Register now to get rid of these ads!

History NHRA Junior Stock

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by colesy, Aug 12, 2007.

1. Simon and Biebel

Simon and Biebel
    from N.J.

Yes Frank drove it for a while and even tried running it with a manual trans. Only a 3 speed was legal and it didn't work very well.

I can recall him trying it at our local track and when he shifted from 1st to 2nd it really killed it.....

2. jrstock55

jrstock55
    from Pa

This jrstock thread continually amazes me! Yes, I know a few things about the car because I grew up down the street from the guys who raced it in the late '60's to early '70's. But the real person you need to talk with is Frank Sulc. He posted on here a few times and I have his email address. Let me contact him and get you guys connected!

jrstock55

3. Simon and Biebel

Simon and Biebel
    from N.J.

Frank Sulc worked for Frank Iaconio for a while when Frank I. was still racing Pro Stock. I did too for a very short time. I live 10 minutes from Frank Iaconio's shop. Frank Sulc's son Mike races at my local track in brackets. Frank used to always be there with him but I have not seen him for some time. I have a dragster and race there myself sometimes. The last race I ran there.....Mike put me on the trailer......

4. youngmopar

youngmopar

you guys are all awesome! im really glad i found this thread i have a few pictures of the car when i tried to race it last year (valves hit the pistons) but the paint scheme is almost the same rick took the blue off of the sail panel but other than that it is the same if you are able to get ahold of any of the original races that would be awesome my regular email address is wheelzup440@aol.com i tried to post new pics up but they were too big

5. jrstock55

jrstock55
    from Pa

I'm not sure where I got this picture, but it could be taken at the Sanair race where Tom Callahan won after wrecking the purple Challenger.

jrstock55

Attached Files:

6. jrstock55

jrstock55
    from Pa

I would love to see those pics. Try resizing them by right clicking on them and choosing "resize pictures". You should then be able to save them as a smaller size and upload them to this site.

jrstock55

7. Eracer

Eracer
    from Wisconsin

Al Corda at Rock Falls Raceway in Wisconsin could probably help you he's been a long time Mopar guy.
    John Balow from MCR is also an old school Mopar guy.
    http://www.musclecarrestorations.com/staff.html

8. youngmopar

youngmopar

here is one when we were at rock falls last year the camera has the wrong date it on it so dont mind that. one thing i have noticed is the bottom of the hood was always black i still have yet to figure out why that is

Attached Files:

9. youngmopar

youngmopar

eracer, you wouldnt happen to be the actual Mr. charboneau would you?

10. colesy

colesy

The car still looks great!! Thanks so much for posting that photo. Since we're on a bit of a Mopar kick, here's a shot of Al Olster and an early Rick Johnson.

Attached Files:

11. youngmopar

youngmopar

jrstock is there anyway you could send me that picture of the 62 and the challenger in a bigger format? my regular email is wheelzup440@aol.com

12. youngmopar

youngmopar

p426 if your still reading do you know the issue of raceway news that the callahan and sulc 62 plymouth was in maybe ill get lucky and find one of them on ebay one of these days!

13. Simon and Biebel

Simon and Biebel
    from N.J.

"Albie".....as he was sometimes called, (Olster) had something of a hot temper as I recall.
    I think his Plymouth had the lightweight sheet metal on it. For sure the hood was because I watched him sail it threw the air for some reason after making a run one night.........

Shows how some of this rare stuff was not even considered valuable back in those days.......

I had a friend with a 1 year old '69 Z/28. I asked him if he had the cold air filter stuff it had come with. We were racing it in F/S in 1970 and I thought maybe it would help to have that on the car. It was a fully prepared car with a pro built engine and ran close to the record a few times. He said he threw the air filter pieces out cause it couldn't be worth anything on a racecar.......How much does that stuff cost today???

14. straightaxle65

straightaxle65

Sorry to steer away from the Mopars as I love 62s!

Was there ever a 4 door Good In-Tension 57 Chevy? A local guy who raced a 59 Chevy in the late 60s at Thunder Valley in South Dakota and Sioux City Dragway thought he remembered a 4 door version. I showed him the picture that was posted a few pages back of the Blue 2 door.

15. youngmopar

youngmopar

jrstock
    living down the street from the car you might be the right person to ask. someone mentioned to me that there is a magazine out there really early that has the 62 in it but it is completely blue and from when callahan and sulc just got the car. do you know if the car was raced by them when it was all blue? he didnt tell me the name of the magazine just that he remembers it when they first started racing the car.

16. quick573

quick573

I'm your man. Frank Sulc. The car was never all blue. When we built it we painted it white with the hood and deck lid blue. There were blue stripes on the roof as that seemed the "east coast stocker" thing to do. BTW The bottom of the hood was white when it departed jersey. Tom and I looked for a long time to find a Sport Fury, serial number starting with 34, as that was the only Plymouth that would fit the class at 9.54 lbs/hp. There was a Dodge two door post car that also fit and was a couple of pounds lighter but it was REALLY ugly. The 62 passed me while driving one day and I saw a for sale sign on it. I chased the guy down and we made a deal. I believe we paid $1200 for it. It had a 361 305hp engine and ran pretty good. We took the entire car apart and used up 2000 lbs of blasting grit on it. Took some work but the car was cleaner than brand new. Ask Rinaldi, he remembers that 90 degree day with me in a full blaster suit. This all took place from March till July of 1967. There are a lot more stories but I have to go out now. I'll be back. PM me if you have some questions. I have a picture of the car in the original white paint scheme. I'll scan it and post. Frank

