Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods block hugger headers

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by lan240, Apr 14, 2015.

1. lan240

lan240
    1. 37-38 Chevys

I am looking for good quality block hugger headers for the SBC in my 38 Chevy, what brand do y'all recommend?

2. 1pickup

1pickup

Chevrolet. Corvette ram horns.

3. aaggie

aaggie

I have tried the cheap ones sold by Speedway and others and several that looked good on E-bay. I even checked out the high dollar Sandersen ones but in truth the stock Chevy Ram Horns are hard to beat. They come in 2" and 2" and can be found new on E-bay for about $100 for the pair. Also, if you need steering box clearance you can try the C10 pickup units that angle to the rear.
    If you have a really tight issue look at the block huggers made by Doug Thorley. The four tubes join in a line instead of the usual square collector. Pricey but a mans gotta do what a mans gotta do.

4. If I were going to block huggers I would either spend the bucks on Thorleys or Hookers. I have run into fitment problems with the cheapos.

I too am a fan of the rams horns. Block huggers are just sheet metal exhaust manifolds anyway and GM made good HP with the rams horns. As good as you'll ever make with block huggers anyway.

5. Thorley doesn't make any Block Huggers - Don't think they ever did.

Doug's Headers DID make them but we rolled them all into the Patriot Brand

I would run Patriot's personally :)

6. Montana1

Montana1

I found some nice ones (new) at a swap meet, but I don't know what brand. They were $195. The head flange is 3/8" thick and they work well. They are ceramic coated.

I tried the Speedway ones, but they always leaked because the flange is too thin.

7. I've had real good luck with the Sanderson headers on my RPU.

8. Use the Chevy Ram Horns Manifold before you waste your money on block hugger's you will be so much happier. Besides think about it if you use a block hugger it just that much more heat on the side of you engine, there a waste of time and money in my book, but it's your ride, just my 2 cents worth.

9. Hdonlybob

Hdonlybob

Running 2 1/2" Corvette Ram Horns on my warmed up 283. Very happy with them...... :)

40fordtudor likes this.
  10. Good advice being given out here......have used both methods.......block huggers on 2 of my cars, have 70 K mi on my 29 RPU w/327 and have resprayed once w/VHT, they clean up well......also have 30 K mi on my 57 BelAir w/ceramic coating and no cleaning issues..........used factory SBC ramhorns on the 383 stroker SBC in my 65 Impala wgn as it had factory air, hence all mounts/etc were cast into exhaust manifolds so bolted right up, great performance .......recall some 45 yrs ago a local NHRA Jr Stock racer telling me that in his opinion, the ramhorn's flowed well enough that headers only gave a benefit over 4,000 rpm to a SBC.......in my case there would be little or no benefit performance wise......

11. lan240

lan240
    1. 37-38 Chevys

The only reason I was looking at Block hugger headers it that is what is currently on it and they would not require and changes to the exhaust. The ones on it now are rusting and need to be replaced.