Register now to get rid of these ads!

Project Index effort for HAMB

Discussion in 'Questions & Suggestions' started by luvit, May 23, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. luvit

luvit
    from Ohio

Hey.
    i lurk a quite a bit and have so much to learn from your projects.
    Shopnut from GJ had the same idea i had so we took our ideas for me to design a Project Gallery Index for GJ.

You may already have an indexing system or have a member actively manually maintaining a HAMB Project Index.

If not, I can do the same thing as I did for GJ, but I'll need you guys to determine what 14-15 columns would be useful to collect.. and what predetermined responses you need for each column.

The HAMB community can add their own project threads, or even project threads for HAMB members that are MIA.
    It's fully automatic.

I can reproduce a similar or simpler idexing project for HAMB.
    Please view a sample from the thread on GJ. I'd like your opinion if you think this would be valuable for HAMB.
    As a FNG, I know I would actually view a HAMB Project Index a lot.

2. 58edselretractable

58edselretractable

I agree, being a FNG myself, i see threads that have the word "project" as a catagory but nowhere can I find a list of projects that are here all in one spot, or am I just missing something?

3. TexasSpeed

TexasSpeed
    from Texas

There are plenty of people who have tried to suggest the same thing. Personally, I don't see you being successful in doing so. Nothing personal but change to the forum isn't usually welcomed here.

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=519704

Here you go..

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=651453

4. luvit

luvit
    from Ohio

nah, those threads aren't anything like a systematic structured approach i'm offering.
    did either of you look at the link i provided?
    you can sort and filter similar projects based project data.

edit: the thread made by Paul is ok, but hasn't been touched for 6 months or so..

5. Hoptup Jalop

Hoptup Jalop

6. luvit

luvit
    from Ohio

yeah, cg. "build" is actually the better word compared to "project".

Thanks :) I probably spent 2 weeks on it to get it to that point.

HAMB Build Threads may want the columns to contain data pertaining to the following:

thread title, image link, owner (HAMB name), body make / model / year, chasis make / model / year, suspension make / model /year, etc / etc / etc, brief desc, city, state, country.
    all sortable / filterable.

it's data, not a story, so there would be a pic and a link to each owner's build thread to actually see the thread contents.
    but we can see if there are better ideas from actual build thread owners.

Last edited: May 24, 2012
  7. xxzzy999

xxzzy999

Maybe a good idea Luvit....

Who maintains this index after you a long gone? How much effort is required to maintain the index say on a daily basis?

Regards,
    X

8. luvit

luvit
    from Ohio

it's automated - multiple choice can be used to eliminate typos
    maintenance is only based on cleaning-up errors in URL links. -- URL links are copied and pasted by the contributor, but there would be a few errors on URLs by fat-fingering a copy/paste..
    so the cleanup could average to be 5min/wk or 15min month.
    about duplicate entries: only the freshest entry will be visible.

9. This could be cool. We have a thread of build threads inside the shoebox group, I like checking out other people's builds... misery loves company :D

Sortable by make and year is good. Hot Rod / Custom / Race / Show might be some other options.

10. Can you explain to me why I would want to rely upon your personal Google docs account to find information on a website that you don't administer?

11. luvit

luvit
    from Ohio

yeah, each field should stay rather simple, like '50s vs 1951, 1952, 1953, etc.

Hey, man. Ryan helped me out with hooking me on some special requests to make it possible on GJ.
    You don't have to rely on it.. you don't have to use it. Just keep on doing what you'd most enjoy. Do you have a build thread?

This is probably going to be most beneficial to FNGs and any members who are considering a build.

This is not some fly-by-night solution. I'll have days and days of effort into the final product to make it self-running. -- I'd like to track build threads, too.

12. Maybe Ryan could chime in and let us know if he's good with this?

13. luvit

luvit
    from Ohio

Ryan was quite aware of the GJ Index while it was in process, and was involved with the final touch.
    I know GJ is not HAMB, and we've seen Ryan try new things and know when to put the brakes on something that is not working.

Anyone who wishes to help contribute a format of columns can begin.
    Here is a mockup for HAMB as a PDF downlaod... it's poorly portrayed, but gives you the general direction.
    Any common spec of a Build may be included.. we should keep it down to about 10 or less.. once you add common fields it totals 14 or more columns.

14. badshifter

badshifter

Maybe have a section for the ladies who keep posting on shop clothing, spiders, motivational movies and songs etc.
    For sure a dryer sheet and spray painted easter egg section.
    Even a section on what the least harsh on your skin soap to use, and what alternatives to using that cold water faucet by the garage.
    If it's not too much to ask, a section on bullet holes, spider webs, ghosts, sinister looking cars, and S-10 frame swaps.

15. ntxcustoms

ntxcustoms
    from dfw

Love the idea and I hope it works. Search function is a p.i.a. but usable.

16. Doctor Detroit

Doctor Detroit

Keyword search is your friend...

17. silent rick

silent rick

so do you want to make it mandatory to fill in a bunch of info before we're able to post a build thread or can we go on posting like we have in the past?
    what's next after that if your proposal goes through, filling out info before posting a tech question so that people who like to stay up on the tech posts won't have to search for them too?
    how about posting requirements to make viewing the friday art show easier for those who just want to see artwork with hairy monsters?
    the hamb is huge compared to the garage journal. we already have a search function that works. why complicate things?

18. Barz51

Barz51

It looks cool to me.

19. For this I will catch hell, my intent is only to voice my opinion. Why is it FNG's are always trying to change things right off the bat. Not trying to ruffle feathers only voicing my opinion.

20. badshifter

badshifter

I was going to mention that as well. I'm sure the op means well but he can't even be bothered to follow the rules on the forum he wants to change.
    The new HAMB. Go figure.

21. Agreed, the thought came to me as well.

Besides, as it was linked, Paul, a MODERATOR, already has an index going:rolleyes:

22. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

23. luvit

luvit
    from Ohio

I certainly expected such responses.
    I have not introduced a requirement, new idea, nor have i suggested a change to hamb.
    This is just a voluntary effort. Please report anyone who forces you to read a Build Index against your will -- This isn't the New HAMB movement you mention.

At this time of writing, Paul opened an index 5 months ago, and indexed 155 out of more than 220 threads between 12-10-2011 to 12-26-2011 and it stopped growing.. which is typical.
    This is nothing against Paul.. it looks great.. but it's laborious, but it also serves a different purpose than the sorting and filtering can offer.
    So Paul's solution and my solution can not be compared since they are non-competing.

I know this is not the end of of the nay-saying, but I will just seek out the support of the members who show interest.
    Please, I only wish to hear from those who do support an Automated HAMB Build Index (like this), so this thread will stay on topic.

Last edited: May 24, 2012
  24. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

Before trying to change things maybe Read This First! do an intro, fill out your profile, and be part of the community. Might get you a bit further than jumping in like this.

25. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

Hey man. Bad news. I cant run those google plugins on this forum due to some scripts I use here. Sorry.

26. luvit

luvit
    from Ohio

No worries.

27. HOTFR8

HOTFR8

Here I was going to say I hope you get the same support here you got on the GJ. Oh well, at least the GJ listing is working well. ;)

28. I think Ryan was too easy on this guy...Looked to me like he was wanting to be part of the HAMB board of directors,,,and tell Ryan how to run this place.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.