Register now to get rid of these ads!

History NHRA Junior Stock

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by colesy, Aug 12, 2007.

1. Bob Rice

Bob Rice

Got some new pics from Les Welch today.

Attached Files:

2. Hoosier Hurricane

Hoosier Hurricane

My wife's parents bought a used '69 Chevvy 4 door, had the 396 two barrel engine. Former small town cop car.

John

3. Islandworker

Islandworker
    from Illinois

Somebody may have already posted the restored Gitttleman car and I know, I know, the other wagon isn't a junior stocker but check out all of the water coming out of the quarter panels.

Attached Files:

4. Chuck Norton

Chuck Norton
    from Division 7

I suspect that the stream of water was his solution to a problem that we had to cope with in the early days. Some tracks and even some entire divisions of NHRA refused to provide a "water box" for burnouts. In a light car with plenty of power, burnouts were no problem but it could be a challenge to get the tires hot in a Junior Stocker. I helped Val Hedworth install windshield washer bottles from a Volkswagon in the side panels of his '55 wagon so that he could moisten the track in front of his slicks. The car in the picture probably dripped water, backed into the puddle, and set the line-loc.

5. cb3961

cb3961
    from Ohio

cool tale there Chuck...the wagon with the water is Donnie Anderson from Phoenix, pretty sure...an AHRA "hitter" from the 70's and 80's...CB

6. novadude

novadude

7. Simon and Biebel

Simon and Biebel
    from N.J.

We ran Caslers on our sedan delivery and M&H's on our Chevy II. The Caslers never wore out.

My buddy with his E or F/MP car also ran M&H's and he was always fretting about which tire to run A-140's or B-140's. I think the sidewalls were what was different.

We tried the sticky Firestone "automatic" tires in desperation at the first SummerNationals at York.......made too many changes at one time and went from spinning bad to a bog.......I changed the trans from a 2.5 first to a 2.20 at the same time as the tire change.......Last ditch effort to get in and went a lot quicker but not quick enough....

Asphalt sucked in the hot summer sun on 7" tires

At the same track earlier in the spring I drove the car once and it hooked great....In July it was terrible.....

7" tires and a car with decent power made racing no fun sometimes.....

8. Bob Bender

Bob Bender

My car came that way and i wish i still had it !! 265 HP There was a local guy with one in a 4-door that was very fast in the day here in Div. 1.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 12, 2010
  9. novadude

novadude

We have one of those 265hp engines in my Dad's Chevelle. Came out of a small town cop car 4 dr Bel Air or Biscayne. We scrapped the manifold, and sold the carb. I still have the air cleaner taking up shelf space. I need to find it a good home one of these days, cause I am tired of looking at it! :)

10. 67 W-30

67 W-30
    from N.E. Ohio

Great pic of the Late Bill Abraham. Thanks for his memory!! RIP (Lost his life in a towing accident). A true friend of Drag Racing and a feisty competitor too! The Abraham & Vanke cars were always tough!!

11. cb3961

cb3961
    from Ohio

I think that's Dave Duell's Drag N Wagon in the pic of that old Ad, yes/no ???...CB

12. cb3961

cb3961
    from Ohio

I've got a pic around here somewhere dated january 1970 I took of Jim Wheelers new Remlinger F/S 1970 F-85, just out of the paint shop, with brand new Firestone 7" on it...1st set I ever saw...

seems I recall something that Duell was one of the cars they used for testing the then new tires...

THANKS A MILLION for takin the time to post these gems Colesy !!!

13. TMcCrea

TMcCrea
    from Maryland

This reminded me of Tony Pizzi and Brad Waktins ( Pizzi prepped 69 Z-28) at Suffolk in 1970. Both cars usually ran 30# flywheels but changed to #50 wheels for the concrete track. It was strange to hear those 302's turning 7,500 and bog big time on the launch.

14. 67 W-30

67 W-30
    from N.E. Ohio

CB - that would make sense that they would have used Duell's car as a test bed-- Vanke built Duell's engines for the car. PLEASE find that pic of Wheeler's 70 F-85. I am of the belief right now that it was Jim Kinney's car, not Wheeler's?? At very least, I'm sure it is the car Kinney ended up with. I never knew Wheeler to run that car - but I could be wrong?? (again). Kinney was a salesman at Remlingers, and Wheeler was Remlinger's Service Mgr.
    Get em posted!!! LOL

15. Islandworker

Islandworker
    from Illinois

:cool:Another picture of the "The Villian" and a picture of Carmen Rotunda (from his Pro Stock days). From Bill Rolik's web site, I think. Think there might be a pair of those pants on E-Bay? Thanks for the info on the "water wagon" Chuck.

Attached Files:

• 50.jpg
      50.jpg
      File size:
      44.8 KB
      Views:
    • 11.jpg
      11.jpg
      File size:
      58.5 KB
      Views:
  16. Bob Bender

Bob Bender

Sure wish I had that set up again. The car will run Q/sa with a big block. I run O/sa with a 355 now.

17. Jim Pizzi

Jim Pizzi

Great job Colesy! If Tony was still alive today he would be loving this thread!

18. Simon and Biebel

Simon and Biebel
    from N.J.

Jackee Allen is sitting up in the lawn chair on the trailer........

