Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs *** 1961 Cadillac CDV Kustom build ***

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Ian Berky, Feb 11, 2011.

1. estes

estes

I think the stock caps look killer!

2. sanfordsotherson

sanfordsotherson
    from So. Cal.

I think the Cad Sabre wheels would be THEE wheel for this car.

A close second would be the Buick wire. More fitting for a late '50's early '60's flavor, over the Cad wire. And they should fit the Cad bolt pattern too.

Notice Steve Stanford uses the Buick wires in several of his renderings of this era of custom.

3. I must say the factory caps will look better damn nice, and they won't lighten the wallet nearly as much.

4. C. Montgomery

C. Montgomery

the stock ones look even better with the black off them. chrome them, and do like someone suggested, make the logo float upright all the time. that'd be cool.

5. C. Montgomery

C. Montgomery

or a small bullet in the center of these, would look good too..

6. jefferyallenvest

jefferyallenvest
    from ohio

7. leocad

leocad
    from LA, CA

the 61 caps look absolutely beautiful when they are polished out nicely to the point of it looks like chrome.

Ive said this before, but Im really surprised that they arent more commonly used.

I had a set polished out and sold them a while ago and the guy that bought them sent me a pic of them on his 62, they look sick!! I will post this pic up later when I get home today.

Ian, I have a driver cond set of Sabres that I will let go, but they will need to be redone to fit the caliber of this car. To redo these is pretty pricey, but you can come by and check them out and see what you think. I will pm you my number.

8. Bullet on the left, bubble on the right.....

[​IMG]

9. 40StudeDude

40StudeDude

LOL... I KNOW where all the sets of Sabre wheels have gone to...guy I met early this spring has over 80 sets of them...and won't sell one of them, I tried to buy two...

BTW, he also owns over 80 Cadillacs of various years beginning with 1941 and going thru the mid-60's...all of them are stockers, or restoreds and good looking drivers. Talk about hoarding...

R-

10. DamnYankeesKustoms

DamnYankeesKustoms

I love this Caddy, excellently done..... I have been watching the transformation since the beginning and I cant wait to see what has been done in each updated post..

11. Ian Berky

Ian Berky

Thanx so much for the kind words guys.... STOKED!!! :)

First off, Thank you soooooo much for the top bar, as you can see i didn't waste any time on it!!!! :D

I really like the bubble on the hubcap..... :)

That guy makes me sick!!!!! :mad:
    It's something to collect cool stuff and car parts, but hogging the same part is pretty much digusting to me... and i'm sure i'm not the only one!!!!!:mad:

LeoCad, is hooking me up with a decent set of Sabres, gonna pick them up tomorrow to take to the chrome guy to see how much i am looking at, :eek:
    i KNOW it's not gonna be cheap, but i'm curious.... we'll see!!!!????

12. Dude, you NEED those Sabres.....even if you have to cheap out and powder coat 'em....they are the next best(only?) alternative to wires, and your car has so much cool goin'on....wheels can make or break a great car;)

13. Ian Berky

Ian Berky

Finished the rear bumper ... for now.... There's one more thing to be done!! :)

And did some cutting and trimming so i can complete the rear and trunk... hopefully by friday it'll be ready for a kustom grille!!! :cool:

Got a better gap after cutting the overlapped metal on that side and like LAZYV8 suggested i went and got a bigger tig rod, worked great!!!! Thanx!!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Not the best, but i'm trying!!!!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Welded the license plate mount back in it's new location

[​IMG][​IMG]

Cut the shit that's in the way to rebuild the rear area

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And cut the shape of the new trunk opening .

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

That's all for today!!!! :)

Last edited: Aug 8, 2011
  14. jefferyallenvest

jefferyallenvest
    from ohio

i like the cad, the trunk is tops , in my book,cool ideal ,what color are you going to paint it, i do that to my 69 catalina ,the whole trunk is rotten out ,cool the way you did every thing the fins are coolest ,

15. leocad

leocad
    from LA, CA

61 caps polished out

Attached Files:

16. DUDE! that pancake trunk is the stuff jack! man you got a set of brass knockers. keep on keepin' on!

BTW i have a pretty fantastic chrome and polish guy. hit me up if needed.

17. They´re alloy aren´t they? Surely a good mirror polish would be cheaper. Chromed alloy doesn´t always seem to last very long either.

18. dustdevil

dustdevil
    from illinois

I really have no clue how I missed this one! It is awesome!! I definitely dig all the subtle changes. Very impressive. You have some great skills that you should be passing on to others. Keep up the outstanding work. Can't wait to see more progress.

19. ryno

ryno

what about some tru spokes?
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

20. Ian Berky

Ian Berky

WHAT?????? So beautiful man!!!!! INSANE CAP!!

HAHAHA!!! Thank you mitch!!!! I need a chromer who's gonna give me some kinda package deal man.....:eek:...... So many big pieces and trim and......wheels and..................Jeez!!!!

Thanx a million for the kind words guys!!!! ^^^^^^^^^^^^ WOW!!!! Made my morning!!!!! :)

21. 61Cadillac60special

61Cadillac60special

1964 - 66 Thunderbirds had an unusual speedo in them, might want to check that out.

22. koolkemp

koolkemp

Really looking forward to seeing the rear grille Ian ! And I also have to say the pancake on the trunk lid is gonna be killer!!

23. I love the Cragar Starwire idea. I might also catch shit for saying this but here goes... I would also like to see a set of reveresed Cragars on that thing with some pinner whites. I think it would look cool. Maybe I'm retarded but I think it may look cool.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

24. That's really cool ! Great idea man ! Kinda gives it a lowrider look , would be sweet on a 60's cad !!

25. [QUOTE=''кυѕтσмѕ αяє кσσl'';6840150]That's really cool ! Great idea man ! Kinda gives it a lowrider look , would be sweet on a 60's cad !![/QUOTE]

I tried looking for a picture of a '60's Caddy with them online but couldn't find any. I think it would look rad on that car!

26. I still could not find any pictures of Cadillacs rocking Cragar S/S wheels. But I did manage to score these of Rik's site...
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Sorry for jacking your thread Ian. Just thought these S/S wheels would like kind of neat on your ride!

27. creepyjackalope

creepyjackalope

Cragars are one of my favorite wheels along with supremes but I dont think they are classy enough for this car. This car Ian is building is beyond a wheel you can buy new in a box today.....my .02.

28. weez

weez

Wow! I never liked those, but I never saw them polished! Pretty nice!

They were usually body color in the insets, right?

Attached Files:

29. E St Nene

E St Nene
    from Oxnard, CA

:eek: Daaammmmm bro is all i have to say killer build, you are the man keep up the bitchin work.

30. jlouie

jlouie

weez and leocad, I've done the same with my 62 caps. doesn't take long and this was the first of the four i completed. the polished caps looks so bad ass.
    [​IMG]