Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Need help with 241 Hemi

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Captain Kirk, Aug 16, 2015.

1. Captain Kirk

Captain Kirk

I have a 241 Red Ram Hemi that I need some advice on getting the flywheel/torque converter removed from the engine. I have tried and tried to get the bolts from the crankshaft to the flywheel loose. I need to know, are they standard thread or reverse? I have hammered them and they only turn the crankshaft. Before I get someone to hold back up, I wanted to make sure I am turning them in the correct direction,and not just tightening them further. Thanks!!

Captain Kirk

2. I think on the Dodge hemi that the bolts have a nut on the other side. Did you take that into account when trying?

3. Captain Kirk

Captain Kirk

Yes I have. And that it what it looks like, but it will not break free. Like I said, before I hold back up, wanted to make sure. I have the 55 Cadillac that I ran into reverse threads on the drivers side wheel lugs. Could not get them loose, finally tried to tighten them a little and vroom, they loosened right up. Making sure this is not a similar situation. Really want to get this thing up on engine stand. Good news is that it is not locked up!!

4. Dak Rat

Dak Rat
    from NoDak

Yes, they are NF threaded bolts with nuts on the engine side. You have a very small window in which to get a wrench on the those nuts. If the engine doesn't turn over--you have a major headache in store. They are not reverse thread--just damn hard to get at. Been covered before on here a few times.

Hnstray likes this.
  5. Andy

Andy

Regular right hand 7/16 nuts. I put vice grips thru the starter hole and grap the ring gear.

6. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

They are right hand thread 7/16" STUDS........the nuts are 5/8".........

Ray