Register now to get rid of these ads!

Growing up, I remember...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 3wLarry, May 27, 2010.

1. Nitro crew chief

Nitro crew chief
    from Illinois

I remember at least one guy freezing at the top, and maybe a couple of guys falling. But it wasn't a big deal back then.

2. Searcher

Searcher

Putting "Taps" on your shoes....:D

3. HealeyRick

HealeyRick
    from Mass.

McQueen, aka "Josh Randall", carried the "mare's leg", a cut down Model 1892 rifle (not a shotgun) in "Wanted, Dead or Alive"

[​IMG]

4. HealeyRick

HealeyRick
    from Mass.

1. "Bullet" from "Roy Rogers"

2. "Lassie"

3. "Rin Tin Tin"

4. "Flub-a-dub" from Howdy Doody:

Flub-a-dub (originally Flubdub) was a unique South American animal with a duck's head, a cat's whiskers, a giraffe's neck (encircled with rings), a cocker spaniel's ears, a seal's flippers (and four webbed feet), a raccoon's tail hairpiece, a dachshund's body and the memory of an elephant.

5. HealeyRick

HealeyRick
    from Mass.

What's the address where you'll find these guys:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. okiedokie

okiedokie
    from Ok

A handshake and a promise to repay a loan meant that is just what happened.

7. Surfside 6 - in Miami Beach! (as the theme went) I was more into 77 Sunset Strip, which would be an obvious choice from a kid from SoCal.. :D

8. The chain-drive Mack truck that was stashed away next to the Pan Pacific Auditorium. I always wanted to buy it and get my dad, brother and me to restore it as a father and sons project. Anyone else remember seeing it or know anything about it?

9. Buying the out-of-production/old stocks of models from Fazio's Hobby Shop 'cause they were cheap. :eek:

10. Dennis D

Dennis D

5 cent soda's at the drug store soda fountain. Checking to see if the new issue of Superman was in yet. Gas smelled like it should and it was orange and no one gave a rat's ass if you put it a glass gallon jug that you got from the local dairy queen after they emptied the syurp out of it. Running with sharp objects in your hand and getting told "your gonna put your eye out" by your mom. Dad's power mower with that gawd awfull rotary blade on it without one safety guard on it. Mom cooked 3 squares a day and you best be there to eat when you were suppose to be. Dad beatin' your ass when you needed it (and you most likely deserved it when it happened) and not even thinking about calling it abuse. Yep, I'm over 60 and like a lot of ya, I could go on and on. I'd go back to the 50's and 60's and my old home town like it use to be in a heartbeat. Thanks for the thread and the memories. Dennis D
    And how in the hell did we get Mattel "shoot-n-shell" toys? Can you imagine the safety Nazi's after those in this day and time? LOL!

Last edited: Jun 2, 2010
  11. Getting my new Schwinn Super Delux Stingray 1967
    Playing cards in my spokes
    My 1st wheelie
    Collecting bottles to buy CARtoons magazines and balsa wood airplanes
    Ditching school to race slotcars
    Playing carroms til 11pm
    Going with my dad to drive new cars on Sundays
    Camping in Yosemite
    Walking around the Great Western Exibit Hall with Ed Roth
    Ascot Speedway
    Trojan Speedway
    Watching Batman,The Munsters,and Gilligans Island on TV
    Emptying out a gumball machine full of Ratfink keychains...
    1st kiss....1st base,Patty Laughenburger,7th grade!!!!!!!

12. HealeyRick

HealeyRick
    from Mass.

When I was 13 (1963) we went on a family vacation to California. Here's what I remember:

Flying on a real "jet" plane, a Boeing 707. Everyone dressed up, suit for Dad.

Disneyland - Couldn't wait to drive on Autopia, 20,000 Leagues under the Sea, Nearly yuked on the Mad Tea Cups, great fun

Dinner at "North Woods", peanut shells all over the floor.

Smog

Going to the beach where they had a giant blue plastic whale where you could swim out to (Newport, Huntington?)

Getting a sunburn on the back of my legs, couldn't walk for 3 days. Had to sit in the car while the parents toured the celeb graves at Forest Lawn

Going to a bicycle shop to get a high-rise gooseneck for my bike. Big fad in Cali at the time. Also got a skull and bones decal for my rear fender saying, "Watch my rear end, Not hers" I was about the coolest thing around in my little Massachusetts town once I put that stuff on.

13. HealeyRick

HealeyRick
    from Mass.

Surfside 6 was #3. 77 Sunset Strip was #1. And of course, the guys in #2 were getting their kicks on "Route 66".

14. firingorder1

firingorder1

That would be Newport Dunes. I loved going there as a kid. Its now a high dollar RV "resort". Oh, and the whale is gone.

15. Mazooma1

Mazooma1

Here ya go...Rick...there's still three of 'em

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

16. Did you ever try to flip the whale? It used to be a challenge for visitors to Newport Dunes to group together and try to do so.

