Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Minimum radiator core size for sbc?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Fixxxr, Dec 8, 2015.

1. Fixxxr

Fixxxr
    from Sk, Canada

I'm looking for a cheaper alternative for a radiator for my chopped 32 grill so need something fairly short. There seem to be quite a few OEM type rads out there on places like ebay or other parts sites that would fit the size requirements. Ranger and Mazda were a couple I can recall. Is there an "ideal" or recommended core size minimum to go by for a mild 327 sbc? I know a lot of people use the '65 mustang but I think that even might be a bit on the tall side.

Last edited: Dec 8, 2015
  2. indyjps

indyjps

Since your shell is already chopped, whatever size radiator that fits in your shell.
    Use an engine driven fan, on a riser if needed with a good shroud. Mild 327 should cool pretty well.

3. Speed~On

Speed~On

We sectioned my 32 grill shell 5", so I was limited on space as well. I am running a SBC GM Crate engine with about 300 HP

Here are the dimensions of the radiator I am using:
    • 2 rows of 1" furnace brazed cores
    • TIG welded brackets
    • Internal automatic transmission cooler
    • 1-1/2" upper inlet & 1-3/4" lower outlet
    • Height: 22-1/2"
    • Width: 17-1/2" w/o brackets
    • Thickness @ Core: 2-17/64"
    • Core: 16-1/4" W x 17-1/4" T
    • Trans Cooler Ports: 1/8"-27 NPT
    • Hose Nipple on Filler Neck: 5/16" O.D.
    • Accessory Port on Lower Tank: 1/2"-14 NPT
    • passenger side lower hose (1-3/4"), driver side upper hose (1-1/2")
    Here is a link to the radiator:
    http://www.speedwaymotors.com/6-Inch-Chopped-1932-Lo-Boy-Aluminum-Radiator,7367.html

I am using a 180 degree Stant thermostat. I have 3,000 miles on the car and it has never overheated. It keeps the engine cool even on warm to hot days while sitting in traffic. The warmest temp I can remember getting the engine up to is about 195 degrees.

4. Fixxxr

Fixxxr
    from Sk, Canada

Appreciate the response, and would love one of these. Unfortunately, the budget won't allow a $400+ radiator.

5. steinauge

steinauge
    from 1960

Try Eastwood or summit.they both sell a variety of different sized aluminum radiators in the 175- 200 dollar area.I have bought two of them in the last 3 years and both work fine.

6. scrap metal 48

scrap metal 48

eBay sells cheap China aluminum radiators in shortened sizes to fit chopped 32 shells.. About $175 shipped....

7. Fixxxr

Fixxxr
    from Sk, Canada

Too tall. Need around 16"

8. scrap metal 48

scrap metal 48

Did you look at ones for a T-bucket???

9. '48IHC

'48IHC

http://m.summitracing.com/parts/gri-1-181df-axx

I'm using this radiator with my 5.3. Has a 16" spal fan and a remote transmission cooler with a 187 degree thermostat. Never gets above 195 on 100+ degree days. I paid around $200. They are supposed to handle up to 600 HP.

I see they may have discontinued it but they may have others.

10. oj

oj

The people that sell the cheap china radiators for $175 will make one for your shell, send them the shell and you'll get it properly fitted. I spoke to them and that is what I'll do if I can't save up for brass.

11. Fixxxr

Fixxxr
    from Sk, Canada

I did search that but couldn't find anything....the ones I found were all around the 22" inch mark overall, where as I need about 16-18". PM me if you found one that would work.

12. Fixxxr

Fixxxr
    from Sk, Canada

Thanks guys, lot of good input but not really what I'm looking for. Back to my original question. Is there a minimum core size that I should try and stick with in searching for a radiator? I have found a few that I 'think' would work, my concern is whether or not there will be enough of a core for adequate cooling. Is there a rule of thumb to follow on this? Anyone?

13. Isn't there a radiator website that allows searching based on dimensions (H x W x thickness) as well as OEM applications???

