Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects yawn.. another 33 coupe on the road

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by smithy1, Sep 10, 2015.

1. smithy1

smithy1

Thanks 32owner!

The modern SBC center bolt valve covers drove me nuts. Can't have them on an old hot rod. I did ponder over those fake oldsmobile valve covers that they make these days but they just weren't right. So on a whim I picked up a set of 53 Studebaker valve covers. Who knew, they fit great! Replaced the studs with longer bolts (Studebaker valve covers are nearly twice as tall) and put them on. Drilled a hole on the valley side of each for a pcv valve and vent (also works for adding oil).
    [​IMG]

2. the violator

the violator

Cool story, cool car. In the very first pic I thought to myself "radius rods look good/different". Now I know why!!!!

3. smithy1

smithy1

Mocked up the engine with a "bat wing" caddy air cleaner and I think this will work out pretty well.
    [​IMG]

4. SicSpeed

SicSpeed
    from Idaho

The tractor arms look fantastic. I have always liked hairpins myself but this looks so perfect. When you get the money this car is screaming flattie or early caddy-olds

5. smithy1

smithy1

I'm really loving the tractor arms. I call this build version 1.0 and the goal was to get it on the road as a efficiently as possible. I'll bet there will be a more suitable heart is in its future!

Rear is a 10-bolt GM from a '56 chevy. 3:70 gears w/ Auburn posi. Driveshaft I had was a few inches too long. I cut it down myself and trued it up on the chassis.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 17, 2015
    loudbang and tb33anda3rd like this.
  6. Forgery ... in a good way. Soooo torch cherry red, or do you actually have a forge too ? Cool on the valve covers too.

7. smithy1

smithy1

I do have a forge but for the arms I used the BAT tool (BigAssTorch :D)

8. I have seen the tractor arms used before but like your take on them. Pretty clean. Thanks for documenting it all.

9. HelmuthBrothers

HelmuthBrothers
    from New Jersey

Awesome story and awesome car. Even better is you have the talent to build it right. Congrats.

10. Dirty30Dodge

Dirty30Dodge
    1. Upholstery

Awesome !!! Nice Work!!

11. Great story and great ideas! It is good to see somebody looking out of the box.

12. VonMoldy

VonMoldy
    from UTARRGH!

Really cool. And maybe I am alone in saying this but I don't think your dads work on the frame was bad at all! Considering what the rat rods these days show off who have access to MIG welders and much cheaper tools.

13. flyn schlosser

flyn schlosser
    from phelan, ca

14. norms30a

norms30a

Awesome build x 2

15. NoSurf

NoSurf

Very cool!!

Nice job!!!

(I too drive what was my Dad's hotrod from when he was a kid!)

What year Stude valvecovers? I might do that to the motor in my '57... edit- I see '53.

Last edited: Sep 17, 2015
  16. von Dyck

von Dyck

FWIW, I actually used the Ford tractor radius rod ball ends and sockets grafted into shortened '36 Ford passenger car radius rods (with '46 pickup center section) in my first T Bucket (1964). Worked great.

Those motor mounts were substantial! I've seen a lot less holding big V-8's in chassis to the point of being downright dangerous.

BTW, you do nice work.

17. Great story with a lot of history money can't buy.

18. Jersey Joe 67

Jersey Joe 67
    from J Town

Man that car is SAAAAAAAWEEEEEEEETTTTT!
    Love that B&W pic with tractor.

19. seatex

seatex

and VENT WINDOWS!
    Great car and story, 'scribed!

20. 51farmtruck

51farmtruck

Neat story and car. You do really nice work. Lots of ingenuity going on here.

21. Bugguts

Bugguts

NICE! I'm subscribing for the rest.

22. flamingokid

flamingokid

Cool as the other side of the pillow ;)

23. smithy1

smithy1

I did tell Dad that although all the welded on brackets (wishbones, shocks, motor mounts, etc) were hideous to look at they sure where a bitch to get off! The welds would have never come loose. I was hoping for a quick pass with a cut-off wheel and then a few whacks on a cold chisel. Nope! I grind-beat-grind-beat some more-grind some more-etc:mad:

No, no! That is not what you do with your pair of forged steel balls after castration ... :confused: Let me show you a pic of what I did with mine....:eek:
    I used them for steering stops on the king pin bolts. Welded them to a hex nut. Work great and match the radiused indent on the spindle flange.
    [​IMG]

24. smithy1

smithy1

At this point it was time to plop the body back on the chassis.
    [​IMG]

tb33anda3rd likes this.
  25. Danekejt

Danekejt
    from Pa

Great build so far. Love the fact that this was your dad's car. that is awesome. I have never heard of narrowsville pa. just outside of easton. I am not to far from you. Are you going to the goons show on sun?

26. smithy1

smithy1

narrowsville's "main st." consists of 2 houses and a closed inn, all mid-1800s stone construction, plus a half dozen stone foundation lost in the woods. Counting me and my wife, pop. 3:)

I just googled the goons show = springtown pa. Real close by. Maybe I'll show.

27. Runnin shine

Runnin shine

Man the old tractor has been getting a workout on this build. You think Henry new it would take a Ford to fix a Ford?

tb33anda3rd likes this.
  28. Malcolm

Malcolm
    from Nebraska

Great car and great story. I really like the creative thought/parts that you've put into it!

29. TBone69

TBone69
    from NJ

Awesome build/rebuild! Looking forward to updates.

30. smithy1

smithy1

one more pic before I disappear for the weekend:
    [​IMG]