Register now to get rid of these ads!

I Did Something Bad!!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Wicked50, Jul 25, 2010.

1. Wicked50

Wicked50

I was bored today so I decided to write down the parts still needed to get my truck drivable. Then came the worst thing I could do...... I added what everything would cost and it ruined my spirits of ever getting this thing on the road. Totally lost motivation :( :(

2. never add up what a car or a woman costs. great advice from my dad!!

3. Wicked50

Wicked50

If I only knew that about 2 hours ago.

4. Squablow

Squablow

Sounds like my house. Plus, seems like when I do it, everything costs twice what I figure on. I'm feeling the same way right now.

5. Ignorance is bliss!

6. Rude Dude

Rude Dude

Just get it running use pick a part salvage yard parts, Then as you go replace with new parts. Never give up, learn to do work yourself

7. L7

L7

I exactly know how you feel.
    Try to look to the bright side though, sometimes the high costs force us to be more creative and come up with alternatives that can set one vehicle apart from the others! I like to see things that are not the same ol' same ol'. Some folks here with awesome talents that can really make you think and drool - wish I had more natural talent !

8. onlychevrolets

onlychevrolets

funny story here, we are restoring a 68 Camaro for a lady that wants a hot rod, Friday she came by the shop to pick up a list of parts we need . I told her that list was just what I need for right now and I'd have her another one in a few days. She said ( this is strange ) " I have to hide all this from my husband, he thinks I'm spending to much money"....kinna backward isn't it?

9. Wicked50

Wicked50

Ya I'm gonna re-gasket my engine myself and try to put all the accessories on myself but my suspension is what is going to kill me $4K that's just to have it installed but if i do my own airbag work that will cut about $1,500 off the price.

10. 390kid

390kid

one part at a time. i doudbt even if you got all the parts at once you could have it all done in a weekend. number your list and first things first. its also cheap just to clean restore some parts, do rust repair or what ever. do all the stuff that never gets done once its on the road

11. lippy

lippy
    from Ks

Yeah, you never want to do that thats for sure! Now have some fun with the deal. Set down with your list and try to figure out how to build, trade, or do it yourself to knock the list down one at a time. You can do it! :D Lippy

12. truckncoupe

truckncoupe

gotta start somewhere...don't get overwhelmed! Conquer one at a time!:D

13. redlinetoys

redlinetoys
    from Midwest

Best recommendation is to add up one project at a time. Save for it. Do it. Before you know it you will be home.

Example. Complete brakes. Master cylinder, new lines, wheel cylinders, rubber hoses, springs, pads, etc. Spend the 500 bucks or so and get the brakes DONE. Then move on. Same with the front suspension.

Took me 18 years to get the car done. Sounds ridiculous, but I didn't just cut checks to get the work done. I did the mostly myself with money left over after summers and winters taking care of my family.

Time has been as precious a commodity as cash. Eventually you will get there.

14. Wicked50
    Don't give up man. It's great you made a list. Just start buying what you can afford and keep an eye out for good deals. Before you know it you'll have all you need. Don't let anyone or anything break your spirit. Hang in there.

15. peter johnson

peter johnson

Just keep going,one step at a time!Things you cant do just have a go at,time is free!Stay cool

16. Wicked50

Wicked50

Thanks guys all the suspension work with the engine and trans mounts is going to be done by some guy in my brothers lowrider club in So Cal he's giving me the family price so I have to get it all done at one time since he lives about 4-5 hours away.

17. Noname38

Noname38

Take it one step at a time....

18. It doesn't work that way if you stay with it. The first build is expensive, then when you're kinda happy with where you are , another project comes along to tempt you back in. The prices seem to drop after a while, and eventually you have an entire yard full of cool stuff that will never get finished.

19. temper_mental

temper_mental
    from Texas

If it was easy everyone would be doing it.

20. slammed

slammed

Build it or sell it. Dwell on it will drive you crazy. Or go to a bar, now there's a depressing cost/ratio.........

21. Man rule #4 never add the numbers. thats what wifes are for and then they wont let you forget it.

22. JAWS

JAWS

Was asked once how much it costs to do what I love to do.

The only answer I could come up with......every penny I'll ever spend doing it.

Only count costs if you are set on selling. If this is for you to enjoy, then do just that. Enjoy spending every penny of it.

23. Wicked50

Wicked50

I talked to my brother about it and I feeling a little more confident about getting it put together.

Is $3500 to much to have a MII, tri-4 link, rear notch and engine and trans mounts welded in here in California?

24. 390kid

390kid

25. flat34pu

flat34pu

if you are not a welder,fabricator, and that included parts and labor?
    i dont own a pickup that i would do that to today so i have not looked at the cost of those parts, including going down to the wrecking yard or local mustang ranch to cost the front end.
    so it might be your best bet.
    i had to do alot of overtime to get and keep my little '34 pickup a driver still underconstruction.
    rich

26. 390kid

390kid

price it out locally also. sometimes a "bro" deal ends up costing more in the end

27. Wicked50

Wicked50

Just Labor

I have all the parts ready to go

28. it hurts less if you just take it one day at a time instead of trying to do it all in a lump sum.

29. 52pig

52pig

So true. Never rush and never focus too hard on being finished, the trip is half the fun any way.

30. havi

havi

Did this two years ago when progress seemed really slow back then, ain't any farther now. I've been depressed ever since. :)