14. MMM1693

MMM1693
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Just call Lee at Brassworks! Tell him what you have, what you need, and he will fix you up. Plus he's an alliance vendor and straight shooter. Best damn radiator in town!

15. Fixxxr

Fixxxr
    from Sk, Canada

Custom sounds expensive, but I will check him out :)

16. Hot rods are expensive.

I guess is we knew how big the box was we could help you know what will fit in it. He is a trick that an old radiator guy told me when I was young. he said you overcome lack of surface area by using more rows, make it thicker.

Sometimes implement radiators work well, like for a smaller fork lift or farm tractor, they are compact and thick.

i.rant likes this.
  17. Phil1934

Phil1934

2000 Honda Civic 3 row is 16-1/2x14-1/2. Ebay has one w/warranty <$100. Will it cool in SK, Can? IDK

scrap metal 48 and Fixxxr like this.
  18. Fixxxr

Fixxxr
    from Sk, Canada

Ideally it would be 16"h x 20"w (overall), not core. Guess I should've stated in my original post, duh o_O

I've already decide that I'm not going to break the bank with this and it will likely be something not all that traditional. I'm okay with that. I've seen a few Jap ones that honestly don't look all that different than some of the short aluminum '32 radiators I've seen. Size wise, they work. The fact that they were built to cool a little 4 cylinder is that part that I don't know about. Even with 3 rows. That's where my minimum core size question comes in;)

19. Well if this helps at all a lot of small and even big block Chevrolets have been cooled with Volkswagon Scirocco radiators. 16X20 overall comes pretty close to a Mustang radiator. I have never seen a surface area chart for an SBC, but it won't be hard to come up with a radiator that will fit your requirements and cool your SBC.

Ok just mesasured a mustang that I have in the basement and it is close to 20 square, the 16 is height? if so you can buy a desert cooler for about 125 and have it shortened.

matt_37chevy likes this.
  20. Fixxxr

Fixxxr
    from Sk, Canada

Correct, 16 is the height. Desert cooler?...hmm, I'm not familiar with that.

21. 64.5-65 Mustang, NAPA ask for a desert cooler so they don't give you the 6 cylinder rad. its the thicker core they run between 125 and 135. All brass.

22. Don't know if this helps. Used to drag race with a guy that ran a T-bucket type car with a 396. He had some type of grille shell on it. Don't really remember factory of after market. But I do remember he used a Vega radiator and it fit pretty good. And it never got hot. Don't know if it would work on a driver though.

23. i posted that thread about the mustang radiators. they work cooling sbf they will work for sbc. about as cheap a radiator as you can get.

24. Just found, of all things a Jeep site that talks a lot about this. Their/his take is one square inch per cubic inch. Plus 20%. However, I didn't see where more or less rows changed that. I have a Walker radiator in my '40. I bet they know. They are real easy people to talk to. I fell sure they would tell you.

25. Fixxxr

Fixxxr
    from Sk, Canada

Sorry, but I think The mustangs are still too tall. I wish they did!

26. Fixxxr

Fixxxr
    from Sk, Canada

Good stuff, thanks. I'll have to check them out.

27. 38mag likes this.
  28. We used to run the stock rad in V-8 Vegas with no real problems.

In my experience most of the time cooling issues are not really radiator related. Most being the operative word here, I have had to rod out old radiators, but they are or were commonly radiator's that were not run with antifreeze and filled with branch water most of the time.

my old racing buddy built an off topic car (pinto) with an SBF that was budget built and he had no radiator and ended up using a radiator from a Toyota fork truck. It was so small that it literally stuck through the core support and we had to flash around it. Cooled the ford just fine.

Fixxxr likes this.
  29. I see this posted lots over the years. Guys build into a corner then try to find something that fits the hole as a cheap stopgap. Radiator is one of the main components that NEEDS to be purchased and used for mock-up. Not saying this to chastise the OP, but to maybe help others before it becomes an issue. We build our own from aluminum cores for the weird to fit stuff.

tb33anda3rd likes this.