I remember one time somebody getting their hand caught between the anchor chain and the whale's body when it got turned over. I think the guy was more frightened than injured. :eek:

17. alittle1

alittle1

My first pair of 'white bucks' shoes, used to wear them with grey flannel pants, navy jacket, light blue button-down shirt, and a ascot. Top it off with some Old Spice. Wicked!

18. firingorder1

firingorder1

We used to wait until we got a few kids on there and then start rocking it to see if we could flip it. It was fun to watch slide off and maybe hit a flipper on the way down. Somewhere in the attic there is some 8mm home movies of the place.

19. burnout2614

burnout2614

My grandfather shifting from low straight to hi ALWAYS and never getting past 45 mph......His father-in-law (my great-granddad) ALWAYS flooring his 62 Impala when he drove. I was super-pumped when he let me drive him around when I was 14. AND the first time I shifted a sb chevy at 6500 rpm...............that I built myself!!!!! peace

20. wvenfield

wvenfield

Ghoulardi came before The Ghoul. I've seen ol Froggy around. He seems to hang around some.

For those who are older they will remember Froggy from Buster Brown and Andy Devine.

21. HealeyRick

HealeyRick
    from Mass.

Yeah, we used to get a big yuck out of "Twang your magic twanger, Froggy"

22. How about...Milton the Monster?

23. Skrap metal

Skrap metal

filler up with ethyl!

24. Chuck R

Chuck R

I remember climbing under my desk in grammar school to be protected from nuclear attack. A cold war tradition. Let's make the kids feel safe while the world was going sideways. Somehow no one pushed the button and we all lived.
    Simple instructions: "Place your head between your legs and kiss your ass goodbye"

25. My step-sister's first husband was a great fan of Froggy and bought a plastic toy version and an appropriate grandfather clock to set him on for their home. My step-sis didn't believe there was such a character and thought I was in on the joke (on her) as well. "Ahh, ahh, ahh, ahh, ahh..." :eek:

26. Going to see the taping of Skipper Frank and Bozo the Clown for a friend's birthday, as well as getting tickets to such memorable (not necessarily for the right reasons!) game shows as Video Village at CBS Television City, which I could walk to from home.

Regularly attending the Steve Allen Show in the mid-1960s.

27. alittle1

alittle1

I remember borrowing a Amal carb throttle needles from my 650 Triumph to a tall lanky blond haired kid with a stripped down Gran Prix racing frame at Snow Valley, ND hill climb. Kid's name was Knievel. Went like a bat out of Hell. Nice guy.

Kick starting a 500cc single TR3, having it back fire and being thrown over the handlebars.

Steelshoe'ing it around 1/2 mile dirt tracks, safety equipment consisted of machine boots and a pair of roper gloves. Then, putting your fenders, lights and mufflers on and riding home at night.

Putting short pipes on my TR6 that stuck out either side just past my knees, and taking a ride down the backlane with flames shooting out about 2 feet....more when you backed of the throttle.

Remembering to be careful when riding in the rain. When your gloves get wet and your holding on to the clutch with your finger tips, don't rev the bike and lose concentration or you'll end up sitting on your ass on the wet pavement with your bike taking off with out you on it.

You can drive at 60 mph with no hands on the bars, and you can go in and out of the dotted lines in the middle of the road by wiggling your ass for a half mile, or at least until you get hit in the forehead by a big horking bumble bee. Then its heading for the rhubarb.

Never ride behind another bike on a gravel road if he has a 'bobbed' rear fender!

Knobby tires will not give you traction in dry loose sand, they will dig you to Hell twice as fast though!

28. Heo

Heo

Remember shooting my mothers clothespins from the
    line with my airgun and getting yelled at by my father
    but when it was just him an me he told me god shooting.
    The smell when my father and i disasembled a model T
    engine he found in an anthill. Old oil and antpiss yuck
    Western movies in B/W on TV

29. alittle1

alittle1

.... some of our dumb ass sayings, like 'peeling rubber',

did you see that guy 'peel out'

Want to drag? Sure! Drag your ass around the block.

Pour coal Newt, he's gaining on us.

Popping the clutch, holding it to the boards.

If this Van's rocking, don't come a knocking.

Gas or Ass, no one rides for free.

When was the last time you 'double clutched'?

Still got your 'necker's knob'?

Do Northerner's still put on 'frost shields' and do Southerner's still think its 'bulletproof glass'!

Will a 'Southwind' heat you up or cool you down.

Didja 'make out' at the drive-in last night? Or, didja choke your chicken?

Was your girlfriend 'riding the stick' in your '32. ( not what you were thinking, means sitting close to you).

See you on the 'flip-flop'.

Can you still 'guzzle a beer'?

Did you see the 'fuzzy seatcovers' westbound at mile 119 in the white Porsche?

Okay, your turn......

30. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

I remember that bike and the wheelies that went for miles and miles with one hand.