Register now to get rid of these ads!

Going to UN-r*t the Rod,27 chrysler rebuild

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by rottenleonard, Feb 13, 2010.

1. So-cal Tex

So-cal Tex

Here are a few suggestions:

Add front frame horms like Model A style,change the frame to have a mild Z in front and rear, get the stance so the tire fills the rear wheel well and little rake, 2 inches higher in the rear will still look like shit, it needs like 5-6 inches more height the rear. Steel roof should not be that hard to do, Ditch the IH truck grill and find something MOPAR from the same era,shorten the column, burn/destroy that awful 1980's Buick century breather, a nice set of chrome stacks or scoops would look great sitting below the roofline.

Stance and proportions are everything to hotrod.

You have come this far, make it right and you will thank yourself latter.

2. Mat Thrasher

Mat Thrasher

I like it, I always like seeing something non ford. It won't take much to make a very cool hotrod. As for the ride height if you been driving it around for 5 years with no problem and you like it why change it. Just my .02

3. mrdodge

mrdodge

Big improvement already. Like the sound of your plans. :)

4. themachine

themachine

its coming along nicely i love the early early early chryslers lol

5. Left Turn

Left Turn
    Member Emeritus
    from Omaha, NE

I keep coming back to this, and I actually like that IH grille.. With some work you should have a pretty bad ass hot rod when it's all said and done...

Any ideas on paint color? Maybe flat black? red wheels? :D

6. slicknapier

slicknapier
    from Tucson, AZ

Looks like a good start...Keep us updated, nice to see a mopar hotrod...

7. rottenleonard

rottenleonard

I actually want to try to match the paint that is on it towards the top of the rh quarter panel, it almost looks like a really clean grean chalk board color:D I even have been concidering matching the pinstriping that was on it too it's kind of an amber color. I'll pull the engine and paint it back to alpine green if i go with that color. Looking for a set of narrow 15" chrome reverse wheels to go on the front and 7" wide chrome reverse wheels for the rear.

I think I want to paint the grill shell gloss black, but I'm looking for a tasty chrysler emblem to go in place of the IH emblem on the grill.

Everything is just thoughts at this point we will see where I end up.

8. rottenleonard

rottenleonard

Btw I'm Going to San Diego Ca, thursday, while the body is being blasted, Any cool car shit going on there this weekend?
    Robert

9. Stone

Stone

Nice work. I can't wait to see more updates.

10. Winterbear

Winterbear

Roberts great plans. I have seen your car a couple times and never gave it the ratrod , more of unfinished hot rod title glad to see you are wrapping it up.
    Chris

11. Pingar

Pingar

Nice work.. In for updates. I like your engine choice.

12. We slam the RR's hard on here, so it is only appropriate to offer praise for un-doing one. Good luck on your project. I hope you start a trend.

13. rottenleonard

rottenleonard

Well the body has been at the custom coats to get blasted since monday before last, I stopped by and they haven't touched it due to the rain, they want to wait for a dry day so I can get it home without rust, The owner is a cool guy, he has a street rod that is a real show stopper(they do powder coating also) so this weekend I'm going to pull the grill shell, and redo the section properly and maby get the motor out and stripped for a fresh coat of alpine green, A while back I aquired a set of badly bent model A rails I think once I get the frame stripped I'll Look at grafting on the model a frame horns, The squared off horns I fabricated back then never looked quite right.

14. rottenleonard

rottenleonard

15. rottenleonard

rottenleonard

Not a huge amount of work today, I pulled the grill, and milled out some dolly's to straighten the stainless, worked pretty well for a first atempt.
    [​IMG]

16. rottenleonard

rottenleonard

17. rottenleonard

rottenleonard

Well some progress has been made,
    I pulled the engine and stripped it and turned it alpine green(stock color for the nailhead) I love that color and was going to do it the first time but talked myself out of it.
    [​IMG]

the other side is the same color too:D
    [​IMG]

18. rottenleonard

rottenleonard

Then I decided to tackle the frame horns, they have always looked funny to me, I had an idea once to put a door in the floor board where the frame tube meets it that i could open as a vent, but so much for that.
    [​IMG]

All marked out
    [​IMG]

and cut off and dressed up a little
    [​IMG]

Then I took some scrap 2" exaust tubing and filled in the blank, welded it up and dressed it out with rolocks.
    I think that looks beter!
    [​IMG]

19. Lookin' good man. The engine looks great.

Nice work on the grille, too.

20. rottenleonard

rottenleonard

Next it was time to redo the welds on the upper shock mounts, I had changed shocks on a noon hour, and they were different lengths as the old ones so I crudly cut them down and rewelded them but didn't have good access or the time to get it so I ended up with a lot of crappy weld(if a littles good a lot is beter:rolleyes:)
    [​IMG]

I think I've grown out of the wiskey bottle cooland jug so thats getting nixed as well

The other side wasn't much beter
    [​IMG]

Cut off cleaned and dresses ready to go back on
    [​IMG]

Ahhhh more gooder:)

[​IMG]

and her sister is pretty good lookin too:p

[​IMG]

21. rottenleonard

rottenleonard

Next was a little augmentation of the grill

After years of being ridden hard she was showing her age
    [​IMG]

And had scars from previous botched surgerys
    [​IMG]

a little excess baggage in her rear(that heppens with age)
    [​IMG]

we stared by sucking out the offending tissue and marking her for the augmentation
    [​IMG]

Then with an insision under the left breast
    [​IMG]

We are then able to utilize a graff from the neather reagon to replace the aging skin.
    [​IMG]

and the a nurse finished the suetures

[​IMG]

Then the incisions were dresses and the patient was sent to the Icu(blasters) for recovery, All in al it went great and she will enjoy her new fuller more youthfull apearance:D
    [​IMG]

22. rottenleonard

rottenleonard

Next up was just a little work on the headlights(wasn't that what we just did:eek:)
    just a few bullet holes wich is a must for any real R.R.:D
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

I dollied down the holes and knocked out some dents and decided to stop and finish them after they geT blasted

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Thats all for today, The body is suppost to be done tomorro, so I can start those repairs, I also have the hardware and DOM tubing on order to convert the ladder bars to a four link.

Thanks for the encouragement it really helps to keep a guy motivated, thats for sure:cool:

23. soberTOOLman

soberTOOLman

Great job so far! keep up the good work and you will have one SWEET ride in no time!

24. 41 Dave

41 Dave

Leonard, All the changes you are doing are good improvements for the car. Looking forward to more updates as you post them.

25. captainjunk#2

captainjunk#2

good work on the rejuvination the engine looks great keep up the good work

26. Andy_H

Andy_H

Looks good Rob! You going to have it finished for our show in Palouse this year?

Andy

27. BEAR

BEAR

That thing is bad

28. shopwizard

shopwizard

Rob,
    First I have to say that I never saw your build as a rat. The design and execution was done well from the start and your work has only gotten better. Proof is in the other very nice rigs that you've put together.
    The eveloution is looking great! The repair of the stainless on the grill is first rate. I am excited to see the progress.
    I second what Andy said. I sure hope to see it at our annual spring BBQ.

29. rottenleonard

rottenleonard

Hey Mark,
    Gave up and joined the hamb too huh.. right on!
    I think It will be done by the BBq, that's the push, need something new to show off this year.
    Hows the club doing on their winter prodjects?
    Robert