Register now to get rid of these ads!

60 chevy impala auto trans swap?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by chadman, Jan 10, 2010.

1. chadman

chadman
    from illinois

Thinking about taking my old worn powerglide out of my 60 impala, and wanted to know what was a good replacement choice? 700r4 sounds super cool, but figure its a pain? turbo 350 will also be a choice, I am poor and don't buy new things, so any kinda swap will be low low buck!so just seeing if anybody out there done this to there chevy? if so let me know what it took to do it! thanks

2. hotrod-Linkin

hotrod-Linkin

350 -400 won't be much of a deal ,may have to alter drive shaft a bit. 700r,you will have to move mount crossmember and alter driveshaft for sure.

3. The Hank

The Hank
    from CO

Is the bell housing the same on the 2 speed V 3 speed? ,what plant do you have in the Impala?

4. low budget

low budget
    from Central Ky

350 will probably be cheaper too unless you come across a deal.
    Got any pics of the 60? I like,em

5. doesn't a `60 chevy have an X-frame? does that complicate it?

6. El KaMiNo KiD

El KaMiNo KiD

i think a 350 should bolt right up...i swapped the manual 3 spd. for a 350 in my 59 and it went in no problem...no modifications to the driveshaft...just had to get a new starter and flywheel...

7. chadman

chadman
    from illinois

I see thats what I will do then, stuff a 350 in there! its a 283 car, is there anybody that sells a shift indicator for a 60 chevy turbo 350?? I did this to my 56 wagon, they gave me a stock lense for it that looked like the original, but was the correct order for a 350 turbo! Here are a couple of pics of the car! also thinking about finding a pair of 15x7 chrome reverse for the back of the car and a set of 15x5 or 6 for the front with white lined bia's plys, if anybody has a chevy set of rims let me know! or a good place to find them! would like to see some pics of one with these wheels also!

Attached Files:

8. El KaMiNo KiD

El KaMiNo KiD

kool car..i almost bought a 60'...

9. chadman

chadman
    from illinois

the plan is to leave the paint the way it is, maybe do a metal flake roof and lower it 2" all around, swap trans, fix lower rears, get some chrome reverse, and cuize to the hamb drags

10. The Shocker

The Shocker

That 60 of yours is a spitting image of the one my dad had when i was a kid.Same colors ,exactly ,only it was a 348 and glide.As far as your trans swap goes ,its not too bad.I used to have a 60 tudor sedan Belair ,that had a 235 and glide.I switched it to a 350 /350 out of a van ,and that made it a bit more complicated.It had a long tail shaft ,so we shortened the front half of the driveshaft.Other than that it bolted right up to the crossmember with a PG mount on the T350 .As far as the shifter went ,i think i cobbled something up and welded it to the linkage and just used the stock indicator .A month after the upgrade ,i burnt up the T350 and switched again to a 4spd stick that time (and that was a bitch).At that point the shortened driveshaft front half was now too short for the 4 spd.I found that a front driveshaft section from a 69 Chevy 1/2 long bed was the perfect length and went right on the Ujoint.These X frame cars use the same carrier bearing as the 67-72 1/2 ton pickups ,believe it or not ...

11. The Hank

The Hank
    from CO

How bout more pic's of that V dub??

12. H.R.charlie

H.R.charlie

This what I did on my 58 Impala.Used a turbo 400 short shaft.Got a new crossmember from Dr409.com.Shortened the front half of the drive shaft.I forget how much.Everything bolts right up.Make sure your torque converter has enough play in it.I had to put a spacer plate between the block and trans.You are going to have to run new trans cooling lines.Get a Lokar trans dipstick kit.It costs about $100.00 but it is the best way to go.Borgenson has universal linkage kits with heim joints that make shifting easy.You should be able to get A shift indicator dr409 also.

13. davidh73750

davidh73750

A built up 200R over drive would be cool too. same dimensions I believe as the th350 short tail trans.

14. hotrod hmwrecker

hotrod hmwrecker
    from BFE of DFW

I did it this summer,but put a 350 w/ t350. Mounted up fine but I had to shorten the front drive shaft. Was pretty cheap tho.

Also had to trim the collumn shift stop on the fire wall w/ cut off wheel so it would get 1st gear. Took about 5 mins

Last edited: Jan 10, 2010
  15. chadman

chadman
    from illinois

heres the vw pic tou wanted! It was my mom's fiftith birthday present! she's a true hippie! I have alot of really cool cars, but this god damn van pics up more chicks than anything I have ever owned! sounds like this car will run a turbo 350, it sounds like it is an easy swap and I think I may have one laying around, a short shaft one! I just wish I could get a indiactor on the dash that matches the 350 trans!

Attached Files:

16. Hellfish

Hellfish

I dropped a th350 into mine. It was originally a Powerglide car, so all I had to do was drill a new hole in the crossmember, shorten the driveshaft, and change the shift linkage. pretty easy

17. D Lux

D Lux
    from Austin, TX

The 350/350 from the old 235/powerglide was an easy exchange in my 59. If I remember correctly, it was just the shortening of the driveshaft and that was cheap and quick at Thrash.
    And I believe you can get that Shift Indicator at Late Great Chevy .com.

18. Mildsteel

Mildsteel
    from VALE N.C.

The 200 4r is suppose to swap even up with the glide. Check it out.

19. The Hank

The Hank
    from CO

That Van's Hilarious !!

I have a 3 speed in my Impala now ,it came with a 2 speed.The indicator is no big deal, R is just a little closer to P is all 8)

20. davidh73750

davidh73750

wasnt that after you blew the 235 on the way back from Lonestar?? I remember talking to you there with your car

21. monsterflake

monsterflake

if i find you some wheels, will your mom go out with me?

22. monsterflake

monsterflake

this is my old old '60...

[​IMG]

23. chadman

chadman
    from illinois

ha! moms taken by my dad! sorry! your sixty is exactly what I am thinking for stance and wheels! I like that alot!

24. chadman

chadman
    from illinois

I will look into the 200r4!