Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods What heater is in YOUR hot rod?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 4 pedals, Sep 26, 2012.

1. Her name is Jeanne....

2. Don Martin

Don Martin
    from West Tenn

I order the one speedway motors sells. It's in my 39 pickup WORKS great. It's small and ez to mount. Around 150 bucks.

3. Attached Files:

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  4. I haven't had a car that tthe heater was functional in a very long time, if it funcions enough the keep the windshield d thawed it is doing good.

This year in my willys pickup I have a stude defroster unit, it has a helluva fan excposed coils and the cab is small. I am in the process of buying new flip flops and some Jams for cruisin. I may even get myself a spray tan. :D

5. Ester Eddie

Ester Eddie
    from Alaska

Gets 45 below up here ...A heater is a must.

6. 36DodgeRam

36DodgeRam

I have the heater from Southern Rods also. Not near as nice looking as an old Arvin, but works great, and tucks away out of site in my '40 Coupe.

7. PeteFromTexas

PeteFromTexas

Stewart Warner Southwinds heater. Going to convert it to water with a small heater core. It's going in my roadster to keep warm under the tonneau cover when the time comes. ImageUploadedByTJJ1348764792.758312.jpg ImageUploadedByTJJ1348764818.273591.jpg ImageUploadedByTJJ1348764833.653675.jpg

Posted from the TJJ App for iPhone & iPad

8. Larry W

Larry W
    from kansas

Vintage air in the 35, Happy. Exhaust pipes and engine heat in the 40 pickup, not happy. I'm a pussy!

9. Canuck

Canuck

Get a heater from a 64 Chevelle, motors and replacment cores are still available for reasonable cost if required. Work with the stock dash controls. Good heat in cold weather, down to -30 F. Their only poor feature is the defrost feature, doesn't work as good as a lot of other cars coming up through those two squares of louvers in the dash but shouldn't be a problem in your climate.

Simple clean solution from readily available components that fit.

How do I know, quite a few years driving a 64 Malibu in Canadian winters.:(

Canuck

10. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

Mine's a .45 ACP

11. Go get some concrete pills and harden up real hotrods don't have heaters

12. 20 year old guys don't get cold,,old guys like me do! :D HRP

chryslerfan55 and seadog like this.
  13. aerocolor

aerocolor
    from dayton

part#841h

14. nochop

nochop
    from norcal

Nor Cal .......SBC

15. VoodooTwin

VoodooTwin
    from Noo Yawk

Mine's a SBC and an uninsulated firewall, with a few holes in it. Toasty is as toasty does.

16. No AC either, and was out in it all day in our ice breezy 120+ degree days, too. :D

Yea, we have great weather (compared) in the winter, but 120+ degree weather in summer is hot no matter how it is "heat indexed". I wear gloves to drive my T in summer more than winter.

FYI, I still dont have a heater when I drive my T truck to the Snow Bowl to go skiing. :cool:

17. Midget25

Midget25

Heater, on-roll up the windows, A/C on, roll em down..........................

18. Last year had just bought my '61 Falcon. Learned a few things:
    1) Old heater cores have a LOT of rad sealant in 'em.
    2) 180º thermostats don't cut it.
    3) new core and 195º thermostat, and I cannot use the heater on full for more than a mile before I overheat my self!! :)

Cosmo

19. DrJ

DrJ

My '40 GMC has a '39-'40 "Chevrolet Deluxe heater" in my '40 GMC it was obviously added because the installer punched holes in the firewall in a rando place other than the semi-punched /marked factory holes t were in it. I moved it to the factory holes and welded up the "custom" holes.
    It's circular radiator with a 6 volt fan wired and soldered into the middle of it.
    I have kept it alive by NEVER running the Pep boys heater switch on "high."
    I assume the second position drops the current to 6 volts or close to it, so I've been ok for a couple of decades with it. Whats important is these old heater elements were designed to have ABSOLUTELY NO PRESSURE on them so don't run more than 7 pounds on a pressure sustem as I hve
    and you might get the life I have.
    My radiator man said "I can fart 7 pounds".
    This has been twenty years now and the engine still runs as cool as a field pump engine (you farmers know what that is ) and the heater still kicks out heat when I want it and doesnt leak, yet.

Last edited: Sep 27, 2012
  20. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I was going to say that a couple of my friends here locally have heaters out of small Japanese cars or pickups. I don't remember what they are/were out of but they are fairly small self contained under dash units that kick out some real heat and don't take up much space.

21. DrJ

DrJ

All you need is a heater core, and a fan and and a case to put it in that is compatible with the space you have.
    I drove more British sports car roadsters with the tops down than I can remember year long to know that if you have a good heater you can survive the winters with the top down the entire time as long as you have a good heater and a good wool blanket to keep the heat in on your legs

22. If you do a search there are several really good heater threads showing rebuilds and conversions

23. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Love that 9 out of ten people talking about there heaters live in places that don't realy get cold enough for people in this area to even bother turning the heat on.

Maybe when giving referrals they should state temps tested in?

And to Mr. Real hotrods don't have heaters. Some of us like to drive our old cars when it's cold out. A few years ago with wind chill we had weeks straight of -60f temps. You don't have a heater in your car you pretty fucked.

24. propwash

propwash
    from Las Vegas

"we don' need no stinkin' heaters"

25. Also check out the seat heaters. One pad for the seat and another for the seat back. Used a S10 seat cut down and installed the heat pads under the seat covers. Put a set in our roadster... Check Speedway...

26. 4 pedals

4 pedals
    from Nor Cal

Stock heater isn't going to work for me. My car originally had a/c, which was non functional when I got it, and the heater was stuck on in the summer in San Diego. Being a stupid kid, I pulled the whole unit and made an aluminum panel to cover it. Later when I had the engine out I did a proper filling of the firewall (was gonna be a race car don'tcha know.) Now I just need something functional and simple. I don't want much, just decent heat, and the ability to hook up my defrosters. When I say I'm in NorCal, I mean on the coast WAAYYY up north, another 6 hrs drive past the bay area. Clear winter mornings are in the 20s, and we see alot of rain.

Devin

27. jazz1

jazz1

The stock heater in my '41 K1 works great,,although I don't drive the truck often during winter I do like to go out for a cruise when the temperature dips below -20 and the air is dry. My hotrods have always been ready to go year round in case the daily driver breaks down.

28. Heater ?? Heater??? Don't need no stinkin heater!!!

29. fatkoop

fatkoop

Anyone know where to find a 12v motor for my '40 heater? I've searched a lot of places and they don't quite fit.