Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Hot Rod Of The Month - March, 1953

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Ryan, Mar 7, 2011.

1. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

2. hrm2k

hrm2k

Nice stuff. I wonder if the car still exists today.

150 + MPH in a street driven car in '53 took very big go-nads !!!!!!

You find the coolest stuff with these posts......thanks

3. anthonyg

anthonyg
    from arizona

I'd love to go that fast

4. thats fast for a dune buggy.. very slick...
    musta some how gained traction to get that e.t. speed?

tires,gears and clutch, tranny being week links for that much h.p.
    of coarse little books never lie....????

5. Dale Fairfax

Dale Fairfax
    Member Emeritus

And where did it say he did that on a dragstrip? Traction is a factor on the salt or at the lakes but not usually controlling. Lots of hemis ran in front of old Ford drivelines back then.

6. Jeff Norwell

Jeff Norwell
    Staff Member

Now thats a HOT ROD

7. autobilly

autobilly

Terrific car, no doubt, but stylistically the track nose looks a little "heavy" up front for my taste.
    [​IMG]

8. BrerHair

BrerHair
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

My thoughts exactly. Guess you can never tell what will fire up the masses. Is it the track nose that misses the mark? (I love track noses)

Does it have to be exactly what you would want if you got one chance to own a traditional hot rod (in order to be able to say "Great hot rod")?

This is not that for me . . . but I can honestly say, great hot rod!!

9. autobilly

autobilly

"...Is it the track nose that misses the mark? (I love track noses)..."-BrerHair

A hood and sides might "balance" it up, but what a shame to hide that beautiful Hemi.

10. Gordon did it 8 years before I did. What he did, and the time in which he did it make his effort simply amazing. The nose is a bit larger than I'd like, but, damn, his car hauled ass, and he realized his dream. That is an awesome accomplishment, and a memory that remains with you for life. My kind of story. Thanks Ryan!

11. Jeff Norwell

Jeff Norwell
    Staff Member

I think a hood top and a full bellypan would have helped things....(looking at the 7/8 shot)
    The nose is a bit heavy, agree, but the workmanship in that car for the year is outstanding. Comparing 57 years ago to today is apples and oranges.
    Most everything(engine wise anyhow) was hand fabbed. Look at those beautiful header/bonneville pipes!
    I still think she's a beaut.

12. 296ardun

296ardun

Going back to early HRMs, it's hard to find many overhead powered street cars, particularly with early Chryslers (they were only 2-3 years old then). Potter apparently hand-fabricated the intake, the headers, etc. ...that was what real hot rodding was all about...we can quibble about the looks (sort of agree about the nose), but this roadster was really pioneering for its hemi, its performance, and its finish. Thanks for reminding us about it!

13. The nose is what made him so fast. Well it could happen!

14. von Dyck

von Dyck

Transmission Adapter! Never seen one welded to the block.
    "Very interesting, .......but st----!" Artie Johnson

15. draggin'GTO

draggin'GTO

Track nose does look a bit heavy, but likely big enough for a radiator that will keep that big Hemi nice and cool. Probably could drive it anywhere he wanted without overheating.

One of the greatest Hot Rods of all time.

16. A bored & stroked 331ci Chrysler HEMI powered Hot Rod ... What's not to like! :D

17. johnny bondo

johnny bondo
    from illinois

well..... now i know all it takes to put a ford tranny behind a hemi is a 3/8 plate lol

18. "
    Even so, Gordon was getting time slips that many of us don’t even dare to dream about. One hundred and fifty miles per hour in a street roadster? In 1953?
    Sometimes, the numbers of yesteryear absolutely boggle my mind."

I think it's because no one ever told them they 'can't'. That time in history was a 'let's do it and see what happens' period for the US. If it didn't work, they just kept at it til it did. That's why we call them 'pioneers'- someone has to lead the way.

Thanks for the post Ryan. Definately something to think about.

JK

19. 29 bones

29 bones
    from so cal

great car I have this magazine,Its done very well,and it sure looks like a/n fittings to the master cylinder???? sorry the fuel block.....

any comments?? true or not??

20. flamingokid

flamingokid

That is one helluva car for the time and I think the track nose kind of grows on you.

21. Ghost of ElMirage

Ghost of ElMirage

I like the track nose cuz it's "different" not everyone has one. The same reason I don't and WON'T buy a Harley cuz EVERYONE else has one. I don't rememnber the last time I saw a hotrod roadster in my area with a track nose. It's always a deuce or model A or a T.