Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical *** July 2016 Banger Meet - Look for banger parts while on vacation***

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Jiminy, Jul 1, 2016.

1. waxhead

waxhead
    from West Oz

Muttley, I am also using an FSI distributor and love it.

2. waxhead

waxhead
    from West Oz

Dusty, I am also using one of the 4000 rpm Speedhut tachs that PhredH posted with my FSI distributor, works well, and easy to connect and set-up.

3. denis4x4

denis4x4
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Colorado

Engine is a May 1931 with a Brumfield Super head, a single 97, FS ignition, counterweight crank, Crower regrind and inserts. Car weights 1700 pounds. Also running 3:54 gears and a '39 transmissions. Over the winter, I switched to a Weber 32/36 two barrel progressive car and it seems to run much stronger. Did the FAST hillclimb a couple of weeks a go in Utah and went through the traps at 2200 RPM in second. Course was a 1/10th of a mile.

4. V4F

V4F
    from middle ca.

thanks . I have a weber on mine also . best move I made . glad you went ti climbs as I am a FAST member also .

5. V4F

V4F
    from middle ca.

I use a 20$ tach from napa . works well for me .

6. colinsmithson

colinsmithson

Have close look at your float level it can effect how the idle works and then clean the idle jets inside the carby they have very small holes that block easy

7. noboD

noboD

8. Checking in with a banger update... Still a long road ahead!

image.jpeg

9. RussTee

RussTee

Great mockup Cactus should be a fun project

cactus1 likes this.
  10. Dustyp489

Dustyp489

Thanks for the information on the tachs ,will chek them out

11. Far more pic-ur-tures needed!

12. moose

moose

My wife has taught me not to be positive about anything. The guy I got it from told me it was a '15. The cowl was smashed up and I replaced it with one that had "15 TR" written inside. Touring cowl? Roadster rear.

13. Thanks Steve,
    Yes, Jen. will be with me!
    We will be going to Midnight Mass party this Saturday. (Woodland) You should call or P.M. me if your going!
    I've been busy doing other stuff and don't want to remove the rear end, until I find a buyer for it so they can take a ride in the car and see that it's tight and quiet! (especially for a Quick Change, using strait cut gears!) although in gravel peppered roads or sand, both tires leave marks the same length!
    I had one of my really good talented friends hand paint my trunk! After this weekend , my buddy Gall in Anderson will hand paint my T.R.O.G. numbers on the side of my car. (530) of coarse!:cool:
    [​IMG]

14. GASSERBOB

GASSERBOB
    from USA

Your roadster really looks good. Must say. Bob......................

15. What you guys who like to run your Ford T's, A's and B's need to do is join the fun (not near as expensive or destructive to your equipment as T.R.O.G.) at next year's time trials at the Santa Margarita Ranch. Santa Margarita is a little railroad town just North (over the Cuesta Grade on 101) from San Luis Obispo California. You don't have to run on sand that is more corrosive than dipping your whole car in seawater. I've had vehicles on that sand. No matter how much and how you wash your car. The salt gets into crevice's and joints that you can't touch unless you start breaking welds and rivets. DON'T TAKE ANYTHING THAT YOU CARE FOR ON THE SAND. Check out the Time Trials:

16. Thanks Bob,
    This is what I started with before I sandblasted it!
    I'm definitely not afraid of a little sand!
    I've done a lot's of hard pack drag racing on the beach in Coos Bay with my old obsession
    (Hopped up Quads) The trick is to be in front, so you don't get sandblasted!
    My car has all new seals and will be sprayed with a special water repellent with salt neutralizing properties! It also makes cleaning a lot easier! (I wash everything the same day I get home!) I have a few cans still in my Toy hauler.
    Honestly the sand isn't as hard on the drivetrain as blacktop! I do still plan to race on the blacktop though!:cool: After T.R.O.G. I'm not going to risk breaking another crankshaft! (I don't have an extra race engine!)
    Joe
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 28, 2016
  17. Looks like a fun place but I like/miss ( racing side by side! )

18. youngrodder1929

youngrodder1929

Ill forsure have to make the trip looks like great fun !! Great clip too !

