Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Are there any places left on the East Coast that still dips car bodys ??????

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by bubba67, Apr 4, 2011.

1. bubba67

bubba67
    from NJ

Need to have a body stripped but the guy I used to use is looong gone (Redi-strip of Allentown, PA) Is there anyone else on the East Coast that chemical strips bodies ??? HELP !!!

2. vert1940

vert1940

cincy too far?

3. redhumphries

redhumphries

careful dipping a car body you can never get all the chemicals out of pinch welds and you also cant get paint in there also. I have only messed with a few that were dipped and whenever it rained or they washed them rust would run out of the weld area door skins 1/4 and any other place with metal overlapped

4. Chemstrip , 8157 Penn Randall Place-Upper Marlboro Md 20772.
    1-301-420-9112

They have a website.

Just had a "Y" block dipped there.Excellent work in cleaning out the water jackets.

Watched a Barracuda take a dip while I was there.
    Fish in the tank :D

Oldmics

5. 40LUV

40LUV
    from Mid Jersey

It's been a few years since I used them, but isn't someone still operating at the Allentown Redi-Strip location, but under a different name? It was hard to get the guy to answer the phone.

6. ol'chevy

ol'chevy

There is one around Charlotte area.

7. fleetside66

fleetside66

Yes, it's still Redi-Atrip of Allentown. Their number is 610-437-7878. I just looked it up in the local phone book. I actually drove by there the other day & I'm almost sure that I saw their name on the list of businesses that are operating down by the Lehigh River. It's in kind of a funky obscure place, but I know exactly where it's at, as they stripped some stuff for me about five years ago or so. So, if you're going to visit there & need guidance, P.M. me.

8. BADBIRDCAGE

BADBIRDCAGE
    from Virginia

Carolina Chem Strip, Burlington, NC.

9. bubba67

bubba67
    from NJ

I tried their number but it was no longer in service.

10. bubba67

bubba67
    from NJ

Anyone know of any others ?

11. I've seen quite a few done as well.
    Not seen anyone having problems later though.
    I put that down to the difference between getting a job done properly and getting it done poorly. :eek:

jimgoetz likes this.
  12. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

x2 right there...

Yep, Carolina Chem Strip does a really good job. I usually get the OSPHO dip as well.

13. 85-percent

85-percent

There used to be one in Worcester Ma?

I agree dipping is heinous on sheet metal lap joints. Unintended consequences for trying to do the best of the best job you can on your car love.

-90% Jimmy

indyjps likes this.
  14. autobodyed

autobodyed
    from shelton ct

if you can't find anyone closer, call gary at american dry stripping, he does all kinds of stripping, from chemical to glass bead. hell of a nice guy and his prices are very reasonable. his no. is 203-876-9876. tell him eddie from autobody unlimited gave you his number. he'll charge you double!!

nevrdun, bantam and tb33anda3rd like this.
  15. 85-percent

85-percent

Being from CT, I am aware of American Dry Stripping 50 miles due directly south of me.

All my impressions over the years is that it is a very well run and professional business.

-jim

tb33anda3rd likes this.
  16. Paul2748

Paul2748

I had American Dry Stripping do a 56 Bird last January. Did a super job - but not cheap.

17. BADBIRDCAGE

BADBIRDCAGE
    from Virginia

I did with my frame. Couldn't paint it for a month. Kept weeping the OSPHO from some of the seams. Once it was done we painted it with Dupont Variprime and then PPG.

18. gasser john

gasser john

Auto Metal Paint Strippers co.
    74 1st. Ave.
    Bedford, Ohio 440-439-4550

(just south east of cleveland,. good luck

19. The37Kid

The37Kid

That is the ONLY place I'd have parts stripped, they even pick up and deliver parts & bodies. Give Gary a call, all the local restoration shops use this shop for show car grade restorations. :)

tb33anda3rd likes this.
  20. schwerko

schwerko
    from bristol ct

Did you ever try the ''aircraft stripper'' from your local auto body supply store, I've done a few cars with that. It works great.

21. orangeamcs

orangeamcs

I know this is a old thread but has anyone used chemstrip in upper Marlboro md? It's fairly local and I need a model t body stripped. I was thinking chemical wouldn't be to bad because it's mostly flat panels and not many seams

22. oj

oj

We sent a '58 Buick to them that had 27K original miles, when it came out of the tank it looked like a planitarium inside with all the pinpoints of light thru the holes. The entire floorpan had to be replaced.
    I'd do sodablast and deal with surface rust by hand. Once the metal is gone it is gone.

23. orangeamcs

orangeamcs

I need to do this body. I'd have someone soda or wet blast it but everyone in the area has a reputation for warping panels. That's not to say there isn't someone that I dont know of thats good

Attached Files:

24. treb11

treb11
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Soda blasting is only good for removing paint, not rust.

25. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

It sucks when it looks like that after it comes out. But the reality is that it needed to be done and if it hadn't been done it would have lured under whatever you did and come back to bite you in the ass. I always warn someone that is dipping a body about it. It's kind of like a dyno, it breaks hearts.

26. oj

oj

The reality is it didn't need to be done, the car had 27, 000 miles on it and sat in a garage for decades. The bodyman was too lazy to deal with undercoating and sent it off. I did the mechanicals and sent him the bare body attached to a rotisserie. It was 6 months later I heard from the owner about how the floor pans was coming along, I about had a heart attack when he told what had been done to that poor car. It was criminal, just criminal. There was some rust issues around 1 headlight and some panels behind the front tires. The body itself was a rock solid '58 Buick Special convertable, its hard telling how much metal they took off it.

27. I thought that with chemical stripping, there shouldn't be any metal coming off of it, only paint, rust, undercoating etc. Unless it was acid dipped?

28. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

I'm not sure what happened with that '58 oj I've never had it take more than it needed to just remove all the crud, crap, and rust. Could have been operator error and they let sit in the tank to long. I've only used http://chem-strip.com and never felt like it removed any metal.

29. The37Kid

The37Kid

I had a feeling it was this T Touring car body! That was the very first car I ever owned, sold it when it was about half way restored. Guy in New Jersey parted it out another HAMB menber got it and now it is yours. Front doors have been replaced, rears are in the primer I put on them in 1973, PERFECT tin under that. I sold the project and the body was sandblasted and NEVER primed. It held up fairly well IMO. All the brazed in stuff was done after I sold it. Please post a build thread, always good to see an old car I once owned making a come back. Bob [​IMG]

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  30. orangeamcs

orangeamcs

Trying to get it in epoxy primer to preserve it. I feel if it survived this long I should do it justice. It's going on a A chassis w a banger for a quick fun car. I will Definetly show more once I get that far

lothiandon1940 likes this.