Register now to get rid of these ads!

Vintage shots from days gone by!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Dog427435, Dec 18, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hudson48

hudson48

I'd be up and begging too!!!

2. hudson48

hudson48

I thought that at first but I don't think they had that many cabins and so many close together.Stayed at the Wagon Wheel in 2009 before the current owners acquired it and did it up.It was so bad back in 2009 it was funny.

3. TACOS29TUDOR

TACOS29TUDOR

some vintage pics from my hometown.

Attached Files:

4. TACOS29TUDOR

TACOS29TUDOR

and a few more from my hometown and the city I currently reside in.

Attached Files:

5. TACOS29TUDOR

TACOS29TUDOR

and the rest. the bank robbery pic was in 1931. everybody thought the Dillinger gang or ma barker was responsible for it. turns out after talking to a few hoods in Alcatraz Menomonie wi was known as the city with the crooked bridges. everyone from Capone to Dillinger and the barker gang knew about it.

Attached Files:

6. 296ardun

296ardun

Some pictures of Boyle Heights, used to live near there when I lived in California, was once a Jewish neighborhood, but for years it has been largely Hispanic...my colleague in the office across the hall was born there, so we trade stories:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Street cars still ran there in 1948

[​IMG]
    Another picture of the B-17 "Spirit of Boyle Heights" The residents there raised over $300,000 in war bonds.

[​IMG]
    Passover in Boyle Heights synagoge -- there is only one left there now.

[​IMG]
    Talmud-Torah Synagoge, opened in 1917

[​IMG]

CAPTION: A dog is sleeping on a littered dirt sidewalk next to a very old car parked on Estrada Street in Boyle Heights.

Guess they had gow jobs in Boyle Heights too...

7. Kramer

Kramer

Yep, the Japanese knew that the Pacific Northwest was prone to forest fires. Their reasoning was that if enough fires were burning, the U.S. would have to use resources to fight them, which meant less going to the war effort. The bombs (coming in on balloons) were meant to start fires, not necessarily kill anyone. What they didn't realize, was that the coastal forests were too damp to burn. I read an article a few years ago were some hikers found one of the undetonated bombs.

The hoax mainly is about a plane being the delivery system. So much information out there, too bad we can't believe it all.

8. starwalker

starwalker

[​IMG]

H. Armstrong Roberts picture. Want to see some cool pics, type his name in and look for images.

9. 296Ardun, this Gow job, must be posted on the "jalopies" thread as well. It defines the term.;)

10. 296ardun

296ardun

Great idea, I just did...

11. jcmarz

jcmarz
    from Chino, Ca

Cool photos. My parents grew up in East L.A. in the 20s,30s and 40s and they always told me that Boyle Heights was mostly Jewish and also City Terrace. My Grandfather was a Spanish Jew and he worked as a Baker at a bakery in Boyle Heights until he passed away in 1936.
    My parents also said that Japanese and Russians lived in East L.A. at that time and there's a Russian cemetery on First st.

12. six pack to go

six pack to go
    from new jersey

^^^^Love the cut down X steering wheel on the Gow job! ^^^

13. jcmarz

jcmarz
    from Chino, Ca

14. davidvillajr

davidvillajr
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

My Grandfather and Grandmother (Grandpa on the far left, Grandma in the driver's seat) with his hardtop racer:

[​IMG]

And another with Grandpa and some fellow racers:

[​IMG]

15. starwalker

starwalker

[​IMG]

Pictures from Jackson County, Kansas.
    A photograph showing Native American women working with beads in Mayetta, Kansas, part of the Works Progress Administration's crafts program. These ladies are probably members of the Pottawatomie tribe as there is a Pottawatomie Reservation just outside of town.

[​IMG]

Della Barnes and other New York Giant players' wives - Della Barnes is on the far left. Della Barnes' husband, "Zeke" and her were both from the area and are buried in Holton, Kansas. Zeke, whose real name was Virgil, was a fairly successful major league pitcher going 61-59 during the 1920's.

16. starwalker

starwalker

[​IMG]

The caption says this was the first TV in Delia, Kansas and implies it was an Admiral.

17. starwalker

starwalker

[​IMG]

Photo of unidentified man at grave of Kack-Kack, Chief of Pottawatomie Indians, southwest of Holton, northwest of Mayetta, Kansas.

18. starwalker

starwalker

[​IMG]

Jess, Charles and Virgil Barnes. Jess pitched for the Braves at the time. His record was somewhat better than Virgil's as he won 152 and lost 150. Charles tried out for the Braves, but didn't make the team. On June 26, 1924, Jess and Virgil Barnes became the first pair of brothers to oppose each other as starters in a major league game--Jess for the Braves and Virgil for the Giants.

19. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

Alternate CAPTION: Abandoned and vandalized old car used as anchor so folks wouldn't steal the dog.

Gary

20. starwalker

starwalker

[​IMG]

Holton Kansas after a snow storm.

[​IMG]

Virgil Barnes again with his car

21. starwalker

starwalker

[​IMG]

Albion, Nebraska, 1908. I think that desk is in my library now, or a reasonable facsimile thereof.

22. Schreibs

Schreibs

Medicine Hat local shots

Attached Files:

23. Schreibs

Schreibs

Medicine Hat Shamrock Fire Supplies. My Dad was best friends with Dave and Merv Jeske, the sons of Shorty Jeske, the owner. Dad also helped them out briefly, and remembers the red 56 Courier was in so many accidents, and repaired, and rusty, the road was visible between the passenger door and rocker panel at the end of its service! The Shamrock building is still in existence today, but now houses a bottle depot.

Attached Files:

24. Novadude55

Novadude55
    from CA

surf-woody-redondo-breakwater-1963-by-leroy-grannis
    california dreamin someday....
    [​IMG]

25. Chris Garner

Chris Garner

1955 Monaco Grand Prix. Team Lancia pit wall.
    Car type: D50 2.5 litre V8
    Result:
    Castelloti 2nd
    Villoresi 5th
    Chiron 6th
    Ascari retired after crashing into the barrier after the Tunnel, landing in the harbour and having to swim for it! Sadly he was killed a few days later testing in a Ferrari at Monza.
    Team Lancia were very disheartened, and coupled with the '55 Le Mans disaster, the team was disbanded and sold to Ferrari.

26. noboD

noboD

That's a 1929 Dodge Brothers DA sedan.

27. Murphy32

Murphy32
    from Minnesota

...Hillbilly Crash-helmet!

28. swi66

swi66

29. Hakro

Hakro

This picture is taken in the center of Helsinki, Finland, most probably in the late fifties. Between the dancers you can see a taxi station with two Pobedas (very popular taxicabs) and a '55 Chevy.

Last edited: Nov 25, 2013
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.