Register now to get rid of these ads!

Growing up, I remember...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 3wLarry, May 27, 2010.

1. How about "I'm with stupid" t-shirts. Seems we could use a lot more of those these days.
    Or, "save gas - fart in a can" patches.

2. Seeing this Frederick's ad reminded me of a comment, Janet, my best friend ( and former spouse) said while watching an old '50s B-movie that I have in my DVD collection: "Gee, all those women in that film had real pointy tits!" She thought it was hilarious.

3. calvinh

calvinh

.....working for the things I wanted. Learning manners and respect but getting in a lot of shenanigans also. Spending summers riding my bike and staying gone till dark. My first go-kart, my first mini bike, my first car. Me and my cousin sneaking beers out of a cooler at a family cookout when I was 13. Me and my cousin having hangovers from said beers. Sabrina, the first girl I kissed. Michelle, the first girl I........... Baseball in the empty lot down the street. Sneaking out and walking 10 miles to see a girl who's parents were supposed to be out of town but weren't and walking the 10 miles back. My parents divorcing. My grandparents passing. My great uncle telling me stories of his service in World War II and Korea.

4. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

At about the age of 10 (1970's) I seen a bumper sticker that said "When I die bury me face down so the whole world can Kiss My Ass". I thought that was the most funniest thing then.

5. firingorder1

firingorder1

Those bras were known as Rawhide Bras. They rounded them up and pointed them out!

6. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

I say let them run free

7. Deuces

Deuces

How about those yellow triple A stickers that said "Bring them back alive"?? Those were everywhere! Anyone remember playing strikeout with your pals??

8. billsill45

billsill45
    from SoCal

I noticed Dick Biondi's name in the DJ lineup. I used to listen to him in the early 60's when I lived in St.Paul ... he was on the 8 - 12 PM shift at WLS in Chicago (a top 40 rocker at the time), which we could pick up at night. Chicago radio always seemed cooler than the Minneapolis/St.Paul stations.

9. billsill45

billsill45
    from SoCal

The Los Angeles Times did a profile on Art about 6 months ago. He's still doing some work for one of the spanish language stations in L.A ... he's almost 90 and still working!

10. edweird

edweird

when was the first time yall saw a naked chick on the movie screen? MINE WAS VANISHING POINT.

11. wvenfield

wvenfield

Pretty Maids all in a Row.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0067610/

It was at a drive in with Kansas City Bomber

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0068795/

I just noticed that Pretty Maids was rated R and I must have been around 11 but they let me in.

Last edited: May 31, 2010
  12. Rudebaker

Rudebaker
    from Illinois

If you you lived in West Branch back then it was Channel 4 WOC CBS), 6 WHBF (NBC) & 8 WQAD (ABC) out of the QC right? I remember when it was only Channel 4 and 6. It was a major event when Channel 8 started broadcasting.

Remember KSTT-AM? It was what all the "cool" kids listened to before FM. I also remember staying up late on weekends so I could tune in KAAY out of Little Rock Arkansas. It was a typical Bible Belt station during the day but at Midnight on Sat. or Sunday they aired a show called "Beaker St." which played what at the time was "underground" rock music.

13. indygasser

indygasser

14. Truckedup

Truckedup

The first time I heard Fuck said in a movie..Mash movie about 1970,a football game and a big guy says "I'll rip off your fucking head."

15. tommy

tommy
    Member Emeritus

I remember our first state of the art RCA Victor entertainment center. A 10" TV screen, An AM/FM radio that tilted out to tune in a station and a 78 RPM only record player in the top. It predated 45s. It was the first one on our block. I remember the TV repair man that came with his big tool box. Later I did learn from my father how to test tubes for it at the drug store. Find the tube number in the scroll on top and set the dials to the proper settings and press the button.

Kookla, Fran and Ollie, Howdy Doody, Broderick Crawford (10-4)(that might be why I like 55-57 Buick's so much)

Jack Webb. When that heavy hammer stamped "A Mark 7 Production"(the original) it was time for me to go to bed. I stayed real still laying on the floor with my chin in my palms hoping she wouldn't remember but she never forgot. Ok Tommy...time for bed.

I remember a genuine huckster truck selling produce on the street in front of my house with canvas curtains on the side covering the hole in the side. I remember chasing the Harvey Dairy milk delivery truck to get some ice in the summertime. Their ice was in the shape of a doughnut that we sucked on in the heat.

I remember seeing "double winger" planes and shouting "look a double winger!"

