Register now to get rid of these ads!

Anyone using a 95-01 Explorer 8.8" rear?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by burger, Feb 14, 2006.

1. t-rod

t-rod

I just got my housing back after having the long side narrowed for a short side axle. I had measured the difference between the two axles and asked the guy to narrow the housing by that much. Measuring that way made the long side about 3/16" longer than the short side. When I put it together for a test fit, it didn't quite fit. The brake drum bottomed out on the backing plate. I don't know if I mismeasured or he did, but the housing needs to be a little narrower. Lesson learned, anyone else doing this, make the long side tube the same width as the short side.

2. nailhead terry

nailhead terry

got one in my old truck make sure no one cuts your hoses or brake cables there not cheap great rear use overdrive trans if you can mine is a 373 gear it buzzes a little hard down the road

3. uglydog56

uglydog56

I have one I am in the process of putting under my 56 210 4dr. The internet lists width 59 1/2 to 59 3/4. To my eye they are 59 1/2. Stock 55-57 is 59 3/4. I got 3.73 posi rear out of a 95 4x4 complete with ebrake cables, swaybar, brakes, hoses, lines, everything for 100. I have to turn the rotors and put new pads on it, but realistically could get away with not for awhile. The weak spot in these are the carriers, about 500hp limit. The axles are rated to 6500lbs, about the same as a moser for this spline. The only thing I have to do is move the spring perches and fab up something for ebrake.

These are a great cheap rear axle, but only if they are complete, and only if you don't have to change gear ratios or add posi. If you have to change gears, add posi, or replace missing brake parts, they get expensive in a hurry. At that point, you might as well get a 9" bolt in.

4. big duece

big duece
    from kansas

I have a set of brakes of 97 explorer 8.8 for sale in the classifieds. They will bolt up the ford 9 inch with torino style flange. Same brake offset. They are blasted, painted and new emergency brake shoes and hardware, no rotors.

5. HOT40ROD

HOT40ROD
    from Easton, Pa

Your right my 91 ranger has a 8.8 under it. it a 3.73 trac lock from the factory. Its a drum brake rear and has 14 inch rims on it. The truck is a 4.0, 5 speed.

some of the 4 cyl. and 3.0 have 7.5 rears.

6. HOT40ROD

HOT40ROD
    from Easton, Pa

Last edited: May 29, 2009
  7. RatPin

RatPin

Can someone tell me if the center housing on the explorer 8.8 is cast. I need a rear end I can locate my panhard on, but will not weld to cast. If the explorer is steel like the ford 9" then I'm going to get one.

Thanks!

8. wheelbilly

wheelbilly

The diff housing is cast. Had one in my Jeep based rock crawler buggy. 31 spline, tough as nails, then I put the Superior Super 88 c-clip eliminator kit with alloy 9" shafts in it. What a great axle...thought about getting one for my rod project since I was familiar with them, but ended up with an 8" in a package deal.

9. t-rod

t-rod

Check the pic in post #51. My panhard bar mounting bracket was inspired by that one. By "inspired" I mean I totally ripped it off. Thanks RustyF100!

10. ol'chevy

ol'chevy

I ran one from a 90 town car with a pegleg 3.27. Now I run a 95 tbird IRS, 8.8. The town car was about 61", the tbird is around 58" I think. You have to use at least 15" rims with disc brakes.
    To decode an 8.8, look at the metl tag on the gear cover. Ignore the top numbers. On the second line, the first st of #s is the ratio and limited slip or not. Mine says 3 L 08.....a 3.08 limited slip. If no L between #s, it is open. The center 3s will be 8.8, the last 3s don't matter.

I know they come in 3.08, 3.27, 3.73.

A friend runs one in a rambler wagon with a blower, he abuses the shit out of it and hasn't broken it yet.

The t bird hubs are actually metric, at least in the 95. Mustang hubs are supposed to be direct replacement, but I just redrilled mine.

11. jetnow1

jetnow1
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from CT
    1. A-D Truckers

The Mazda suv is a rebadged explorer- just another source for these
    rears... Jim

12. RatPin

RatPin

Do you have any pictures of your? From the front how it bolts up. Would you want to make one for a fellow enthusiast...? I'm pulling my hair out trying to locate a spot to mount my panhard on my big dana 44 with airbags.

13. What yr? I'm looking for a centered 60" 8.8 for my 49 coronet. I have a 8.8 out a 91 explorer but it's not centered
    Sent from my SM-N960U using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

14. MeanGene427

MeanGene427
    from Napa

When I was looking for an Exploder for a daily for the ex-gf, I happened onto a 97 with the 5.o, GT40 heads, AOD, all that. Also was black, leather interior, nice stereo, new tires, and the 4 whl discs. So I figured cool, when something happens to it, mine the driveline from it and cart the rest away. Six years later, still chugging along. That rearend would be great in my 56 Bird- or 69 Mach1- or...

15. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

The '86 thru '98 Mustang 8.8 axle housings are the same length, but axle shafts are different '86/'93 and '94/'98. The '86/'93 are four lug hubs and have 9" drum brakes and are 59.5" wide wheel mount surfaces side to side. The '94/'98 axles shafts are 5 lug hubs, have disc brakes and are 61.5" wide,
    WMS to WMS.

I have one of each housing and for my application I am using the shorter '86/'93 axle shafts with 5 lug hubs.....which are a stock late '80s up Ranger driver side axle shaft. Rangers came with both 7.5" and 8.8" axles and use the same axle shafts, axle tubes, bearings and brakes, differing only in the differential housing and carrier. Both 7.5" and 8.8" can be found with either 9" or 10" brakes, depending on their application.

So, you can acquire a '86/'93 Mustang 8.8 swap the axle shafts and drums and have a centered diff within 1/2" of your desired width. I bought new Ranger axle shafts, bearings and seals from Rock Auto at a decent price. Depending on the mileage on any 8.8" axle assembly, it could need new axle shafts anyway because the axle shaft itself is the inner race of the bearing, unlike 8" & 9" which have self contained bearings and races.

By the way, the Mustang 8.8" is the lightest of the family. Ranger, Explorer and F-150 all have heavier housings, both the carrier housing and axle tubes. However, unless you are putting this behind a high performance engine, the Explorer and F-150 may be overkill and add unwanted unsprung weight.

Hope this helps.
    Ray

Last edited: May 20, 2020
    Shadow Creek likes this.
  16. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I have an 8.8 in my 56 Ford Victoria. I had the shop building it install F.150 11” drum brakes. Making the EBrake hole just a tad larger and the stock e-brake fit perfectly. The shop also cut off all the “extra” metal off the center section and set the leaf spring purchase for my Ford. I also wanted the 2.74 gear which he supplied. ABE488D8-3EC7-4F86-9158-224BA3F430F5.jpeg

Shadow Creek, mgtstumpy and Hnstray like this.
  17. mopar362000

mopar362000

Thomas Forester none of the explorer rears are centered.You can look on the tri five websites on how to get explorer within 3/4 of an inch of centered.You go to the short side tube cut it 4 inches from end go to long tube cut it 7 inches from end swap ends and axles sides weld them on keeping them straight.Jimmie King