Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects I get to build an Anglia gasser (build thread)

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by metalman, May 10, 2011.

1. metalman

metalman

thanks for the info. We still have the remains of the unibody frame and fenderwells, will look for them.

2. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

Looking forward to the build! VIN number should be on the original firewall I believe.

3. dragsta

dragsta
    BANNED

this is why when i go to the strip, i watch the race from the starting line.

4. Attached Files:

5. metalman

metalman

Little progress, been busy trying to finish a couple other projects.
    DSC_0107.JPG
    New frame material. I decided to go with 1/8 wall since it will have a full cage.
    DSC_0108.JPG
    Spent some time mapping the body to come up with deminsions. Found out just how off the old frame was comparing what I came up with to the old frame:eek:. Did a quick layout on the shop floor and started cutting tube.
    DSC_0110.JPG
    I always fishplate joints but I perfer internal ones, rosette welded to the insides.
    DSC_0111.JPG
    Notched & tapered the back to take a 2x2 crossmember
    DSC_0112.JPG
    Added a couple small gussets to the bottom of the kick, not so much for strenth but to give a flat for a bump stop cushen. Threaded hole is the rear axle centerline, I use them to referance square as I go now.
    DSC_0117.JPG
    Clamped both rails together while I finished welded with a heavy piece of tube between to make sure both sides are exactly the same and haven't pulled from the heat. FWIW I'm using a tig on all this, I hate weld splatter!
    DSC_0118.JPG
    Tapered & notched the front for a 2" round tube C/M, I always like that look.

volvobrynk likes this.
  6. metalman

metalman

DSC_0119.JPG
    One pair of new frame rails, ready to put on the frame table.
    DSC_0123.JPG
    After building a simple jig on my old frame table (I been haulin this heavy chunk around for 30 years!) to hold the rails square and level just had to add the front and rear C/M. This is the front, it extends a bit out from the rails and incorperates a pivit point for the planned tilt nose.
    DSC_0124.JPG
    last step for now was adding outrigers for the body mounts and cage mounting points. Since there will be a new floor I'll add a 2x2 tube along the rocker so it will pass NHRA tech but I'll add them after figure out how I'll attach them to the body. I'll leave it on the table for now till I get the rear suspension and add those crossmembers. We decided on using an Art Morrison ladder bar kit, simple but should work fine.
    Updates to follow.

volvobrynk likes this.
  7. Home Brew

Home Brew

I use inch and five eights for all my cages. Electric weld tube is plenty strong and cheaper than DOM. good luck with your project. Looks like a neat ride.

8. metalman

metalman

1 5/8 .134 wall electric weld is what I ordered for the cage.

9. metalman

metalman

Christmas came early this year! This ought to help do the cage I figure.:eek:
    DSC_0126.JPG

DSC_0127.JPG

10. rebelrat

rebelrat

Here's mine 300e van, almost finished !!
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    Almost 3 years in the making

11. Tom S. in Tn.

Tom S. in Tn.

I thought it said you were retired?
    Who you kiddin' ? Your just getting started to build cars :)
    Tom S.
    P.S. by the looks of those frame rails, you didn't start doing this yesterday either. Very nice!

12. metalman

metalman

Ha Ha, yeah, retired. I tried but...
    Actually my step son talked me out of retirement. He started helping me in the shop on my stuff and really seems to have a natural talent for this hot rod stuff. Decided he want's to do it full time, tired of construstion work. Told him I'd help him get started, give him a few years and he'll be able to run it on his own or want to do something else I figure. Then I'll try to "retire" again. Or maybe I'll keep going till I die, retirement is kinda boring;).
    No didn't start yesterday, been building hot rods professionally for 35+years. Guess you really never get tired of them.

volvobrynk likes this.
  13. metalman

metalman

Rebelrat, thanks for the pics. Yours is real close to the stance/ style I'm after. Love the panel!

14. metalman

metalman

Time for an update. Got pushed off to the side waiting on the rear suspension and me thrashing on my buddy's Pontiac so I could deliver it for his 65 birthday!
    The inner rockers were trashed where the original builder torched/ hacked the floor out so I cut that out, welded in some reinforcments and nut plates before putting new panels in. Now I have a way of bolting the body solid to the frame.
    Rear suspension is an Art Morrision ladder bar kit. Even thou this car will be street legal I went with the comp kit with solid ends and diaganal link instead of the street version with urathane ends. This short of car with this much power I don't want any flexing the soft ends can give. Install was pretty routine except the front ladder bar mounts. To get the stance we want and keeping the ladder bars level I had to build brackets to drop the C/M a couple inches below the rails. I'll add a couple tube gussets to the C/M later after I get the rest of the cross members in. Looks like a good place to add a driveshaft loop as well. The rear axle is the narrowed 61 Olds that came with the car, just took some time to rid the old brackets.
    DSC_0193.JPG
    On the front I did flip the axle to the top of the springs. Instead of torching the Speedway spring mounts off the old frame I just fabbed up new ones. I also put the shackles in the front this time. I don't know if it makes a big difference or not but it seems the factories always had the shackles in the front so must be a reason:confused: Anyone know? Flipping the axle lowered the front 5", a bunch but it will still have a nose high stance. Going to make hooking up the steering much easier as well. I set the axle with 10% neg caster, a little more then I normally do but hopefully it will make it a bit more stable at speed.
    DSC_0195.JPG
    Got the frame off the table and dropped the body back on. Made me real happy everything fit as planned:). The doors even open and shut again! Once the rear wheelwells are radiused I don't think the longer wheelbase will look too goofy. I did end up going 3" back on the rear and 1" forward on the front and ended up with 91", enough +1" to be NHRA legal.
    DSC_0197.JPG
    DSC_0198.JPG
    Time to start the cage and motor/ trans mount. Updates to follow.
    BTW, we're looking for a set of 4" wide slots (4 3/4 bolt pattern) to go with the rear wheels.

volvobrynk likes this.
  15. Not bad for an old retired guy!

16. Bar Ditch

Bar Ditch
    from Tacoma

17. metalman

metalman

Quick update. Finally got to play with the new bender and Bend-tech software. Once this old man muddled thru the computer part it works slick! Especially the software's fishmouth demensions, made that part really easy and painless and I always hated that part of the job.
    DSC_0219.JPG
    Got the cage pretty much in and tack welded. It will get a couple more bars in front but I'll put them in after I locate the motor. After the motor, transmission and a rear crossmember are in I'll pull the body off, mount the frame in a rotessorie and do the final welding.
    DSC_0230.JPG
    DSC_0229.JPG

volvobrynk likes this.
  18. metalman

metalman

After a few month delay finally been able to get back on this project. Got a little done this week, biggy is the motor/tranny is in. Fabbed up some simple tube mounts with some urathane bushings in the end. Tied the motor mounts into a roll cage upright so it won't try to twist the frame rail, seen that before.
    temp_043.JPG
    Going to be a tight fit, carbs are going to be out of the hood/ cowl. Ought to look preety wicked! Think I better make a removable panel in the firewall to service the distributor or that will be a pain.
    temp_044.JPG
    Got some seat mounts fabbed up. The seat is borrowed from another project so I haven't made the tabs to mount the seat to the frame just in case the new seats mount are a little different. Everything is working out ok, it's going to be a little cozy but that's ok. While I was there I bent & tacked in the driveshaft loop.
    temp_045.JPG
    Got the fuel cell mounted. He wanted a 16 gal street cell with the sending unit, barely fit between the shock mounts and the rear frame.
    temp_042.JPG
    About it now. I started mocking up the Vega steering box but the drag link won't clear the oil pan and the owner doesn't want to change the pan so we're looking into maybe side steer instead of cross steer. Once I get the steering box mounted and the master cylinder/ pedal mounted I think I can blow it apart and start finish welding it all.

volvobrynk likes this.
  19. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

Beautiful work! He's gotta be very happy with this version over what he had!

20. Gasserfreak

Gasserfreak
    from Yuma, AZ

Very Cool, I've always liked those later Anglia's.

21. II FUNNY

II FUNNY

This isn't getting in the way of your wagon is it? lol
    I would hate to see you miss the "MELTDOWN DRAGS".

22. Xdrag48

Xdrag48

Really looking great! The front leaf springs look good,where are they from?

Steve

23. metalman

metalman

II Funny, what wagon? I think you got me mixed up with someone else!
    Xdrag48, the front axle & springs are a Speedway kit.

24. II FUNNY

II FUNNY

Your right I just looked at the avatar not the name sorry.
    Either way the car is cool and the work looks great.

25. irlonzo

irlonzo

26. OahuEli

OahuEli
    from Hawaii

I forgot about this one. Updates?

27. volvobrynk

volvobrynk
    from Denmark

This look nice, hope it ain't dead in the water.
    You really fixed broken, and that went from bad to pretty, and you ain't done yet.

28. metalman

metalman

Wow, yeah, I forgot about this one too! Yeah, it's dead in the water, I got it all welded up and a few more things and the owner decided to leave town. I talked to him the other day, car hasn't been touched since:(.

29. volvobrynk

volvobrynk
    from Denmark

That's sad. I liked where you was heading.

Nice little cars, and you was going about it the right way.
    Any other build going on?