Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Late 60's Vintage Modified

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Shaun1162, Jun 12, 2012.

1. 50dodge4x4

50dodge4x4

Heck, go for the 283. Leave the 2bbl on it, your running an air filter and that will cover it up and hide it a bit.
    As far as gas mileage, the best thing you can do is change the gear ratio, or add an over drive trans. There is not a motor made that is going to get good mileage with the gears you have, unless you intend on cruising at 40-50 mph all the time. Gene

2. Shaun1162

Shaun1162

Anyone notice a change??

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Been a while since I painted a vehicle (or at least the actualy body that you can see)... Think the last time was when I was 17 and had a borken wrist!

Came out pretty good actually... Just went with a simple Alkyd Enamel, in Case/IH red (afterall, I wanted to keep with the "built out in the barn" heritage!). Couple runs in it, mostly on the bottom of the drivers door which I wasn't too happy about- but once it's on, has numbers, etc. I don't think it'll be noticeable. The black roof should be done this week some time!

3. Looks good, I have been following your thread for a model A I am building along the same purpose as yours.

Sent from my DROID device using the TJJ mobile app

4. 4444Design

4444Design

can't wait to see that thing after assy

the red is bitchin' cool

5. Shaun1162

Shaun1162

Thanks! Would love to see pictures of your A!

Thanks! The flash makes the red look a little brighter then it is, but I think it'll still stand out pretty good in the sun..

6. ANDEREGG TRIBUTE

ANDEREGG TRIBUTE
    from Bordertown

Awesome job Shaun!!!!
    Nothing like a Red Race Car!!!!!
    [​IMG]

:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

7. MATACONCEPTS

MATACONCEPTS
    BANNED

First time I've seen it. I get it. Cool Car.

Idea: Get 2 skinny/narrow radiators & wedge them like a 33/34 grille, flathead v8 has 4 ports

8. Shaun1162

Shaun1162

Well, today was a pretty good day.

After about a year of asking around, making phone calls, and exchanging letter, I was greeted with this in the mail today:

[​IMG]

Was pretty excited when I opened that letter up :)

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 27, 2013
    cactus1 likes this.
  9. ANDEREGG TRIBUTE

ANDEREGG TRIBUTE
    from Bordertown

awesome!!!!!!!

Great news Shaun, finding and acquiring stuff like that is the best

10. Shaun1162

Shaun1162

It was definately nice to finally get some pictures of it from back then!

I think this photo was from 1971- when the guy in the picture first started driving it.

He told his daughter that he didn't try too hard to get out in front, because he didn't want to damage his "pride and joy".... It was certainly a sharp car for back in the day!

You can just barely make out the left water pump of an 8BA from the photo, and can also see that it probably had the tri-power intake on it as well- judging by how far forward the carbs look under the plastic.

Kind of making me re-think the 283....

If only I could pick up a 3x2 flathead intake for reasonable, that would seal the deal for sure on keeping the flatty...

11. Trophydash

Trophydash
    from Tulsa, OK

WOW! All the pieces have come togather!
    Good job on the restoration and racing archeology!

12. ANDEREGG TRIBUTE

ANDEREGG TRIBUTE
    from Bordertown

....and sometimes they create just as many as they answer....I hate that when that happens. :D

13. Shaun1162

Shaun1162

:)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Really should have waited another day or two to paint the top, but I think we all know how that goes.... Unfortunately there are a few spots where the tape left marks in the paint. Hopefully I might be able to wet sand it, or perhaps use rubbing compound and some wax to help hide it, but oh well- live and learn. I certainly don't think they would have cared that much when they painted it in the first place!

14. Shaun1162

Shaun1162

Thanks! Sounds like an interesting idea... But how would I be able to connect the radiators together??

Thanks Trophydash! Seems like the past week has been one of the biggest yet!

You're both right! One of the biggest things that has caught my attention is the rear end! I was under the impression that it was changed by the first driver/original builder, but it certainly looks like a stock banjo rear is in there... Can also see the split wishbones from the axle to go directly where the old mounts were on the frame... Guess that answered that question!

Seeing as how the body had never been removed since it was built (or as best as I can tell- they would have had to cut off and re-weld those side rails) they managed to build that homemade 2 link suspension with the body still on it!

15. MATACONCEPTS

MATACONCEPTS
    BANNED

Do you have to connect them together?

16. bgaro

bgaro

i have some wide five rims like the ones pictured on the rear. original ford centers welded to 15 inch hoops. pm if you want 'em.