I remember Mr Butlers market on the corner with the big round Coke sign on the side that would ring like a gong when when we hit it with a snow ball in the winter. He had the horizontal soda cooler with 2 lift up doors on top hinged in the middle and the ice cold water that made your hand ache if you had a hard time finding the odd ball stuff like Cream soda, Frosty Rootbeer and orange Tru Aid. He did have the balsa gliders in the spring and the Revell Highway Pioneers plastic models that got me started. The Stutz Bearcat was the coolest looking because of the fenders. I used to use my moms hairpin to fish out my fathers used Gillette safety razor blades from the back of the blue dispenser to use in model making.

I remember Haystacks Calhoon with the horse shoe around his neck and Antonino Rocca with his flying drop kick. Roller Derby and the Gillette Friday night fights. Rocky Marciano the only undefeated heavy weight champion.

I remember the Jewell T door to door salesman that came around every so often He also sold toys so I liked it when he came. Never got much but you got to see how the rich kids lived.:D

I remember the plastic 55-57 Fords that came in cereal boxes. We would make balsa skirts and dual exhaust pipes from wire insulation glued to the bumper and painted "chrome". The above mentioned razor blades were used to nose and deck them as well as deepen the axle slots for the snap in tires and axles lowering them in the back only which was the fad at that time. When we played with them in the dirt we'd pick one up and say "mine is lowered, skirts and duals." even if it just came out of the box. I used a wood burning iron to melt and sculpt big fins like the Aztec.

All fond memories from a quaint time that most of you guys would think as antiquated and dumb. I wouldn't change a thing.

16. unklgriz

unklgriz

When nobody worked on holidays

Larry

17. Mazooma1

Mazooma1

no kidding....and not much of anything was open on sundays, too...

Maybe grocery stores...if I remember correctly

We had a big May Co. department store in Arcadia, CA that we'd skateboard at on sundays, because nobody was there...had great concrete ramps and such...
    Nope, nothing was open on sundays. I don't remember of any hardware stores open either.

On another note, you had to have your cash for the weekend by friday afternoon. No ATMs.
    We had a market here that would cash my checks on a saturday or sunday 'cause they knew me, but if they were closed I was screwed.
    We got out first ATM in 1984. It was during the Los Angeles Olympics, so thats the only reason I remember the year.
    And remember when banks closed at 3PM? And none were open on saturdays.

18. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

Traveling with Mom and Dad north bound on the 5 just before the 134. I would tell Dad to go down the slow lane so I could see the storm drain gates. Someone or group painted them to look like cats.

19. Mazooma1

Mazooma1

..........and the old guy down the street that would mow his lawn every saturday with a push mower (everyone had a push mower, by the way) and he always mowed the lawn wearing a white short-sleeved shirt and a tie.

The distintive sound of a school bus in the distance

The districtive sound of a Chrysler starter motor

The very place where I was at the exact moment that I learned about:
    -JFK was dead
    -The Space Shuttle Challenger crashed
    -the phone call with the highway patrol that mom was dead
    -"some kook flew a plane into one of the "Twin Towers"
    -the moment I got lottery #63 for the draft
    - and countless others

20. Mazooma1

Mazooma1

Pacific Ocean Park..."POP"

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

21. Searcher

Searcher

I went to POP.... That roller coaster had real funk.....

22. Mazooma1

Mazooma1

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

23. Jagman

Jagman

My draft lottery number was 13.......

I could tell from the sound of the starter what kind of car it was, Chrysler, Ford, or any number of imports.....

Pop top cans. My dad designed and engineereed vending machines and one of their major customers was Coca Cola, we had cases of pop top cokes that he brought home, years before they hit the market. They had sent them to test the machine designs and the cans had gotten scratched, so they couldn't sell then.....

24. Mazooma1

Mazooma1

25. onlychevrolets

onlychevrolets

I did a thread on this a few months back...lots of great memories that I had forgotten... how about the old silver steel bumpers that where optional on pickups and they had the dealers name stamped in them and the letters where painted red.

26. The diving bell at POP and after the place shut down the Cheetah Club and people squatting elsewhere on the site.

Oh, and the billboard with the Chimps face and the pitch that POP clears all eight sinuses. :D

27. sawbuck

sawbuck
    from 06492 ct

tying a fishing pole to your bicycle,going to the reservoir. coming home with a stringer of pan fish hanging from the handle bars... ..

28. Mazooma1

Mazooma1

Man, what fun dad and I had going to these places............

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

29. #### Guilty !! I had the Mattel V-RRROOOMMM Motor !! Had 3 speeds of engine sound. 1st speed sounded like a fat guy letting a long ass belch. It was pretty cheezy but that's how it was !!! >>>>.

30. sawbuck

sawbuck
    from 06492 ct

sneakin in the pits,stock car races.....in the side tool boxes of my uncles race car hauler, ramp truck.....12 ,13 years old... stafford springs ,thomson speedway .