Register now to get rid of these ads!

Vintage shots from days gone by!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Dog427435, Dec 18, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. swi66

swi66

Here's a way to sell new cars.
    [​IMG]

2. unkledaddy

unkledaddy

I remember the 'Helm' placard that you displayed in the window to indicate you needed a delivery

Someone told me years ago that Helms went 'belly-up' because too many women were getting bred at the door.

3. Happy Valentines Day
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

ferris209 and Pauljrestomod97 like this.
  4. Mazooma1

Mazooma1

another small amusement park in Southern California was "Streamland".
    It was in Pico Rivera on Rosemead Blvd. just north of Whittier Blvd. and south of Legg Lake...all homes now

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

thats Rosemead Blvd. in the background

[​IMG]

barobert likes this.
  5. mrbthebarber

mrbthebarber

YESSSS!!!!! I constantly trawl thru great vintage pics like these looking for cars like mine ( 58 Buick Limited or 58 Lincoln Convertable ) but never do.................. occasionally spot a 58 Buick special or a 58 Lincoln Premiere but here AT LAST a 58 Buick Limited Coupe just like mine!!!! What a rare sight!! Thank you for posting.

6. This was "Shady Acres Amusement Park" in Canby, Oregon.
    Now it's "Pat's Acres" http://www.patsacres.com/ a nice go cart complex.
    Imagine trying to get insurance for "Shady Acres" today.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. Hermosa Beach, CA... My hometown and Playground. Notice the "Pier" ended at the water line when it "fell into the ocean". Off to the left is the Hermosa Biltmore Hotel, to the right of the pier at the start is The Hermosa Aquarium (Pre-Marineland).

[​IMG]

8. Hermosa Beach, CA

[​IMG]

9. roddinron

roddinron

Sounds like the women were going "belly up" as well.:D

10. Mazooma1

Mazooma1

Anyone remember the kennel where you dropped your dog off while you and the family went to Disneyland?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

11. Mazooma1

Mazooma1

how about some old Knott's Berry farm...

[​IMG]

12. Mazooma1

Mazooma1

or Pacific Ocean Park...1958-1967 :(

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

13. Mazooma1

Mazooma1

more Knotts Berry Farm

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

14. hotrd32

hotrd32
    from WA

WOW.... POP...... forgot all about that!.....oh!..... memory lane...what a trip!

15. lewislynn

lewislynn

POP
    Pacific Ocean Park AKA Pay One Price

16. Mazooma1

Mazooma1

Knotts Berry Farm, Henry's Livery

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

17. lewislynn

lewislynn

The Monsanto house of the future.

Relatively speaking, I used to live a few blocks from Disneyland (Brookhurst and Ball) We could see the fireworks from our house.

We would sometimes go when all we had was enough money for admission to the park. That was in the days when you had to buy ticket books for the rides. I wonder how many people are puzzled when they hear that something was akin to an "E" ticket.

They used to give out free copies of our constitution in the City Hall on Main Street. Once, Walt Disney passed by me as I was walking
    into the City Hall. They had a parade that day with him and Prime Minister Nehru of India ...Anyone else remember the Nehru jacket?

18. I'll see your POP and raise you one Fairyland Park! It was open from the '20s to the late '70s; my mom went there as a kid and my folks took us there in the '60s (although by that time it was in a very rough part of town so we didn't go very often). I understand that the Wildcat roller coaster is still in operation somewhere in Oklahoma.

19. Came across these shots of Fairyland Park in KC. Seems that Whippet-Knight had an annual picnic at the Park. This sign reads "Someone will drive these 3 Whippets Home. Annual Whippet-Knight Day Monday, Labor Day, Sept 3rd."

20. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

I want one of these to put around the neighborhood,the big amusement park south of me done away with their old car rides and wondered what ever happened to them as I sure could use one.

21. Mazooma1

Mazooma1

Tom Sawyer's Island at Disneyland..the very best place to play "hide and seek" in the world

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

22. Mazooma1

Mazooma1

23. It's a Small World was an "E" Ticket?? What a RIP!!

24. We still take the family to Knott's for the Chicken Dinner Restaurant. Best Fried Chicken around and the price for the whole dinner including the Rubarb apetizer and Blackberry Pie for dessert is very reasonable. Dang, my mouth is watering right now...

25. wrayeugene49

wrayeugene49
    from eugene,or

I grew up in Pittsburgh, Pa....We had Belgian block streets....real fun in winter...At least Belgium paid their war debt.....!

26. wrayeugene49

wrayeugene49
    from eugene,or

This is where I meant to post my reply about tne Belgian Block streets...

27. Jimv

Jimv

I remember it well! went about 5 times in the short time it was open. s
    I saw Jackie Wilson there twice.Its now CO-OP city.
    It had a boat ride thru the "great lakes" SF earthquake ride, tornado ride!
    It was shaped like the USA & it had rides in each area that would be there.
    When it finally closed down they would have "Un-sanctioned" drag races in the parking lot.I saw all kinds of wild cars run there!!
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Freedomland_U.S.A.
    JimV

28. Neglected Legacies

Neglected Legacies
    from Nor Cal

"I've always felt a wonder at old photographs that is not easy to explain. Maybe I don't need to explain; maybe you'll recognize what I mean. i mean the sense of wonder, staring at the strange clothes and vanished backgrounds, at knowing that what you're seeing was once real. That light really did reflect into a lens from those lost faces and objects. That these people were really there once, smiling into a camera. You could have walked into the scene then, touched those people, and spoken to them. You could actually have gone into that strange outmoded old building and seen what now you never can -- what was just inside the door."

...from Jack Finney's book "Time and Again"

29. 31fordV860

31fordV860

At Knott's ..worked at the Chicken Dinner Rest, in the early 70's Walter and Cordelia were still alive and getting around ..

I always loved the bandits holding up the train and their six shooters mowing down the sherriff's with blanks... not very "PC" NOW...

30. 39cent

39cent
    from socal

I see Grand avenue there on the bottom, now Beach blvd. I used to go to Grand ave school, I went there in 49,it was the old school which was being torn down. it went from kindergarten thru jr hi. Buena Park wasnt a city yet, and I-5 hadnt been built. I used to go to the drug store near 9th st. and get a float on Saturdays. It had an oldtime soda fountain,and I would read the comic books, and my first Hot Rod mag there. Also got first hot rod ride in a 34 cpe. from some JD rodders down my street, which ruined me for life. Was a quiet little community with vol fire station back when there were orange groves in Orange county.hardly recognize the area now.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.