Register now to get rid of these ads!

Acetylene Painting, looking for pics!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by SwitchBlade327, Nov 15, 2005.

1. SwitchBlade327

SwitchBlade327

Did a search on google and came up with alot of welding supply places and gay art sites, but not what I was looking for. Anyone have any pics at all? I know how to go about doing it, just looking for examples of finished products. Anyone even know what I'm talking about?:confused:

2. I haven't seen(or done)any since about 1975.Don't even think I have any pics but I'll check a couple of paint books I have.

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  3. SwitchBlade327

SwitchBlade327

Cool, thanks. Seems like this is kind of a lost technique...

4. Bugman

Bugman

Can you run me through the basics? I've heard of it, but don't really know what it is.

5. SwitchBlade327

SwitchBlade327

Gimme yer e-mail....I'll send ya something.

6. lownslow

lownslow

sorry justin .... i have it in some books but no scanner ..... and yes it is a lost art / paint technique ... very cool looking if you ask me ....
    hey did sid moses come through for ya ?

7. SwitchBlade327

SwitchBlade327

Did you get the last pm I sent ya with the link on where to buy the tape online? All Sid has is chrome stamping tape, which I'm not sure about. He's gonna send me some samples when I order my flake though. I'll shoot ya a pm and tell you what I'm trying to figure out here.....

8. Tha Driver

Tha Driver
    BANNED
    from S.E. USA

My ZX has it. I didn't take much time with it, though, so it looks like crap. It was, after all, just an old ZX that I peiced together out of two that were in a friend's pasture. http://angelonearth.net/carparts/ They're lousy pics, too. Ignore the parts & scroll to the bottom. Also ignore the email links they don't work at this time... :rolleyes:
    ~ Paul
    aka "Tha Driver"

If guns cause crime, all of mine are defective.

9. Tha Driver

Tha Driver
    BANNED
    from S.E. USA

Basicly you use a cutting torch, light just the gas to get it to smoke, & use the oxg. blaster to puff it towards the surface. Takes some practice to get it to lay a nice pattern.
    ~ Paul
    aka "Tha Driver"

America - made in China! :mad:

10. Django

Django
    from Chicago

Two weeks ago Discovery reran the Biker Build Off between Billy Lane and Amen and the Amen bike was painted like that. I had never seen that before and it looked really cool.

11. SwitchBlade327

SwitchBlade327

Guess I'll have to look for pictures of that bike then!

12. Corn Fed

Corn Fed

My Dad's old 33 tudor had the smoke done to the dash and window moldings. Looked real cool. It was done in '78 or '79. I saw the car a couple of years ago in Minnesota, and it still had it then. I'm gonna try my hand at it someday.

13. burndup

burndup
    from Norco, CA

Soooo, then you clear or candy over it?

How do you mask it? Wont paper and tape burn up?

14. alchemy

alchemy

You never get any heat on the part, you just slowly wisk the torch near the part so the soot lands on the surface. You need to clear it with VERY low pressure on the first coat so you don't blow any soot off.

If it is done over a brown base (like Corn Fed and my Dad's) it fools alot of people who think it's a burl type woodgrain.

I want to try it someday too.

15. 29 sedanman

29 sedanman
    from Indy

Robert Pradke (spelling) was the guy who painted the Amen bike on discovery channel biker build off. He is the same guy that painted the Indian Larry bikes. He usually has an add in the Ol Skool Rodz mag.

16. DanCollins

DanCollins

my friend just had this done to the dash in his 48 buick fastback, I guess it was done like that when he got it, but he restored the dash and had it re-done. All I know is everyone who saw it at the primer nationals thought it was cow spots......?

17. Deuce Rails

Deuce Rails

So... Where are the pictures?

18. 4-pot

4-pot

I did the dash and window mldgs. on a couple of cars in the late 50s or early 60s. Just used white enamel, painted each part one at a time, and lightly blow the black smoke onto the wet paint. Never did clear them. seemed to hold up fairly well, but then I never kept cars very long back then.

19. Deuce Rails

Deuce Rails

I try to keep acetylene soot off of stuff. Especially those little greasy floaters you get when you don't have enough pressure.

I'd still like to see some better pictures.

20. KATFISH

KATFISH

If you watched "RIDES" last night on TV they show the technique being applied to the Miller Welding blue 29 Ford roadster pickup

21. Tha Driver

Tha Driver
    BANNED
    from S.E. USA

OK I finaly found time to find & scan the pics of my Sporty tank. One side has flames from a graphical dragon head, on the other side he's quit blowing fire & there's smoke. They're poor pics taken with a polaroid.... In the closeup I've added some contrast.
    ~ Paul
    aka "Tha Driver"

America - made in China! :-(

Attached Files:

22. MercMan1951

MercMan1951

So, I'm assuming, you hit fresh (glossy) paint with Oxy "soot" to get it to stick, and then clear over it? I can't imagine this technique working with 2 stage paints where the basecoat dries flat and quick before topcoating with clear.

I've heard of it before but never seen it done.

Mercman1951

23. Tha Driver

Tha Driver
    BANNED
    from S.E. USA

Naw; it's on basecoat on my sporty. Works fine that way & you just clear over it. And if you don't like it before you clear, you can usually wash it off & try again. The trick is to get a nice looking pattern & not just a black spot/blob. As I said before, I use a cutting torch & light the gas on low, then use the Oxy blaster to blow it onto the surface. As with all trick painting, try a test panel first.
    ~ Paul
    aka "Tha Driver"

America - made in China! :-(

24. Deuce Rails

Deuce Rails

Gay art??? What search terms were you using? :)

25. Deuce Rails

Deuce Rails

Sorry for bumping such an old post.

I want to try painting with smoke without the greasy stuff acetylene puts out.

Any tips since 2005?

26. GEEZZER

GEEZZER

That was popular back in the 50's on dashboards. it was called smoking the dash.

27. echnidna

echnidna
    from Australia

Way back in the olden days when this technique had some following I wanted to try it but didn't have an oxy/acetylene set.

I was able to get very similar results from the black sooty smoke off a white candle (candle was about an inch dia). I smoke patterned various things and cleared over the top. Looked the same as the photos of the acetylene smoke jobs in Hot rod mags.

Hope this helps someone

28. norms30a

norms30a

Do a search on the hamb for......(Smoked dash? Lets see yours)....

29. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

Saw a LOT of it around here in the seventies, giving this another bump, just to see what turns up. Always liked it under candy. Works especially well under blues and purples.

30. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

I remember a few cars back in the 50's with white dashboards that had black smoke stripes on them. They were very cool but this seems to be one old time trick that isn't done much any more. The way I remember it you got the white paint in an almost dry but somewhat sticky state, passed a smoking torch over it in the pattern you wanted, then when it was dry you cleared over it to protect it from smudging. It almost gave a marbling effect to the dash.

Not sure why it fell out of favor, but you hardly ever see one now.

Don