Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 53 Ford Ranchwagon.. Woodie

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Chaz, Jul 14, 2013.

1. I always like the fabrication portion of a project and seeing the rusty metal being replaced with the new stuff.

With you guys only having one day a week to work on the old wagon your making good progress. HRP

2. ColinCS

ColinCS

This build is going to be awesome! Really like that you are turning it into a woody wagon.

3. Are you going to use di-noc or veneer for your side panels?

4. Chaz

Chaz
    Member Emeritus

we are using a mahogany veneer with ash main slats. we"ve been trying different patterns on the side of the wagon with 2inch masking tape. it's pretty interesting to try different ideas.

5. Raven53

Raven53
    from Irwin Pa

I have a Vicky the same year doing the same thing. I hope I can get to all the stuff I have one of these days

6. mustang6147

mustang6147
    from Kent, Ohio

Love these builds !

7. I had a 52 2-dr ranch wagon as a kid ... 292 3-sp OD ... for the headliner I glued in Marlboro Hard Boxes ... Times change (cough-cough), I would advise a "woodie-type" headliner ... a lot of stuff you can do with that wagon ... this one is gonna be fun to watch.

8. The37Kid

The37Kid

I never knew you could roll beads with an English wheel, neat trick. Fun build to follow, good luck with it. Bob

9. This was new for me also,,looks like a factory piece. HRP

10. Now i wish i'd bought an english wheel instead of a bead roller. Every time i get on here i learn something new or a better way of doing it.
    I love two door wagons.This will be fun to follow.

11. I think it would be cool if you posted pictures of this. Fun to watch the different stages of a project coming together.

12. chopnchaneled

chopnchaneled
    from Buford Ga.

Chaz,,,
    Did you made your english wheel ?

13. Chaz

Chaz
    Member Emeritus

I'll post em up in a day or so, OK?

No, Its sold by Grizzly Industrial. .. It came with all the wheels. We're not very good with it yet.

14. Looking forward to seeing the ideas for the wood.

Chaz,Do you plan on cutting away part of the metal body similar to the way 49-51 Ford woodies were designed? HRP

15. This should be fun to watch. Cool idea with the E-Wheel.

16. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

Those beads in the floor looked like professional quality. I was very taken by the English Wheel trick!

17. SimonSez

SimonSez

18. Chaz

Chaz
    Member Emeritus

We tossed around several ideas. If we stop the wood at the front fender/doorline, it would look best if the top surface of the wood slats was even with the fender.
    The look we all seemed to like best was with the wood extending Onto the front fenders in a triangular shape . In this case the wood looks better standing proud of the sheetmetal.
    Here's a picture here of what we're thinking. Remember, at this point its just three old men and a roll of harbor freight masking tape....

[​IMG]

19. Will the wood also be used on the interior,Doors & headliner? HRP

20. Thanks for posting this. Really looking forward to this build

21. Toymont

Toymont
    from Montana

22. Chaz

Chaz
    Member Emeritus

We're so overwhelmed by the floors and exterior that we haven't even THOUGHT about an interior! It would be cool if there were wood inside though. Got any pics for ideas?

23. Very cool Chaz!

24. We stopped in Missoula for a visit while we a were on our way through and we're really glad we did. It's the people, more than the places, that make a trip like we just finished a memorable experience.

Visiting Strange Days Garage, really opened my eyes to the talent these guys have. I think they just take on projects to see if they can do them. And believe me, they recognize no limits.

I'm sure the "woodie wagon" will be spectacular.

BTW, Chaz, you mentioned Steve and Dana, but no word about your trusty guard rabbit Scupper. Is he not a valuable team member also?

25. Chaz

Chaz
    Member Emeritus

[​IMG]

Scupper is "Da Man"! Some people have shop dogs, we have a shop bunny... This little guy started coming around when we were building the new shop. He just sorta moved in, and lives in the shop full time. The noise doesn't bother him and he's pretty friendly . He has the run of the shop, and uses a litter box. Not bad for a wild cottontail. He's been with us for years....

We sure enjoyed dinner with you and your wife... Let her know we wish her a great recovery.

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  26. Scupper is "Da Man"! Some people have shop dogs, we have a shop bunny... This little guy started coming around when we were building the new shop. He just sorta moved in, and lives in the shop full time. The noise doesn't bother him and he's pretty friendly . He has the run of the shop, and uses a litter box. Not bad for a wild cottontail. He's been with us for years....
    [/QUOTE]

Interesting,my wife has a wild rabbit,"Jack" that lives in the house and she lets him out just like a dog and he will bump the door when he want's back in.

He is somewhat soft,, first thing he does when he comes in the house is stretches out on the air conditioner vent beside the front door.

If I'm in the shop and he is outside and the garage doors are open he is under my feet.HRP

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 30, 2013
  27. Food for thought. HRP

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  28. And something kind of simple. HRP

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

29. dirt t

dirt t
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. HAMB Old Farts' Club

Gotta watch this build!

30. Chaz .. thoughts on interior wood. I have given this some thought on doing my 59 sedan delivery. HRP posted some pretty tits pictures but I cant see the cross ribs being nothing but a headbanger ...

consider where the cross-bows would be, tacking a "hat-profile" and use that to SS screw each or every other rib to ... to give head clearance. All in light colored wood with a couple of mahogany color strips added for looks. You will still need the bulkhead at the sunvisor area as shown in HRPs pics ... laminate that also.

Match the cargo deck wood to the headliner with stainless cargo ribs

Laminate a couple of blocks of wood up with the same two-color scheme and body-grind them into arm rests "

Do the door panels in pleated boat material ... trying to avoid the "too much damn wood" look on the interior

... all just suggestions ... its gonna be fun!