Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Gene (Moonlighter) Cromer's A/G Willys Resurrection

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Quain Stott, Aug 31, 2012.

1. edweird

edweird

you should recieve it thursday.

2. violet springs

violet springs

3. Quain Stott

Quain Stott

I knew that I had a little place that was cracked in the drivers door around the latch area when I started grinding out the bad place I thought it would never end, this is what was left when I finished. Just when you think your about done with fiberglass work.[​IMG]

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  4. Quain Stott

Quain Stott

I didn't know that the steering column was closed in on the sides until a few days ago when Gene and I was talking about finishing up the inside of the car. Now that I have started making the panels I think it's going to look better this way anyhow. Here is a sneak peak at what it's going to look like, the gauges and switches will mount in the top panel when finished.[​IMG]

Mtn Goat and kidcampbell71 like this.
  5. Gene Cromer

Gene Cromer
    Member Emeritus

Ed, I got the picture and it looks very good, nice work. Thanks a lot - Gene

6. edweird

edweird

Thank you sir

Mtn Goat likes this.
  7. OK,Edward,,Gene has the picture,,are you gonna share or is it a big secret? HRP

8. Brad54

Brad54
    from Atl Ga

Hey Quain, even if the car isn't done in time to run at The Gear Jam, bring it unfinished to display... people would LOVE to see this car.
    I've always been a huge fan of unfinished cars being displayed at shows, and I know I'm not alone.

-Brad

9. chevydeucewagon

chevydeucewagon

Hey Brad you need to cruise with us up to Quains tomorrow and eyeball it in person! It is COOL!

10. edweird

edweird

i changed it up a little bit after i took this pic.hope he uses it for his t-shirts.:D

Attached Files:

11. AHotRod

AHotRod

Ed, what a great job brother, I'd love to see that as a T-shirt.

12. great picture. You are quite talented. That would make a super shirt

13. captainjunk#2

captainjunk#2

that would look very cool as a shirt , id wear one

14. Von Hartmann

Von Hartmann

Fantastic work! This car is looking better by the day

15. Frank Taylor

Frank Taylor
    from Iva, SC

I just found this site today and I want to thank Quain Stott for doing this to help Gene get the Moonlighter restored. I have known Gene for a lot of years and he is definately a fine gentleman. I have a couple of pictures that you guys might like. The interior pic shows the accelerator pedal, it is large and has a loop at the top to pull it back if it sticks. Also notice the mustang has a top. Gene if you see this, share the story about the top.

Attached Files:

16. Quain Stott

Quain Stott

The first phase of this rebuild is complete it's 2:30 in the morning and I guess this will be the last pic's that I post until it gets back from Chris Harper's shop for paint and final body work. If you look back to about page 7 that's where I posted the first pic on the start of the rebuild. That's was November 23 I have worked an average of 10 hours a day 7 days a week ( look at the times on a lot of the post long days) except for about 6 days off. The best I can tell that's over 600 hours but I'm still sad that I'm done. I can't wait until Chris Harper gets done to see what my work looks like with paint on it.Here's a few pic of the finished product.[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 13, 2019
  17. Quain Stott

Quain Stott

18. Quain Stott

Quain Stott

This is the view that most people that Gene raced saw.[​IMG]

19. Quain Stott

Quain Stott

20. Quain Stott

Quain Stott

21. Lee_ATx

Lee_ATx
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Thanks for posting all the pics of the rebuild Quain. It's been really enjoyable to watch the car come together!

22. delray57

delray57

Quain, Wonderful work and fantastic dedication! I have looked forward to your updates every day. Hope to see the Moonlighter in person in the future. I wish I were able to attend the preview at your shop today.

23. chevydeucewagon

chevydeucewagon

WOW, great photos Frank! Thanks for sharing.

Quain, I'm sad to see it go as well. It's sorta become a staple at the shop, and we are all anxious to see it fininshed with Gene at the wheel again.
    Your hard work and dedication have been second to none. I know this work ethic is normal for you, but I also know that this has been a very special project. Thanks for putting it out there for everyone to enjoy!

Daron

[​IMG]

24. Baileysgassers

Baileysgassers
    from Nc

Awesome work Ed

25. LZ

LZ

Quain and Gene:
    Thank you for taking the time to post all this. Very nice to see.:cool:

Gene congrats and hope I can see you at the track someday. Cant believe you have TP and cammer parts to go in her. Niiiiiiiiiiice.
    Luke

26. landseaandair

landseaandair
    from phoenix

Love this pic. Has a Norman Rockwellesque vibe to it. Quain, you do some nice work.

27. Quain Stott

Quain Stott

Cromer brought the front end so we could stick it on for pic's. Here she is loaded up for the hour and 1/2 trip home. It was hard for me to see it go but I know she's in good hands. It's been a good day Melvin came with Gene he was the one that went with Gene to most of the races. Darren Gray has a surprise for every body he made a video of us pushing Gene down the road in front of my shop for his first ride in the Moonlighter in over 40 years he's going to post it as soon as he can. Here she is loaded up for the trip. [​IMG]

28. Quain Stott

Quain Stott

Another angle[​IMG]

29. Quain Stott

Quain Stott

Headed down the road(I got a tear while taking this pic) with Gene driving and Melvin riding shotgun just like it was in the old days, don't you know these two can tell some good stories. This is the same trailer used in the later 60s the only change is the railing on the sides and wheels.[​IMG]

Mtn Goat likes this.
  30. I bet it was hard to watch the car leave,,you have spent a lot of time with that car and know it intimately.

I love seeing the car on the trailer,,The last time I saw Melvin was at J Ed's BBQ. HRP