Register now to get rid of these ads!

Lookey what I got for a project!! (Hyfire Poly!)

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by wolfhound423, May 10, 2009.

1. My firing ord is same as above.
    Boy I hate to bring this up, Some of the Poly's were built to run counter clock wise when they were used as marine engs.
    Good Luck
    Bob

2. This has nothing to do w/not starting.
    I will bet there is a lot of GAS IN THE OIL by now.
    You might want to change the oil be for it starts.
    Good Luck.
    Bob

3. the early dodge, plymouth and chrysler poly's were neat little engines. i used to run a 318 poly with four inline holley 94's in my 50 dodge wayfarer buisness coupe, the motor ran real strong and had a fair amount of torque.

..........you might check ebay for a stroker assy, i found a guy that was doing it for the 318 up to 390.

4. 73RR

73RR

...completely different engine....

5. Pull #1 plug, put your finger over the spark plug hole. Bump the motor (with the starter) until compression pushes past your finger. Then turn the crankshaft to align the timing marks. This is #1 firing, rotor button should align with #1 plug wire at this point.

#1 piston is at TDC twice during a power cycle. Once for exhaust, once for compression. Make sure you don't have it wired to fire on the exhaust stroke!

Check your timing marks to make sure the balancer outer ring hasn't slipped, a very common occurrence with our old motors. Remove #1 plug, use a soda straw or something soft as an indicator of the piston position, when #1 piston is at the very top of the stroke, the timing marks should align with 0 TDC.

6. Only one update - the new rear-sump pan landed and will be getting bolted up soon. No updates beyond that. I'm sitting in Kenya, if you can believe it... probably couldn't be any further away from Tacoma if I tried.

7. FANTM58

FANTM58

Thanks for the insperation, I need to rebuild my 58 258 poly , in my 58 Coronet.
    She smokes like pig.

Attached Files:

8. 73RR

73RR

?????????

9. George

George

Look @ the bright side, he didn't call it a 260!:)

10. Uhhh... what year/displacement did you say that motor was? It's Poly, but they didn't make the 259 in 1958... How many miles??? Could a "poor man's rebuild" help out - just a set of rings? Might be a lot cheaper/quicker than a full off rebuild. Mine is edging in on 2 years now...and it's still not done! Good luck!

11. FANTM58

FANTM58

I meant to type 325 poly !!!dont know what happened up there ????

12. mart3406

mart3406
    from Canada

I just finished reading all 371 posts
    and 19 pages of this thread and I'm
    truly inspired. Great build! Keep up
    the great work....and don't get
    disillusioned....you're almost there.
    I can't wait to see it when it's done!

Mart3406
    =========================

13. Motor mount is in, and you can see the fuel pump hanging out in the foreground (and where it had to have it's own notch cut in the mount to fit).

[​IMG]

14. malibulvr

malibulvr

Awesome build, just spent too much time catching up, lol. I had a 55 Belvedere, always wondered what type of motor that was, sold it before I got to work on it. Good luck with that engine. From your description it does sound like 180 out, did you try setting it up 180 from where your at now and giving it a go?

15. Good to see your back in POLY. land (USA) WOLFHOUND.
    Did you get the POLY running.

Bob

16. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

I'm always amazed at the engine swaps that turn up on the HAMB. I tend to take the easy route on mine, so when I see such dedication and tenacity I'm in awe. Very nice project and I hope it comes to life soon!

17. Bucky245

Bucky245

do u guys know if 318 poly heads will fit my 259 poly head

thanks

18. rbmain

rbmain
    from Newark, CA

You'll need hemi head bolts and pushrods, poly wont work. Also the exhaust manifold or custom headers.

Attached Files:

19. rbmain

rbmain
    from Newark, CA

318 poly heads do not fit 259. Why would you do that anyway?

20. Oh dear Lord, here we go again. Bucky - duck and cover, cuz they're going to get mean in a minute. I'll be nice: the 318 Poly is an LA motor and is NOT interchangeable with the early Poly (your 259). If you read a few pages back in this post, you'll see this question answered... several times. Have fun restoring the Hyfire you have!

21. And while I'm at it - a quick update on Blue's heart transplant. The new rear-sump pan is ready for installation. The last piece is the pan gasket, and that's enroute to Marty's. Once the pan is on, the rest of the power plant can get bolted up. Beyond that, we'll be getting the driveline cut to fit and rebalanced... then get everything ready to run. Yes, it has been a long winter/spring, but we have a goal in sight - Billetproof will be on 25 June, and I hope to have her there as a final cruise before we pack up and head off to the East Coast. :-(

22. George

George

Close, but no cigar! 318 Poly is an "A" not LA!:D

23. Quick update
    Drove the 39 Ply. truck w/ poly. motor today. What a blast!!!. Temp. never went over 160. The radiator is mounted behind the cab, I was a little concerned about over heating issues.

Attached Files:

24. Bucky245

Bucky245

i got this old 1955 dodge c-3 with a 259 poly for free it sat for over 30 years but a set of plugs and wires on it and it fired right up but when i went to put water in it i noticed that one of the heads had froze and blew the side of it out so i am curisous does any one know where i could find a set of heads or what heads will fit it

thanks

25. 73RR

73RR

Show us a couple of pics of the damaged area.
    "Lock-n-Stitch" has saved many broken castings.

26. Bucky245

Bucky245

okay i will when i get home im at school now what concerns me is that its is puffed out about a quarter of an inch so would i be able to slightly beat it or push it back in its right on the front side on drivers side closest to the fan

27. Bucky245

Bucky245

here is what i got goin for me

Attached Files:

28. George

George

If not fixable all heads from the Dodge Poly line will work 241/259/270/315/325, or install hemi heads off any of those size hemis, along with the hemi pistons, ex mans & push rods.

29. Before I spent any money for heads I'd pull the cracked ones and check the block really well.

30. 73RR

73RR

Yeah, after seeing he pics I'd agree on double checking the block. Heads obviously do crack but the block is usually the first to go. Look around the core plugs.
    The way the metal is pushed out I'm not sure that anything short of welding will make a good repair.