Register now to get rid of these ads!

recommendations for a '55 chevy steering column

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Tuske427, Mar 27, 2013.

1. Tuske427

Tuske427

I need a steering column for my '55 chevy. My local wrecking yards are having a 50% sale this weekend and I'd like to take advantage of it. I'm thinking the following:

- must be '67 or newer (collapsible shaft for safety)
    - preferably no column shift
    - preferably no key switch on column.
    - preferably a GM column as most wiring kits seem to use a GM switch.

I know could just call Flaming River or Ididit, but I'd like to take a stab at retrofitting a column from the yard first. Any suggestions on one that might fit, or am I making too much work for myself?

I'll be adding a gasser style leaf spring front (from a '57 chevy truck), so I'm not worried about alignment to the stock steering box.

Thanks!

2. 1968-1972 Chevy pickup

3. rpol7966

rpol7966

About the only way you can have a collapsible column in a '55 is to use a GM column out of a '67-'68 fullsize GM car. The joint between the column and sector is really close to the firewall on a Tri-Five. I have used mid '70s van columns but they are solid shaft.
    It's going to be a challenge to find and modify a collapsible column.

4. GassersGarage

GassersGarage

And not look goofy. :rolleyes:

5. Some of the early 60's passenger cars had a small dia Col. Also. Getting one without the shifter on the col.. Would be a problem. Cut off and fill. You need one as close to your stock dia so it will fit the cluster.

6. 73super

73super

Collapsible for safety?... Really? Yes, I agree.. just stick a Chevy pickup column in there and call it good.

7. badshifter

badshifter

I recommend a stock 1955 Chevy column. It meets all of your requirements. Except the safety aspect which is somewhat funny.

8. SuRfAcE_RuSt

SuRfAcE_RuSt

Your building a gasser and you're worried about safety? HA
    I absolutely hate when people stick later model tilt columns in a tri five. They look like shittt. GO STOCK

9. ssffnomad

ssffnomad

10. Or you could come buy mine from my '57 momad for $50.00 and stay stock.

11. Tuske427

Tuske427

Chevy truck it is... Thanks!

12. I used an early 70s chevy van non-tilt column in my 50 delivery. It had no ignition switch, I filled the shift lever hole and the column's diameter was so close to the original chevy's column, I only had to file the original column drop to make it fit.

13. Your gonna be sorry, it's gonna look hacked.

14. Tuske427

Tuske427

Why is it going to look hacked? why would I want to keep a solid shaft that is a potential spear pointing into my lungs? What am I missing here? If I wanted it stock I'd RESTORE the car and go hang with the old fogies who sit in lawn chairs and display cry baby dolls and Coca-Cola decor at car shows...

15. Pete Van Hoon

Pete Van Hoon

Try rope steer. For automatics only.

16. you bet Tuske, you bet. unsubscribe ................

17. SuRfAcE_RuSt

SuRfAcE_RuSt

Actually those are the people who use late model columns :D
    Don't forget the $500 billet steering wheel

ANYWHO gewd luck on yer build

Last edited: Mar 29, 2013
  18. JEM

JEM

The problem you're facing is that the '55 is rear-steer and the column is quite short. Collapsible shafts need ROOM to collapse. So you don't have a lot of options, especially since the no-key-on-the-column pretty much limits you to a very narrow range of years between the introduction of collapsible columns and the legal mandate for steering locks.

Lots of early collapsible columns had problems with play and shake, and you need to consider that any junkyard part you might find that meets your criteria is going to have fifty years of wear on it.

19. Tuske427

Tuske427

This is a good reply, thank you, JEM, for taking the time... All I was looking for out of this post was information. information like this as I knew my potential choices were limited, and actual selection even more so. If it doesn't work out then no big deal I can use a solid/ original shaft. I just would prefer not to.

20. Jay Tyrrell

Jay Tyrrell

agreed!