Register now to get rid of these ads!

ED ROTH'S Truck FOUND

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by Austinrod, Aug 23, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

2. Austinrod

Austinrod
    from Austin

3. any way to trace the vin? his old reg' still around?

falcongeorge likes this.
  4. In my business a saying I use is that people can lie
    er-1.jpg er-2.jpg
    , but cars cannot.
    Why would they change back to a truck rear view mirror?

5. Have the holes been filled for the emblems on the sides of the hood?

6. I thought it has a Y block when Roth had it, previous owner put the Packard in? So the engine is irrelevant?

7. Austinrod

Austinrod
    from Austin

8. Aaron Kahan

Aaron Kahan

Well I'm glad someone started a thread about the Roth truck. I work at Galpin/GAS and I'm hoping some cool new info or photos show up as not that many color photos have surfaced. The truck was listed on Ebay first and I'm not sure if it didn't meet reserve or was taken off before the auction ended.

Luckily it is in great hands now with the right people to restore it and take care of it. The old dude that owned/parked the truck over thirty years ago bought it from Roth. He painted it green and left the grille because he dug it. It would have been cool if the paint would have stayed in tact, but honestly it's amazing that the grille was not painted over as well. Thankfully he stored the grille in a safer place than the truck.

The grille still has the goldish color pinstripe on it, which can't be detected in any of the old photos. That will help make the resto authentic. The seat has the same cover that Ed put on it, the dash knobs have remnants of the crazy abstract painting that Ed covered the dash in. There is no doubt it is the real truck. I personally love the way it sits now as a survivor, but it definitely deserves to be restored and driven. I have been involved in a number of Roth and Von Dutch projects over the years and was really surprised that this truck turned up. It's gonna be killer seeing Dave Shuten bring it back to life!
    Thanks,
    Aaron

gonzo, drdave, kiwijeff and 5 others like this.
  9. Doesn't mean anything either way but shouldn't the vin plate be riveted?

10. Larry T

Larry T

Nope, they came from the factory with sheet metal screws holding the plate on.
    That looks like the original screws.

11. Austinrod

Austinrod
    from Austin

This ^^^^^^^^^^

Sent from my iPad using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  12. okiedokie

okiedokie
    from Ok

My 53F100 plate was riveted.

13. Kan Kustom

Kan Kustom

Will be watching this one unfold !

14. 1-SHOT

1-SHOT
    from Denton

My 61 and 63 Ford F-100 has screws in the vin plate. My 65 and 66 Mustang has push in plugs that hold on the vin plate. Maybe GM of that era used rivets

15. Outta be interesting to see what happens

16. Absolutely. Ed's cars were actually really rough, especially in hidden places.

falcongeorge and Moriarity like this.
  17. So in my collection I actually still have my November 1957 Car Craft mag. There is a 2 page article on laying out a scallop pattern but it's done by Dean Jeffries not Edd. Also there is just a collage of photos of Flame jobs in which the Roth truck is part of, they call it "Just how far out a creation can go" then end with Striper Roth is owner. Nothing with the Hood up or reference to power under the hood. I also googled Packard in a F-100 but nothing related.
    I like the fact that a rendition of Edd's truck is going to be done. I've been an F-100 guy most of my life and still have one. I'll admire it for what it is.
    The Wizzard

falcongeorge likes this.
  18. jcmarz

jcmarz
    from Chino, Ca

Popcorn is ready for the melted butter:D

falcongeorge likes this.
  19. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Just thinking that a highly skilled soda blaster could take the green off one layer at a time to expose the old paint. Or enough of it what ever is left,

20. Austinrod

Austinrod
    from Austin

With the paint job it looks like the white paint is still under there but too scuff up the top paint flame job too prep for green go on there it looks like the flame job flamed out for new paint

rodncustomdreams likes this.
  21. Since we are offering opinions here - I have to say I have seen more than one instance of red graphics fading away to near nothing after a few years (no protective clears likely). If that happened to the pickup the natural thing to do would be to put a "quicky" paint job on it to bring it back to life. There probably wasn't much left of the original Roth paint work after a few seasons of sun and weather, so the owner likely didn't feel he was "destroying historical artwork".. it was "gone" already. JMHO.

I agree those involved should know what they have. I will enjoy seeing the truck back in the Roth livery again.

Dave

22. lewk

lewk
    from Mt

I hope there's a build thread at some point.... This thing is stinking cool.

23. cornfield county

cornfield county
    from Indiana

I remember a book with a Roth build of a 56 or so Olds. He said in the book that he welded the motor mounts where they fell. If I remember right he swapped in a Chevy? I think he used chrome tape for trim. The book was in the school library, that was 35 years ago. He wasn't afraid to put a crude build in print!

24. DAVE SHUTEN

DAVE SHUTEN

This is another great example of why I avoid the HAMB...
    So, I'll say this one time... It IS that truck, and I'm happy to be restoring it!
    I'm not going into a bunch of details... (Since I'm currently builds 5 cars, by myself... And don't have time) but, it's been verified as authentic.
    There will not be a build thread... Sorry, you'll have to see it at GNRS or in print.

25. Austinrod

Austinrod
    from Austin

Glad your on here Dave thanks for chiming in I could tell it was the real deal that's why I started this thread
    Well guys you heard it from the man himself 100% REAL

Last edited: Aug 24, 2016
    kidcampbell71 likes this.
  26. COCONUTS

COCONUTS

Hey what about the orange 55 Chevy, now that was a hot rod.

27. HotFlatSix

HotFlatSix

I feel exactly the same way Dave. It's totally ridiculous how cynical and horribly negative people can be on the HAMB. Your stellar reputation should've been proof enough for everyone that the truck is the real deal! Just put out the negative and enjoy the restoration, I'm really looking forward to seeing it done at the GNRS. With you doing it I know it'll be done right!

Sent from my SM-N910T using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

28. Cynical? You expect us to believe they bought it without confirming the history?
    I doubt they bought it on someone's word without doing due diligence. I would imagine EVERYONE would have been skeptical until it could be proven.

I am also looking forward to its restoration.

29. Austinrod

Austinrod
    from Austin

That one is still lost but I know someone that did a clone of that car

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 24, 2016
  30. Dooley

Dooley
    from Buffalo NY

its the same keyboard warriors over and over, the experts who have everything but a running car that fits the parameters of what they try to beat everyone else with

Thanks for the update I'm sure you guys will rock it out

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.