Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical 61 ford falcon

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by jray61falcon, May 25, 2014.

1. jray61falcon

jray61falcon

i have a 1961 ford falcon and I'm having trouble finding a part.
    i just bought a 2 barrel webber conversion. everything went on fine except I can't find a distributor that isn't a load-o-matic that will fit my engine I have the 170 special. if anyone can give me a part number or a year make and model car that i can use the distributor from.
    i know about the DUI distributor but i don't have the 5 hundred to drop at the moment.

2. ditchdigger

ditchdigger
    from Eugene,OR

I hate to break it to you but there isn't a factory distributor out there to do what you want. At the very least you would need to turn the distributor body down on a lathe or drill out the block, and then replace the oil pump with one that uses a 5/16" drive.

3. jray61falcon

jray61falcon

What about the pertronix igniter does it keep the vacuum advance working? I'm looking at getting one of those.

4. ditchdigger

ditchdigger
    from Eugene,OR

No. A pertronix would still leave you at the mercy of the Load-o-matic system. It is just a points replacement, not a centrifugal advance unit.

The DUI is the only drop in, centrifugal advance distributor for that motor.

5. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

Another option, but not really readily available is to look for an old Mallory double life type distributor. They made them for the early Falcon sixes up until the eighties, so although they aren't common, they aren't impossible to find. Check E-Bay, then dump a Pertronix in that and you'll feel like you have a race car. That Load-O-Matic was so awful it's impossible to describe the difference that is felt when you plug in something that works. Night and day....

gimpyshotrods likes this.
  6. elba

elba

7. jray61falcon

jray61falcon

Does anyone know if I get the mallory if I also need a performance ignition coil?

8. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I run the DUI one in mine. It made HUGE difference.

9. shivasdad

shivasdad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Texas

Not really the same, but replaced the loadamatic system on my 240 and it's so sweet now. Save your pennies and get something with a better advance system.

Post some pics. Love the early Falcons.

10. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

Well, yes. If you went the route I suggested and searched up the old Mallory and did a Pertronix then you would need the matching coil to the Pertronix.

The DUI system is readily available and they really do work beautifully, but I for one just can't stand the look of the HEI style cap they come with. I would modify a Dura-Spark unit to fit long before I did the DUI thing just for that reason. If you watch e-bay for a bit, the Mallory units aren't what you would call rare, they fit, have a great advance curve, and look like early speed parts 'cause they are.

11. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Basically, ANYTHING that has conventional centrifugal advance and vacuum advance is light-years ahead of the stock unit.

Swapping that out, alone, will feel like you added 40hp.

12. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Will make a pile-of-crap, into a maintenance-free pile-of-crap.

13. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

14. jray61falcon

jray61falcon

If I get a mallory do I need a performance ignition coil?

15. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Any good coil will work. I always go for a performance coil.

16. jray61falcon

jray61falcon

17. jray61falcon

jray61falcon

so i ordered the mallory distributor and my wait period is about 2 months because they had to make the part. 600 on the carb 400 on the distributor. but when its all done it should be running like a beast. cant wait to try it.

18. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Which carburetor did you order?