Register now to get rid of these ads!

1952 buick, special indeed, made it home.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by buickvalvenut, Aug 23, 2013.

1. BigOl'Buick

BigOl'Buick
    from Vegas

i might.. from what I understand, you can buff acrylic lacquer paint to get a real nice shine without a clear. we'll see, it's my first attempt at fully painting a car

2. LONG

LONG

how is she coming along?

3. buickvalvenut

buickvalvenut
    from Rialto

Its on hold. I bought a 53 special 4dr parts car. Ill be swapping frames since mine is a lil tweaked. The floor board from that 53 will go in the 52 and the running straight eight as well. Ill post pics of were im at later.

4. buickvalvenut

buickvalvenut
    from Rialto

Progress

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

5. buickvalvenut

buickvalvenut
    from Rialto

I've just started playing with the app for the first time,...:p (wich is why I left two post).
    Ive been taking it slow on the old girl. The 53 parts car took me a while to start taking it apart (lazy).
    Might be the fact that the exhaust manifolds are notorious for getting cracked, what was wrong with my first two. All three engines had bad manifolds:confused:..up come the adds;)
    Took me no less than a month in a half to get a serious reply, aside from that one guy trying to rip me off for $250 ...lol. right! Mama didn't raise no fool..

Some person up in Ohio asked if I was interested in a deal..what kind of deal?
    He finaly got back to me wanting to trade an intake,exhaust, carb set up...the whole set-up minus the cleaner..in exchange for some sheet metal off the 53 Special I was taking apart. I said hell no..I only need the exhaust. I had no need to pay extra shipping for unsesesary parts. I have 3 good intake cores laying around.
    At the end I shipped him a 52 4dr special 1/4 panel for a carter 2bbl, linkage rod(needed bad),exhaust manifold(nice core). Now my 3x2 set up using carters is complete.

Before I paid for the 53 wich I found 3 hrs away on Craigslist. He crancked it over and I was bought. Tho not my plan,i wanted a running mill. if it needed a rebuild I was more than up for it..it hasn't been easy finding good block.
    As of now I've only replaced the oil pump. The oil pan was cleaned to bare steel. New gasket kit is beeing installed along the process. Rebuilt carb, fuel pump and new oil filter.
    The ignition has all been replaced; new points, cap, wires, rotor, coil.
    I have a cut crank and bearing set if it comes to it, I just hope it doesnt go past that, its all the resources I have on hand..
    My goal is to get this dame back on the streets were she belongs; with them other dames:cool:
    Im pretty confident she'll run again, im hoping she was parked due to a craked exhaust, other wise I see no other purpose to had draged her out of a junk yard, oils was normal.. but oh well. Kill one;feed three. A few cars will be saved.
    All I need is to fill up the radiator, pour some oil, prime the pump and set the timing.
    On the subject of starting the engine, how do I start it with out the factory harnes?

Attached Files:

6. buickvalvenut

buickvalvenut
    from Rialto

Oh yea..I paid 80 in shipping all together. He paid 77 for his quater panel shipped via greyhound.

7. LONG

LONG

no harness at all? you will need power to the coil, starter, and battery. then jump power across to the exciter post on the solenoid.

8. buickvalvenut

buickvalvenut
    from Rialto

There is some harnest left, but its all hackedoup under the dash, so chasnces are it wont do me no good since ill have to do major work just to see how well it runs. The car its going in has a complete harness.

9. Rusty Heaps

Rusty Heaps

I have a '52 Special 45R series in rough condition on the back burner, so I'll follow along to see where you go with it.

10. jr9162

jr9162

Ah Chuy, I see you've started a thread on the Buford. She was in a hoarder's stash up near Fairbanks. My friend and his brother in law dug her out after the hoarder died. I acquired the car after the person I bought it from sold the engine and dynaflow. His plan was to clip it with a SBC and turbo 350. He decided he wanted to build something else, so I bought the car and it was towed to Anchorage. You know what my plans for it were, even bought a 53 Special 2 door HT parts car. Except for the grille, it was in as good a condition as the 52 I sold you.

Long story made short, the opportunity came to purchase the 38 Special business coupe came along and I jumped. Momma was happy as it is a running, driving vehicle. Agreement was I would sell the 52 and the 53.

The rest is history. Yes, it was last registered and titled in AK in 1957. I gave you the documentation. Both the 1957 registered owner, and his son, have gone to the happy hunting grounds. The property their home was on is now a shopping center.

So, I brought the Buford down to you, stopping in Bonneville for Speed Week last August. I had a few offers on it while there, but you'd already made a commitment to buy it, a down payment, and I made a delivery commitment.

Treat her well, she has an Idaho firefighter's sticker in the passenger quarter window, and I suspect the car has made more than one trip up and down the ALCAN. The plans you have laid out for the car pretty much follow what I was going to do with it.

The fellow I sold the 53 to lived in Palmer AK. He quit the job he had there and moved to Idaho. He in turn sold the 53, after working on it a bit, for half of what he paid me for it. I guess that's life.

I know where another 52 Special like yours is located in SC. So you never know...

Enjoy her, and keep me posted. John

Last edited: Jun 20, 2014