Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods window tint for the 40 coupe

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by onegalonly, Jun 20, 2016.

1. onegalonly

onegalonly

going nuts here trying to decide if i should tint the windows on my coupe.. bronze tint, green tint, gray tint etc.. maybe some of you hambers can help with pics or suggestions.. i don't want real dark windows but don't think i want clear glass either

2. Depends. '50s era cars often had green or green-ish tint.

In the '60s lots of gas class cars had many different color windows, blue, gold, yellow, orange. I think that different colors made them faster or something.

I don't remember dope smoker windows before the '70s. But you said that you weren't really interested in that type of tint anyway. I do remember a car with mirror/silver widows when I was a little kid, but it was a show car and I do not know how they did that.

3. dirtcop

dirtcop

When I had my glass cut at a local shop I picked out a darker gray tint. Looks a little darker than it is in this picture, but looks better than clear to me. The glass shop had a clear and about 3 other different tint shades. Dirtcop SS850289.JPG

Paul B and lothiandon1940 like this.
  4. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

post pic of your ride - do not go for any shade that will make it too difficult to drive at night

5. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

Hah! I remember a cop with glasses like that!

6. The 39 guy

The 39 guy

I agree, it depends on the color of the car. Clear glass is just a lot hotter in the summer.I chose this light green because it complements the light blue imho. What color is your Forty?
    IMG_8783R.JPG
    Looks much darker against the white paper background.
    IMG_9169R.JPG

lothiandon1940 and 302GMC like this.
  7. okiedokie

okiedokie
    from Ok

Used gray in my black 40.

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  8. 40Standard

40Standard
    from Indy

I like the light gray tint

9. 302GMC

302GMC
    from Idaho

Find the school district's contract glass shop. The shaded, blue/green tint flat bus windshields (if still used in your neck of the woods) that get 1 rock chip have to be replaced, and if the glass guys are rodder friendly, will cut down the salvage for the car folks ....

10. onegalonly

onegalonly

the car is not painted yet but getting close... flat camo brown will be the paint color. i don't want the glass tint to stand out when looking at the car

11. The 39 guy

The 39 guy

click on the link below for some info on colors. I used this company for my glass. It may be too far west for you but the info contained on this site might be of help to you in making your decision.

http://bobsclassicautoglass.com/glass-colors

12. Me too in Mississippi. And I have proven beyond a shadow of a doubt that there is one place that you never want to be if you are a long hair and that is Jackson, Mississippi on a Saturday night. :D

If I were going totally '50s I would lean toward green like the window that @The 39 guy posted. But with a tan car I may lean toward a tan or yellow window tint.

I had a red car in '68 that I tinted the widows Rose with that spray on tint that you got from JC Whitney. it looked good to me, and I did get some compliments about it, not all of them were good but that's life I suppose. ;)