Register now to get rid of these ads!

Car Shows or Cruse Nites

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by retiredblue, Apr 22, 2012.

1. retiredblue

retiredblue
    from california

Is it just me, or is it something else, I seem to remember events like Viva Las Vegas or Ink n Iron was more about having fun for little cash- now it's like there are more rules and more expense in not only displaying your car, but just getting in to see these shows. Its like more trailer queens and wanna be jesse james types rather that guys who built and drive their own shit.
    maybe I,m just getting old hahaha- sorry for the rant, carry on troopers

2. Gas mask

Gas mask
    from Canada

Eh, it's what happens when a bunch of people try to one up each other over and over. A shame really, but I find local events to be more fun anyhow.

3. TxRat

TxRat

You should make the trip to Texas for the Round-Up. Been going since the beginning and its still just a great time with little hassle. The only real thing thats changed for me is the size and venue...

4. wizzard23

wizzard23

Both Suck. Let's have a Rod Run

5. Cruise Nites get my vote!

No charge... No freakin' trophy... better yet, No freakin' trophy hunters!

Usually just a good 'ol fuckin' time!

6. GassersGarage

GassersGarage

Every Friday, 3pm-7pm, through daylight savings time, Ruby's in Redondo Beach has a cruise night. The best part? It's free including parking if you have a car. 50/50 drawing, trophies and a raffle too.
    IMG_0169.jpg IMG_0180.jpg

Last edited: Apr 22, 2012
  7. jmh

jmh

Ahhh.. The good old days!!! John

8. retiredblue

retiredblue
    from california

Yup Cruse Nites for me too- I like the Bob's in Downey and the In n Out in Covina- it's like some one said- it used to be about the cars, not a freekin fashion show

9. Pontiac Slim

Pontiac Slim
    Member Emeritus

x3....not many left....
    Pontiac Slim

10. 1954Bill

1954Bill
    from Long Beach

I stop going to Ink&Iron because the price was going up evey year and now all the car shows this year have gone up 10dollars for all the car show that I when to last year!WTF

11. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

12. Mr.Musico

Mr.Musico
    from SoCal

First off I get where you guys are coming from, I will take a poker run or cruise night over a car show any day. In truth I limit myself to a couple "car shows" a year. So I get it.

You mentioned Ink and Iron- since you singled that show out I have to ask- are you kidding? $35 is too much for you? Really?

Go to a cruise night and spend maybe 2 hours, order a burger and fries, maybe some desert theres $20 bucks. For 2 hours of entertainment. Put things in perspective

13. 1954Bill

1954Bill
    from Long Beach

That's X4 =$140.00 +parking to see car that I see at cruise night. WTF

14. Mr.Musico

Mr.Musico
    from SoCal

taking a family of 4 ANYWHERE is expensive-

Last edited: Apr 23, 2012
  15. hombres ruin

hombres ruin

i dont give a crap what it costs me to show my ride,if its $35, $0 or what ever ,as long as i am having fun doing what i like to do.We arent here for that long so i am going to spend my money on what i like when i like and do every damn thing i can.

16. Terrible Tom

Terrible Tom

My vote goes to cruise nights. Too many trophy hunters and trailer queens at car shows. Also you end up sitting in the hot sun all day. Nah, cruise nights are better.
    Tom

17. ....Well said.:)

18. Billet-heads always have too much money and they always want to show off!

I don't have much money, I just want to go out with my ride and have a good time.

Screw the shows and the show offs!

19. millersgarage

millersgarage

cruise nights! We have a Burger Joint here that welcomes all the car guys on Tuesday nights. My family of 4 can eat under $20 at the Olympic Broil.

this video is from a normal week, there have been times where you can't even get into the parking lot.

Last edited: Apr 24, 2012
  20. Lurker McGurk

Lurker McGurk
    BANNED
    from next door

Here in Reno/Sparks NV we have cruise nights at the A&W in Sparks on Tues. night,
    and at the Reno location on Wed. nights. Friday nights it's Summit Racing in Sparks.
    There are eight (8) Free all day shows put on._____If it's Free, it's for Me!
    I only pay for a few select shows, which are in the $20-$35 dollar range.

21. axle

axle
    from Drag City

retiredblue,

MAYBE , Newbies like yourself should start worrying about finishing your '64 Falcons instead of complaining about the costs of particular events. It seems apparent that you don't have a clue whats going on when your other thread asks Hambers what to title your car , yet you want to criticize ?!?!? I have another idea , Why don't YOU organize and promote a large event with well known entertainment, vendors, security, close to 1000 cars, proper sound equipment, staff, etc then come back to this same thread if you still feel the same way.

22. If you have been around long enough to remember,Viva was a small show that grew and got too big to hold on the top of a parking structure. More people means more room,more security,more cost,etc. Ink-n-Iron started out as just a tattoo show then added the cars which meant more room, securitycost, also. How about Mooneyes? I remember it being held in a small parking lot. Now,it's almost out grown Irwindale. Axle is right....try doing your own show the size of Viva or Mooneys,Ink-n-Iron,THEN shoot your mouth off!

23. silversink

silversink

The only shows I will go that charge will benifit a charity or good cause----not bank accounts and ego's

24. Mr. Sinister

Mr. Sinister
    from Elkton, MD

I used to be really against pay shows, until I tried to put on a show.
    It costs a lot of money to put a show on, I can tell you. I wanted to do a benefit show for the local roller derby league with my club playing host. Insurance alone is ridiculous, and you have to have it. Then there's space rental, promoting the show, paying bands to show up, renting port-a-shitters, etc. When you break it down to how many cars need to show up just to cover expenses, and how much you need to charge per car and per spectator. Then there's the money you don't get back if you get rained out, or nobody shows up. It just wasn't going to be feasible to do my show, and I'm pretty bummed about it.
    A lot of the smaller shows are lucky to break even. I'm not for people profiting personally from these shows, but I have see both sides of the issue firsthand now. My club has hosted a few shows that charged money, but we still lost money in the end. Then there's the guys who simply refuse to pay admission, and think they should still get in. It can be a real bitch to put these things on.
    Just offering input, not criticizing anyone.

25. Jalopy Jim

Jalopy Jim

I like going to cruise nights, no trophies, no trailer queens, just car people having fun.

26. 1954Bill

1954Bill
    from Long Beach

Wow BoB so tell me how you really feel!!!anyways you made a good point
    I couldn't do a car show you right about that!!

27. retiredblue

retiredblue
    from california

Axel, I am not seeking your approval on anything- just making a comment - and as far as my car is concerned- like the sticker says"Hey dickhead it is finished" and at almost 60 years old I have turned a few wrenches but prob not as many as you though- and I am not complaining about anything- just an observation -if that is still permitted- you guys are too scary for me- so long

28. Don't let it get to you. There's a few on here like that. This is a good place with many great folks.

29. Flathead Johnny

Flathead Johnny
    from MA

i like cruise nights, shows IMO are kinda boring after a hour or so, I seem to meet a lot more people out cruising at the meet up point before or after the cruise and there is a lot more freedom and parking isnt a pain. More fun for less money = win.

30. Strange Agent

Strange Agent
    from Ponder, TX

Bigger stuff is harder to organize, that's a fact of life. There are costs involved. I don't think they're are too many (if any) shows that are put on to rake in profits. It's about covering costs.

I don't think people put on car shows as a business, it's because they love cars.