19. denis4x4

denis4x4
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Colorado

Here's some photos of cars at the FAST hillclimb in Wallsburg Utah two weeks ago image001.jpg image001.jpg image002.jpg image001.jpg image002.jpg image003.jpg image004.jpg image005.jpg image006.jpg image007.jpg image008.jpg image009.jpg image012.jpg image013.jpg image014.jpg

20. I guess by your reply that you've never run a F.A.S.T Hillclimb. For that matter any Time trial. They're actually more demanding, in that a racer has to concentrate to do everything right. It's like qualifications in my "game" which is road racing. A driver REALLY has to on his best driving. Many, if not most of the best times are turned in solo laps, quualfying RMMR2013-3.jpg . But, if you like to spin your wheels with some other guy (or gal) on the sand to get the adrenaline rush we ALL seek, go to it..That's cool too. Frankly, I don't do events that require hard, standing starts. I can't afford the mechanical carnage. My expenses are high enough.

ebtm3 and BCCHOPIT like this.
  21. You are right about that being my first hill climb race and also the first time ever racing against myself/clock! I grew up a poor kid from Shadow hills ca. and raced the illegal street races! (not so illegal in the 80's) we would hang out at the AM/PM on Sunland Blvd. and La Tuna canyon, We had many streets we would race on, side by side until about 6 am. then the cops would come and get on the loud speaker and tell us kids to go home cause the people going to work needed the street back! (good old days!) I never had the money or car to race on a real track sponsored by ROLEX!!!!
    But I can tell you we Road raced too! If there was a real "grudge" race rather than fist fight, we would drive to the top of La Tuna canyon and would race down the canyon that would kill you if you hit the wall or went of the cliff! (I'm surprised to even be alive!) I have raced many Big dollar road racing cars and was always the first to the bottom! No one would ever ride with me on that race!
    All I was driving was a 73 Datsun pickup with SSS imported 1,800 with dual 45 Weber side drafts some porting and valve work done, cam and long headers! (4cyl) We had them pickups as low as we could and would always work on the handling with big sway bars and messing with the leaf springs! Nothing near as nice as what you got to drive but it was what we had.
    I'm honored to be one of the 120 to 130 accepted to ruin our cars in the salty sand!
    Racing side by side is what I like doing!
    Sorry for being off topic!
    Just saying!
    Joe

CrazyUncleHarry and ROCKER77 like this.
  22. Joe,

I grew up not far from you, in Pasadena in the '50's. We'd race around the Brookside golf course and environs. My wife and I still giggle to this day at the missing stones in the wall on one of the transition roads, where I hit that wall so hard as to tear the whole front end off my roadster. With help I got the wreckage out before dawn; but had no money to fix the car so I sold the body (the frame was junk) and kept the "banger". I worked and saved enough $ to put together another car to put the "banger" in. The new car had much better suspension (I did my homework). We took the car several times to Mulholland Drive illegal road races (often time trials). A "Banger" is a good engine to run on short courses because of the tremendous torque coming off the corners. I caught the eye of a young friend of mine whose mother had bought him an out and out race car (a '56 Lotus XI). I drove that car (lying about my age) for a couple of seasons of organized races sanctioned by the Cal. Sports Car Club. The car you see (under the Rolex sign at Laguna Seca) was put together from wreckage. The basis of the engine is a '33 Ford "Banger" (components of which have been published elsewhere on this thread many times ad nauseum). We're NOT a "big bucks" operation. I'm the only mechanic, driver and pit crew (though my wife is the boss). I tow the thing on an open trailer to the events with a 23 year old, beater motorhome (we can't afford to race and stay in hotels). We race against cars that are worth up to the tens of millions of $. But WE BEAT THE BUGATTI'S AND WORRY THE ALFA'S. (and sometimes we take home "The Cup")
    RMMR2015-2.jpg

CrazyUncleHarry and cactus1 like this.
  23. Bluto

Bluto
    Member Emeritus

John

Good to see you up and around posting!

"Bug Stomping" is easy ..... I can say that a year after my triple bypass

No Rolex sign at this hillclimb or the Mille Miglia either. Sorry guys this isn't a banger 6 cylinder 2/3's the size of your Ford.

Your old buddy

Jim

The37Kid likes this.
  25. Yeah Jim,
    I'm still upright and taking nourishment. I've had my head down doing a bunch of unexpected stuff. Not the least of which is having to do complete teardowns on my one and only race engine due to my own ignorance in taking well meaning but totally erroneous advice from others. I guess that come of old age. I keep thinking that somehow there are new ideas to accomplish tasks that I've done for decades. Aww! my "pipe dreams" get me every time. We've got Monterey and Coronado and or season is over.

Best to Sophie and stay comfortable my friend

26. I don't care how many cylinders that coupe has. It still sounds delicious. Super great video!
    BMW is the featured marque at Monterey this year. I don't see that anything a neat as your coupe is entered.

27. The37Kid

The37Kid

Great to see that video of the BMW at Goodwood, and later in that Taxi Driver test in the city. Bob

28. RussTee

RussTee

I like your style thats how I would do it well done.