17. Shaun1162

Shaun1162

I guess that true, wouldn't need to connect them... Each side would have it's own. Perhaps a project for the future...

I'll keep that in mind, and might send you off a PM... Not sure if I have a use for them or not though

18. Tnomoldw

Tnomoldw

19. Tnomoldw

Tnomoldw

:)That is the type of rear suspension NASCAR CUP cars use . Actually very simple. :D

20. Shaun1162

Shaun1162

Went to a swap meet yesterday, with hopes of finding a 3x2 intake for a reasonable price... No such luck. Found one, but it was all restored with 3 rebuilt Stromburgs, new linkages, etc. Didn't even ask the price on that :) Also found an Edmunds 4 barrel I should have picked up, but didn't really need it...

I did run into a friend (actually the one who helped get the picture of the car) and he said I should try to make my own intake. He said it was popular back in the day to take a stock intake, drill holes in it, attach black iron pipe, and then weld some flanges on top of the pipe. At first I wasn't sure, but now I'm really leaning towards giving it a try! Sounds like a neat idea... I don't plan on making it work, more just for looks, but should start a few conversations!

Found a couple pictures of some homemade intake here on the HAMB....

Attached Files:

21. Tnomoldw

Tnomoldw

:)That would be s fun project and a learning one Shaun.:cool::D

22. hotrodlarry

hotrodlarry

holy crap... this thing looks good! I didn't realize you were gonna try to make the streetable. Any chance we might see it at the Car Nutz cruise nights this summer?

oh, if you are going to have the numbers hand painted theres a guy here in Claremont that does old school hand painting/pinstriping.

23. Tnomoldw

Tnomoldw

oh, if you are going to have the numbers hand painted theres a guy here in Claremont that does old school hand painting/pinstriping.

<!-- / message -->:)Shaun is a do-it -yourselfer.. I respect that:D:cool:

24. Shaun1162

Shaun1162

I think this originally had an aftermarket aluminum intake based on what the original builder told me... He remember buying an aluminum intake, heads, and Mallory ignition set-up way up in VT close to the Canadian border... I still think a homemade one will looks neat on there though!

Thanks! Yes, figured I'd make it street legal to try and get some use out of it... There are 4 other old stock cars here, and most of them haven't been out since they were restored- But I kinda wanted to use mine a little bit more :)

Planning on going over to Car Nutz with it at least a couple times... Went last summer almost every time, drove a '69 Chevy C-30 that was painted a metallic blue/green, and has an oak flatbed on it that I restored.

Are you talking Phil Chastenay? I was thinking of having him do it... He did one car for my Dad (Donnie Ayer's number 12) and it came out nice. Heck, he might have done this one back in the day!

Actually thinking about having someone else do it... It would be a good skill to learn, but at this point I think I'd rather have a pro do it..

25. Tnomoldw

Tnomoldw

:)That's cool , I was thinking with the process of cutting a stencil 2 numbers are the same (202 right?)and you have photos of the layout ,which is 1/2 the process ,To buy some card paint, small foam brushes and foam rollers would do it up nicely. If you do have it pro done ask about a little gold leaf, maybe your name above the door tops in script .hmmm would look cool on black . I can't wait to see it. LOL ,that fellow/po of your car . I had and wore a ''Shirt Jac '' just like his. They were very comfortable.:cool::D

26. hotrodlarry

hotrodlarry

Nice...I've seen you there once or twice. I had the black 80's Camaro.

Phil does good work.Wasn't sure if you knew him or not.

27. Tnomoldw

Tnomoldw

[​IMG]Rinebeck area car see any likenesses ?

28. Shaun1162

Shaun1162

Just a quick update.... Trying to get almost everything done to the "interior" of the car before I set the body back on... Have to make a shifter, wire the car, and do some finish work/painting, then I should be able to set the body on it for good and move on to the brakes, engine, hood, etc.

Made a rear-shock set up:

[​IMG]

Parking Brake lever (Need to find something else to use as a boot!):

[​IMG]

Switch for the brake lights:

[​IMG]

29. Tnomoldw

Tnomoldw

Looking good, Shaun. It's getting close. Hang in there !:):cool::D

30. the shadow

the shadow

shaun,
    awesome built, I am glad you saved the car from the crusher and saved as much of the original car as possible.

I found my dragster in a salvage yard with a tree growing up through it,25 years ago. people thought I was nuts when I said I was gonna restore it, well I not only restored it I raced it for a bunch of years in nostalgia exhibition.
    So keep up the great work!
    Paul

Attached Files: