Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Dodge 218 flathead

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Tyler181, May 3, 2016.

1. Tyler181

Tyler181

I have a 1945 Dodge pickup with a 218 flathead. Its been sitting for years. Was rebuilt supposably once. It is really clean, but I poled off the head. checked everything out put new head gasket, and tried to fire it. Would not start, check compression in one of the cylinder, and it was at 30ish psi. I was wondering were to start. Should I pole the engine and try to rebuild it? I don't know a hole lot a bout thease. I am wanting to learn and get it running myself. I just want opinion, and options.

2. Barn Find

Barn Find
    from Missouri

When you had the head off, did you verify that nine of the valves were sticking?

3. Tyler181

Tyler181

When I didn't pay to much attention to the valves I just turned it over made sure they were all moving

4. Model A Gomez

Model A Gomez

Squirt a little oil down the low cylinder and then do a compression check, if it is a valve problem nothing will change, if it is the rings the compression will go up. Did you check for fire at the plugs, might check that and clean and reset the points if you don't have fire.

5. 73RR

73RR

You may also want to get acquainted with the crew at www.p15-d24.com

6. Try giving each cylinder a little squirt of oil and make sure that it is getting fuel and fire.

If the cylinder walls are dry either from being washed down fro pouring too much fuel into the intake or from sitting it won't have any compression. a little squirt of oil ( motor oil) will bring the compression back up. That motor didn't have much compression to start with by the way.

Fuel and fire are just basics.

7. Tyler181

Tyler181

8. Tyler181

Tyler181

I will try that to night after work I haven't tried to check for fire on the plugs yet. I just checked compression, and didn't try to check fire after that

9. arkiehotrods

arkiehotrods

10. Damn it I was going to ask for it free of charge and you had to start an auction. :D :D :D

if he was close enough I would offer to fix it free or cheap though. ;)

11. Tyler181

Tyler181

I don't plan on getting rid of it anytime soon. I've had it for a few years. now I have a place, and a change to work on it. I hope to get it running, and go from there. I am attached lol

Sent from my Nexus 6 using H.A.M.B. mobile app

12. Tyler181

Tyler181

I put a little oil in the cylinder and that jumped the compression to a bout a 115 is that a bout what it should be? Now I don't have spark does anybody have a good working diagram of how the points should be wired

Sent from my Nexus 6 using H.A.M.B. mobile app

13. Tyler181

Tyler181

14. F&J

F&J

I believe it should be positive ground if it is stock.

on the points and coil:
    -the small wire going to the points/condenser is on one side of coil, the other wire on the other side of coil goes to ignition switch.

Clean the points with file or fingernail sanding board from your wife, or whatever you have.

Then make sure they open up and close as you turn the motor.

To test the points and condenser after you clean them: Hook a test light to the wire at the coil that goes to the points, the other end of test light to good ground. With key ON, and points OPEN, the light should be ON. Then turn the motor to have the points closed completely, the light should go OUT.

If the light is always ON, with clean points, open or closed, that wire could be grounded out in distributor, or the condenser could be shorted out.

15. Latigo

Latigo

These engines are hard to hurt. If you've got fuel and fire it should run. I'd replace points and plugs. Condensers seldom go bad but it's cheap so change it too. Make sure the points are adjusted and are firing. Is the rotor in place in the distributor? Shine it up a little and check the cap for wear. Shine the contacts up as well. Still no fire? Is the coil bad? Is it getting fuel when you look in the carb and open the throttle? Maybe a shot of starter fluid to set the mood. Yes, positive ground was no doubt stock but they don't care. Easy to switch to negative ground and it will run either way. I sure wouldn't tear it down for an overhaul till you know why it's not firing. You could rebuild it and still have the same problem.

16. choptop40

choptop40
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

17. Tim Keith

Tim Keith

I believe few '45 civilian Dodge trucks were built.