17. P426

P426
    BANNED
    from New Jersey

Hello! If I still had my issues, I'd tell you. Unfortunately, I no longer have them. I sold my collection to Mike McCandless who proceeded to give them to his dad, Herb McCandless, as a present; so needless to say, they found a good home. :)

As far as finding back issues of Raceway News from the 1970s, especially the pre-1976, magazine-type issues, that will not be easy because they're more rare than original Hemi parts! :) I searched the swap meets as well as other sources for twenty years or so and this is all that I was able to find:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

All the best,

Pete

Last edited: Feb 11, 2010
  18. P426

P426
    BANNED
    from New Jersey

A 396 with a two-barrel carb? I didn't know Chevrolet produced one! What was the hp number, by the way?

Pete

19. P426

P426
    BANNED
    from New Jersey

That along with the original smog equipment, exhaust manifolds, etc. What a pity.

If I were old enough back then to buy a new supercar those 'unnecessary' factory parts would've been stored in my garage. Heck, the parts were still relatively brand new and I paid for 'em (or was still making payments on the car)! I'm sure there were guys that did but I'd have to guess more did like your friend with the Z/28.

Pete

Last edited: Feb 11, 2010
  20. stretch 1320

stretch 1320

Really cool thread!

21. youngmopar

youngmopar

quick573- frank it is awesome to hear from you! i would love to here some more stories about the cars begining any fun stories about it. i wish it was more stock than it is to put it back to its glory days but it was tubbed and caged when raced by rick johnson. it would be awesome to see some old pictures from your stash on the car. im curious on page 24 of the thread #471 would that happen to be the back end of the car in the right side of the picture, also on page 64 #1220 i thought the hood was black under neath from that picture. i wish i could remember what it said in the glovebox there was something from back when you owned it written in there. i had always wondered why the floor was cut up until about a year ago i tracked down a magazine that said something about a 3 speed run in the car

simon and biebel- yes that car was an original aluminum front car although i beleive when my dada aquired it it had steel front clip, which might be part of the aluminum one flying in the air!! it is being restored with the aluminum as far as i know.

22. 396/ 265 HP. 1969 full size only (along with the 427/335 hp)

23. WagonKiller

WagonKiller
    BANNED

they did 455 olds in a 2 bbl also

:cool:

24. Simon and Biebel

Simon and Biebel
    from N.J.

The same guy bought a brand new Yenko Deuce in 1970. It was green and had a 350 LT-1 engine with a 4 speed. He had headers, slapper bars and some very steep rearend gears installed. Either 5.38 or 5.13's. We drove it to Englishtown (50miles) on a set of big Pro trac tires and put slicks on at the track. It went 12.6's-12.7's . The engine spun a rod and blew up with about 5-6 thousand street miles on it. I installed a 302 race motor from the '69 Z and drove it on the street for a while. He sold it for around $3000......

He also had a Boss 302 Mustang a short time later......The guy had a fortune in cars in just a few years.

The '69 Z/28 was my favorite......Black/white stripes, black and white houndstooth deluxe interior......I drove it a few times at the track and it was a hell of a lot different than my 350/295 hydraulic cammed ChevyII stocker. That one could barely go to 6000 without floating the valves with the cams we used. The Zee would rev past 8000 if you let it......

It ran F/S and went some 12.1's in 1970 at York......I towed it on a trailer behind my ramp truck with our Chevy II on the truck. I broke it more than once at the track......trans....

25. 67 W-30

67 W-30
    from N.E. Ohio

Hey Mark -
    How'd those things work as "leakers"?? Anybody ever make one of those things competitive - either the 396 or the 427? I can just envision listen to one of those things "leakin" and spitten and poppin" -- Ahhh-- brings back the memories - eh? LOL

26. cb3961

cb3961
    from Ohio

I'd LOVE to hear the old tech guys stories (you don't have to name names...LOL)...vacuum lines you pull off under the dash...loose carburetor hold-down bolts..."damaged" gaskets...SNEAKY PETE in the ashtray...lol...don't be shy now...CB

27. cb3961

cb3961
    from Ohio

here's a "popper" from the Ft Wayne IN area for ya Tweed...Steve Lambert's SS/W '62 Chebbie 283/2bbl. ...ran John Lingenfelter engines...sorry to stray from the Jr Stock theme using these early 70's SS pics here...CB

Attached Files:

Stock Racer likes this.
  28. cb3961

cb3961
    from Ohio

29. mtkawboy

mtkawboy

Bob Dwyers Crockagator Studebaker used spring loaded studs to hold the carb on, reduced airiarion of fuel according to Bob. What they also did when the linkage was wide open is lift the front of the carb up slightly for leakage. One of Dwyers 273 Mopar engines set the Orange Bowl Regatta closed course record in a 280 hydro with the same setup in the early 80's. He said the boat guys werent near as sharp as the car guys. A friend of mines mom had one of those 2 barrel 396s in a 4 door 69 Impala, only one Ive ever seen, didnt even know they made it.

30. cb3961

cb3961
    from Ohio

here's another obscure shot of the '57 Delivery at Rockingham '73, when Joe Scott had it, left front fender and brown trim can be seen. Former N/S record holder Randy Smith's new SS/I Camaro in foreground...

tossing in a pic of 2 ladies that walked by, and 2 '57 wagons and a Warren Chevelle jumped in...lol...CB

Attached Files: