Register now to get rid of these ads!

A different kind of burnout

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by abc123, May 30, 2012.

1. abc123

abc123

Back in the mid '60s when I was about ten years old, a buddy and I were damming up water in the gutter near the bottom of a very steep street. A guy in a '55-'57 T-bird roared past going up the hill. Soon we saw the car rolling backwards down the hill. When it was a couple of car lengths away the driver revved the engine and dropped the clutch. With tire smoke billowing out, the car continued moving backward until it stopped about even with us then began inching up the hill. Eventually it got enough traction and he went zooming away up the hill.

Anybody else have any oddball experiences like that?

2. Jmountainjr

Jmountainjr
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Called laying "J" strips. 40 years ago it didn't seem so odd ball?

3. Called it candy canes around here. Lots of broken parts in those days!!!:eek::D

4. mike hohnstein

mike hohnstein
    BANNED
    from wisconsin

I see occasional evidence of such behavior in the back roads of Cheeseland to this day.

5. Thor1

Thor1
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

In Northwestern Wisconsin those were know as "reverse drops". As previously mentioned they were very rough on parts. The other technique used for this was to do a reverse burnout and then shift into drive. This was even harder on parts.

6. Talk about hard on parts. My friend just out of high school back in 51 bought a 49 buick roadmaster convert. We would take girls for a ride & with them in the back seat(for safety,theirs not ours) while cruising 60 he would slip it into reverse. They would just about pee their panties. One night while heading home out of town, we both lived on farms in the country, a 48 chrysler town & country pulls out of a side road directly in front of us while we are cruising pretty good soo ol John just pulled it into reverse & left it there while applying the binders. Needless to say that saved our skin that night. Not very long after he had to replace the dynaflo as it was toast.

7. I had a old worn out Model A in high school & to do a burnout I would back up & while going rearwards slip it into 2nd then 1fst then pop the clutch. As was posted made some nice Js.

8. Terrible Tom

Terrible Tom

So do I, Mike.:D
    Tom

9. norms30a

norms30a

we called them teardrops.

10. Beau

Beau

There's a youtube video of a guy in a newer Corvette doing a "burnout", smoke pouring out! But the tires were not spinning :)

That was a pretty odd and funny one.

11. 54Mercruiser

54Mercruiser

I used to do this in my Pinto in high school...lmao!!

12. Sweepspear

Sweepspear

Same here in the Twin Cities.

I fried more than one tranny doing the reverse to low burnouts.
    Or do figure 8's. Had a cop stop me in the wee hours one night when I was 17.
    Dale, he said. You must own stock in Goodyear or Firestone the way you burn through tires. Now go home!
    Ahh the 70's.

Last edited: May 30, 2012
  13. APACHE FS

APACHE FS

Yes! forklift on a loading dock used to do the same thing at one of my name badge jobs in High school

14. LSR 2909

LSR 2909
    from Colorado

Never heard of it!
    Would love to see someone else do it!

15. go-twichy

go-twichy
    BANNED

i once saw a lady in a left turn lane with her left blinker on, but she turned right. it really surprised me. that sort of thing?

16. Back in the early 60s we would cruise up behind someone riding a bicycle, turn the key off, floor the gas pedal and turn the key back on. The resulting backfire was guaranteed to scare the crap out of said cyclist.... :D

17. gasolinescream

gasolinescream

Hahahaha i thought that was what kill sitches on motorbikes were for:D

18. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The locals still do that on "school house hill" in Buana, Wa and probably are the third or fourth generation of guys from that area that have done it. More than one broke and rolled down the hill backwards over the years. In the 60's I was working on a house at the bottom of the hill and someone was spinning the tires up the hill about every hour.

19. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I think I caused a guy to crap his pants in the parking lot at the mini mart the other day when my truck backfired when I started it. It wasn't intentional either.

20. Blew the muffler off my dad's new 59 Ford station wagon doing that.
    He was not happy.

21. junk yard kid

junk yard kid

interesting, my buddy used to yell "watch out" or "watch out for that dog". People can really jump when they need to.

22. HellRaiser

HellRaiser
    from Podunk, NE

Do not...I repeat...do not.... buy a used car from Hertz rental cars....Those big Lincolns they rent, really do nice tear drops, or J's which ever way you did them as a kid.
    Ummmm. or at least those that were based in Lost Wages!!!!!:eek::D:D

The transmission was making noises as we turned it back in.:rolleyes:

HellRaiser

23. Back in the Great Middle West around '66, my buddies pooled our money to buy a '57 Ford more door with a 292 and three on the tree just to go drinking in on country roads. I think it cost $25. We'd get a heat on and try and do a burn out, motor revving like crazy, smoke filling up the interior through the rusted floors. Thing is the car didn't move, no rubber marks, all clutch. :D

24. Barsteel

Barsteel
    from Monroe, CT

I used to do this in my Pinto in high school...lmao!!

ME TOO!!! I thrashed that poor little 2.3L engine like a rented mule, but it never blew up. I did completely burn up the clutch, tho, and my Dad's mechanic ratted me out.

Was 16 at the time...had a lot of fun with that car...ended up junking it.

Chris

25. My first car,225 slant 6 dodge was too weak to spin the tires. Used to pull the front up on the sidewalk with the rears on the curb at high school to spin the tires. Parents couldnt figure out why I was breaking rear ends.