    Sam

15. bobscogin

bobscogin

He may want to do some research. By internet search, I was able to find that tube type tires use a 5º beads seat and tubeless use a 15º bead seat. That in itself tell me that the tires may not seat properly on the rim. Take it for what it's worth, but it sounds potentially unsafe to me.

Bob

16. losdiablotejano

losdiablotejano

Thanks for all the feedback, eveyone has good points and ideas to make you think. I guess I am going to make sure the Salt Flat Special's work with tubes.

17. 5brown1

5brown1

Check out Diamondback Tires. Their radials do not need tubes.
    Price is similar to Coker but I liked their selection better. I'm pleased with the ones I bought. Sorry about the picture size - computer illidiot.
    <input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden"><input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">

Attached Files:

18. PhoenixFear

PhoenixFear

I was going to ask a similar question about my '33 because I want to use the stock wire rims but with tubeless tires, but I guess my question has been answered. I'm assuming tubed tires are just fine for the street and freeway anyway.
    Edit: I looked through that Diamondback tires catalog, and I'm not finding any tires in my size (unless I'm overlooking it), I believe those rims are either a 19" or a 21"? Either way I'm not finding anything close.

Last edited: Dec 9, 2009
  19. losdiablotejano

losdiablotejano

Diamondback is a website that I will save and maybe use some time. Pretty cool looking tires but just not enough selection.

20. losdiablotejano

losdiablotejano

I have spent the past two nights searching for tall and thin tires and still be radial and tubeless. Here is what I came up with so far, give me some honest feedback. Gennie wheels 16X6 front and 16X7 rear. Firestone LT215/85R16 front (30.4 height 6.5 tread) Firestone LT235/85R16 rear (31.7 height 7.1 tread). Ok, I am not hard core old school.

Attached Files:

21. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

Honest assessment? Except for a few circumstances, radials tires do not look good on anything made before 1950. In my opinion, you should be looking at bias tires.

22. 54BOMB

54BOMB

With the "LT" rating on those tires its going to be a hell of a ride. Id look for something in lower tread ply rating. You not drving a dualie.:)

23. fuel pump

fuel pump
    Member Emeritus
    from Caro,MI

I run them as well and are really pleased with them.

24. 32gal

32gal
    from The OC

Just got my 32 back, took Cuznbrucies advice after Cruzr talked with him,and put a set of the Coker Classic radials like he has on his 32 coupe. Blackwalls of course. The true test will be on one of our crappy California freeways. As soon as the weather is right i will give them the acid test. They look fine, a good compromise .

25. 32gal

32gal
    from The OC

These are the ones i got for my 32

26. Weasel

Weasel

Looks over function and driveability? The reason manufacturers switched to radial tires was better performance and nowadays cars drive at higher speeds, corner better and stop better. The same with disc brakes - better braking in the wet and less prone to fade. Hot rods are performance enhanced vehicles. Is it worth sacrificing your safety and your life for the sake of form over function? - for me it certainly is not. Dead is not cool - unless you were James Dean, Elvis or Marilyn Monroe. If the manufacturer recommends tubes, you should run them.

I guess ultimately it is your life and your call, but if you have family this should bring another set of responsibilities. When I was four years old and my kid brother was two days old, my dad was killed in a '48 Packard when he hit a roundabout and the gas tank exploded. He was burned alive in that car. The reduced grip/braking ability of bias ply tires and drum brakes was probably a contributory factor, as there were skid marks on the road where the wheels were locked up and the braking distance was considerable. Had the car had disc brakes and radial tires, the accident might never have happened. My 0.02c

27. bobscogin

bobscogin

Yes. That would seem to be commensurate with the "traditional" theme of this forum. The majority of those on this board are here for that reason. If they wanted radial tires, and disk brakes they'd probably be hanging out somewhere else on the web. If the predominant criteria for building a car becomes attention to safety, where does one draw the line after disk brakes and radials ---anti lock brakes, air bags? Most here think that adherence to building with traditional components outweighs the risk of using non-period hardware on a traditional car. It's an individual decision based on individual risk acceptance.

Bob

28. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

This isn't a hot rod site... This is a traditional hot rod site... HUGE difference.

The radial vs. bias argument is old and boring. Either you get it or you don't. Maybe you don't get it... Or maybe I don't get it... In either case, the argument is the same and most are tired of it. Lets not do it all again.

29. cruzr

cruzr

I am going to put a set like 32gal got and cuznbrucie has on my coupe. they dont look that bad compared to a bias and the only reason i am going too is i drive the shit outa my coupe and the freeways are horrible here.........

i have always been a Traditional guy and still am,its just those dam grooves they carve in the road out here.

30. PhoenixFear

PhoenixFear

I'm still looking for some 19" tires for the '33. Any suggestions? Does Coker make some? Or would it be better and easier for me to put some smoothies on instead? Thanks.