19. LAWAUTO

LAWAUTO

Rich,
    Without hurting your feelings, I just want to correct you on Al's SS/DA Camaro. Walt and myself prepared and maintained the entire car (chassis suspension, rear, etc.)with the assistance of the "Grupp" doing the engine in it, not T/K. Check the lettering on the rear quarter panel.
    We first started dealing with Al when he brough his Plymouth "One Step Beyond" to remove the lettering.
    Then went to PA with him to pick up the brand new 69 Camaro at Armond R. Smith, it was 396ci fresh-air car.
    You must be thinking of later when he sold it,I believe that Ralph started to do the engine work.
    Just to confirm that Frankie did drive the Villian for awhile, I raced him at Island several times and actually beat him twice with my 57 Vette.
    I also built the Tri-Y headers that were on the Villian when Tommy and Frank won Stock Eliminator at the Gators. Jenkin's ask them if they knew someone that could make them to the Specs he wanted.
    Lou - LAW

Last edited: Feb 14, 2010
  20. Simon and Biebel

Simon and Biebel
    from N.J.

Hello Lou......I didn't recall that you and Walt were involved in Al's car but hey it's been 40 years. I was just "shooting from the hip" so to speak on my memory of Al's cars. I did not know him well or many details about his cars or his racing career. We hit the diner after the races a few times with him, Frankie and some others and it was usually pretty funny at that table.

I can tell you that on at least one occasion Al asked us to speak to Ralph as he wanted a T/K built engine for the Camaro. I thought he eventually did get hooked up with T/K and ran very fast after that. I recall him mentioning Jenkins name and the Jenkins decal was on the Plymouth I think. I never said anything about who built either car as I did not know or recall any of that.

I have seen Walt and Anne now and then over the last few years while I was racing and usually at Maple Grove or E-Town....

The very last run in the Pie Wagon was when I was driving and raced Walt driving your '57SD at Island.......I recall getting a big jump but Walt passed me for the win.......He ran about a tenth quicker and I soon discovered we had a cracked block and the car sat untill we sold it..

This site is pretty cool and it is great talking to you. No hurt feelings here.....Rich

21. henry's57bbwagon

henry's57bbwagon

I worked in a garage in the late 60's and a fellow had a 396/ 2BBL in a 67/8? Canadian Pontiac Parisienne.

22. 56 Pontiac I/SA

56 Pontiac I/SA
    from Maryland

Jim ... this (image below ... getting a tire 'trim') was my only encounter with your dad (E-Town Spring 71) 'don't you just luv his oh-so-cool striped T-shirt'!

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

23. cb3961

cb3961
    from Ohio

here's what I came up with so far...it was a 350 4 speed ram-air F-85 coupe...sorry 'bout the poor quality, best I can do without a scanner...

also just because you'll likely not see this pic anywhere else...I'm including a shot of Bobby Warren getting ready to do some front-end damage repair work...went into reverse on a bye run during class eliminations and tagged the guard rail...i think it was NEXT year neutral lock-outs were mandatory on all automatic shifters...

Attached Files:

24. cb3961

cb3961
    from Ohio

I'm thinking the FIRESTONE 7" Jr Stock tires came out earlier than I thought...here's a pic of Roy Dean's D/S HUSLER Super Duty with 7" 'stones, taken by a friend of mine when we were in 8th or 9th grade..pic is likely from '68/69...CB

Attached Files:

25. 698531

from germany

Newbie here! In reply to the thread started on page 247 about Ron Garey
    I beleive I have his 69 F85 W31 from Chesrown Olds but cannot find any
    one to discuss it with. About 6 years ago I got in touch with Ron's son on
    Real Olds Power and he said his dad did not have any info other than it was sold as a used car. Was any one there before it was painted to tell me what color it was and if it was a bench seat or anything about the suspension set ups they ran. If I knew where it was sold maybe I could do a title search because Chesrown does not have any records as I contacted them also years ago. P.S my teacher from college knew Ron as a matter of fact he lived right up the street and also used to race at the same track. THANKS FOR ANY INFO.:confused:

26. 56 Pontiac I/SA

56 Pontiac I/SA
    from Maryland

27. 698531

from germany

Thanks a bunch. Nice Pontiac I used to have a 57 Olds Super 88 2 door
    with a 77 frame and 455. The person I bought the W31 from also researched it back to that area on a title search and if I knew the
    original color that too would narrow it down since they only made 212
    that year. I have been gone in the military for quite a while but will be putting the motor back in when I get home in June and before it is painted
    I want to find out if it is or is not the car. This car if it is the real car needs to be painted back to the Ron Garey scheme correctly.

28. TMcCrea

TMcCrea
    from Maryland

The Pizzi prepped B/S '69 Camaro had previously been run as a Z-28 in F/S. Tony also did the engine for the Jannetti and DeStanfano B/S '69 Camaro which held the record in 1970 at 11.58, only a tenth quicker than Tony's
    Z-28. Jerry Wood ( Parts Manager at Penske Chevrolet) did the driving.

Attached Files:

29. DW31S

DW31S
    from Sparks,MD

Hi guys and gals, Thanks for the Remlinger pics---you all know I am partial to dealer-sponsored '69 W31's. And to the newbie with the possible Ron Garey car----I will do some digging around and test my memory a liitle. I know one of their cars was wrecked pretty bad and ended up getting re-bodied; that might habe been their '68--I'm pretty sure it was a post, f85 in white. I'll let you know what I can come up with. Until next time.....Dave. P.S. They are calling for MORE SNOW IN BALTIMORE !!! We are already 12 inches more than any year in history--Hurry up Spring!!!!!

30. Simon and Biebel

Simon and Biebel
    from N.J.

This is exactly what we needed to be doing....changing flywheel weights for different traction conditions. We needed an aluminum lightweight wheel for a poor starting line. We ran a std weight steel wheel....maybe 30lbs and with the gearing we ran it was too much on a poor starting line...