Register now to get rid of these ads!

Trailor Tongue Weight

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by GARY T., May 22, 2010.

1. GARY T.

GARY T.
    from S.W. Pa

I have an open 4 wheel trailor that I occasionally use to haul my T on. I pull it with an Acura MDX which is not a heavy-duty suv and does not have stiff rear springs. What I want to know is what is the least amount of tongue weight I can run and still be safe?

I don't want any "trailor queen" remarks either--I put 6000 miles on this car last summer,but when going to a multi day event that is far I have to trailor,because my wife has physical problems and can't ride real far in the T and with 2 people and fuel tank in the trunk there is no room for luggage

2. Big_John

Big_John
    from Upstate NY

The rule of thumb is 10% of the total weight of the trailer and load should be on the tongue.

What you really want though is a weight distributing hitch.

3. GARY T.

GARY T.
    from S.W. Pa

Acura does not recomend using a weight distributing hitch

The "T" only weighs around 2500 lbs,I don't know how much the trailor weighs

4. Von Rigg Fink

Von Rigg Fink
    from Garage

Acura has a 5000# trailer towing ability..if it has the right hitch on it.

how much does your T and trailer weight combined? (im sure its under that)

maybe you are pulling your T too far up on the trailer? and is it a single axle trailer or dual?

if single, its real easy to put too much on the tow vehicles rear end.
    and also easy to not put enough..

5. twofosho

twofosho

Sounds like Easy-Lift time to me.

Back in the days of "real" cars with torquey engines, beefy frames, and soft baby buggy suspension, a torsion bar type hitch was the answer to getting enough tongue weight for good control without overloading the rear suspension. After shifting enough weight onto the tongue for good control they raise the rear end back up. This jacks weight back onto the front suspension too for maintaining steering control. And there's always something to be said for keeping it off the bump stops for maintaining YOUR composure.

Seriously, one of these allows you to run with far more forward weight bias to insure against not getting into a white knuckled, tail wagging situation you might not come out of in one piece.

While you're at it, why not make sure you're using something more substantial for a hitch than the typical flimsy bolt on, flat bracket type of receiver usually sold for the type of vehicle you describe. A triangulated, welded on to the chassis one that takes the entire back half of the car with it if it does come off is what I'd recommend, and make sure it's for a standard two inch square stinger.

Easy Lifts come up on Craig's List and at garage sales all the time if you don't want to step up and buy new. You need the stinger with sockets for the torsion bars, the torsion bars themselves (they're not all the same, and yes I've bought torsion bars at a garage sale that didn't fit the stinger I had at the time, so beware if you buy them separate), the over centering trailer tongue brackets, chains that connect the bars to the brackets (usually permanently attached to the ends of the torsion bars), and the tool (bar) used to over center the frame brackets, preloading the hitch. I've seen trailer tongue brackets that weld, bolt, and even clamp to the tongue rails, but if they don't weld on make sure they fit your rails.

These things work, give one a try.

6. GARY T.

GARY T.
    from S.W. Pa

It has the HD factory hitch. The trailor is a tandem with elec brakes. T weighs around 2500 lbs---not sure what trailor weighs its a steel one with just 2 ramps not full floor

7. twofosho

twofosho

See paragraph three above.

8. GARY T.

GARY T.
    from S.W. Pa

Acura does not recomend using a weight distributing hitch

9. Von Rigg Fink

Von Rigg Fink
    from Garage

you'll need to know the minimum and maximum capacity that your car or truck can haul for the trip. If the tongue weight is too light, the trailer could sway while driving; if it is too heavy, you will have difficulty steering and maneuvering the towing vehicle safely. Experts agree that an acceptable tongue weight is between 9 and 15 percent of the gross trailer weight (GTW). You can perform a simple calculation to find out what the ideal range is for your vehicle.

Calculate your ideal tongue weight range. Multiply the GTW by 9 percent and then by 15 percent to determine what your ideal range for the tongue weight is.

10. GARY T.

GARY T.
    from S.W. Pa

I have no idea how much the trailor weighs

11. Von Rigg Fink

Von Rigg Fink
    from Garage

probably why they say that..liability, and that your vehicle is a "light hauler"..load level or weight dist. hitches could have people putting way too much on the vehicle and do more than flip you in the ditch..burn up trans. engine..brakes..etc..

12. Von Rigg Fink

Von Rigg Fink
    from Garage

go have your stuff weighed at the local truck stop..empty and with your T on it

cheap piece of mind

13. Von Rigg Fink

Von Rigg Fink
    from Garage

trick for tongue weight

Attached Files:

14. JOECOOL

JOECOOL

I've been telling people on here for a long time that a equalizer hitch is a cruel form of band-aid.
    The easiest way to set tongue weight is this way. If you want say 350 lbs. just have a friend or two that weigh 350 stand on the hitch or bumper. Measure from any point on the hitch to the ground. Next ,hook up the trailer and roll the car forward or backward till you get the same measurement.( without the friends)
    You also need the trailer to set pretty level ,tongue pointed up will raise the back of the tow car when hard braking, opposite with it pointed down. You'll be fine.
    Whatever you do don't ask how to tie it down,we don't want that can of worms open again!!

Last edited: May 22, 2010
  15. GARY T.

GARY T.
    from S.W. Pa

The thing is --I don't know what tongue wt I should have????

16. Von Rigg Fink

Von Rigg Fink
    from Garage

thats a product of your trailer weight and load..you need to have both weights..and than get 10 to 15% of that on your tongue

every load will have a different tongue weight..its not a one given number for your tow rig and trailer..you need empty weight of trailer and weight of load..
    truck stop..has scales to make this easy...or you can get pretty close

you know the weight of your car..or close..and you could estimate the weight of your trailer..hit middle of the road on the % say like 11% or 12% tongue weight and you should be golden

17. Von Rigg Fink

Von Rigg Fink
    from Garage

I got it down to "Vision" because i have done it so much with the same rig..( tow vehicle , trailer, and load )

i pull the car up on the trailer until i see the right "squat" on my tow vehicle.

once you haul that car enough on this set up, you will get it right every time..(as long as its the same load each time, like the same car)

it sounds like you could be very close to your limit with your tow vehicle on this deal..depending on how heavy duty that trailer is..hope that trailer has brakes

im guessing your T probably weighs in at 2800# and your trailer at 1900 or 2000..so your creeping up on your 5000 total allowable on your tow vehicle

and your hitch probably has a max tongue weight value you need to look into..you may be over it if you run this set up correctly to begin with

18. rockable

rockable
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Here's the bottom line. You need enough to keep the tail from wagging the dog. Just try moving the car back and forth a little on the trailer until you find the best compromise. You will know when it does not have enough (very unstable handling and any interruption to air flow will make you very nervous) and you will know when it has too much (rear suspension bottoming out.)

19. twofosho

twofosho

It's quite simple really. You want enough tongue weight that the hairs in the small of your back aren't standing up when you go down the road, but not so much the car's rear end is riding on the bump stops.

If you're not even willing to figure out the gross trailer weight with your car on it and take the advice given above for calculating the tongue weight, then the only thing you can do is load the T on the trailer as far rearward as possible and drive around, stopping to move the car forward an inch at a time until your knuckles aren't white anymore. Eventually you'll find the sweet spot and you'll know it when you do. If you don't reach that point before the rear suspension on the towing vehicle bottoms out on the heaviest of bumps, you're golden. If it does, even once, go out and buy a vehicle that will do the job you wanted this one to do.

20. Von Rigg Fink

Von Rigg Fink
    from Garage

Most MDX vehicles have a class #3 hitch..and that on that vehicle only allows a 350# tongue weight..dont exceed that

you sound border line on this set up..unless i over estimated your car and trailer weight

dont push the border..it gets ugly, and your insurance Co. may spank you hard if you ditch this rig and walk away..I try never to go over my equipments allowable range..sounds like your weak link is the 350# tongue weight.

to be 100% sure..spend the time and money(some truck stops charge for scale use) getting your weights..you will feel alot better about it than

21. Von Rigg Fink

Von Rigg Fink
    from Garage

http://www.hitchsource.com/honda-pilot-acura-mdx-trailer-hitch-class-iii-p-25887.html

looks like if you have a WD hitch you can go up to 500# tongue weight..read the link above..it even says having a weight dist. set up will get you to 500#..
    so im not sure where you read about them saying not to use the WD hitch..

just FYI..maybe the car MFG..doesnt like to state that, because they know it will eventually burn up your trans?

An Acura MDX probably wouldnt be concitered a very good tow vehicle to tow a full 5G's up and down hills...you sure as hell dont ever want to run in over drive..certain death to the trans

22. GARY T.

GARY T.
    from S.W. Pa

I put a HD tranny cooler on it ----I think they don't want that type of hitch because of the 4 wheel stability control???

23. Von Rigg Fink

Von Rigg Fink
    from Garage

could be..can it be turned off?

dont run in overdrive for sure..sounds like you would be very close to the limit on this set up...how far were you thinking of pulling like this? with this vehicle?

can i suggest you buy something American:eek::D(just razing ya)
    like a GMC Z-71 :cool:

24. GARY T.

GARY T.
    from S.W. Pa

about 200 miles ---MDX made in Canada

25. Von Rigg Fink

Von Rigg Fink
    from Garage

I was just pushing your buttons:eek:..my GMC was built in Mexico probably:mad:

I think you would feel better if you got your weights and did the math to see where your at..at least when you get out there with it, you will know what your dealing with and how close the numbers are..
    I trust you have trailer brakes...right!?:cool:

26. F&J

F&J

[​IMG]

Gary, don't tow a loaded car trailer with something like this. On a highway with truck drafts, insane inconsiderate drivers, etc. It's not worth it. ...and i'd bet you will cook the trans anyways.

It just looks wrong IMO

27. GARY T.

GARY T.
    from S.W. Pa

I've towed with no problems---just think I might have too much tongue wt,but don't want to have not enough

28. Von Rigg Fink

Von Rigg Fink
    from Garage

that could be true..( i do believe ya)..but when the chips are down and your dealing with some dip shit or a bad traffic situation would you be able to control it in an emergency situation?:confused:

thats where the rubber hits the road when it comes to towing a trailer..going straight down the e-way is the easy part..its when some douche pulls a dumb stunt or the weather gets iffy is where it seperates the boys from the men when it comes to tow rigs, and experiance too

just want you to remain a member here:cool:

29. johnny bondo

johnny bondo
    from illinois

get a tow dolly/tow bar setup? then you wont have to worry about it? i say if you gotta worry about your tongue wieght you are driving the wrong vehicle..... acura... yuck, buy a REAL vehicle not that yuppy take your kid to school and haul flower garbage.

30. Von Rigg Fink

Von Rigg Fink
    from Garage

i put this up on another thread about the same thing about 3 days ago:D

he was going to do it with a mini truck with about the same capacity with more weight