Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Engines that would fit 1955 Ford FairlaneClub Sedan

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Coach Grumpy, Sep 10, 2016.

1. Coach Grumpy

Coach Grumpy

I'm new to the forum and have tried searching, but I'm probably not using the correct keywords. On a fluke I bought a 55 Ford Fairlane. I want to update the vehicle with the modern accessories like power brakes and steering so my wife can drive it.

What engines can I replace my Y-block with that are reasonably easy to install in my 55 Fairlane?
    Would a 351 W or larger work?

dave lewis likes this.
  2. Gman0046

Gman0046

A friend of mine put a 365 Cadillac motor in his 55 Ford.

Gary

kiwijeff and lothiandon1940 like this.
  3. steinauge

steinauge
    from 1960

The Y block is easy to rebuild and fits fine.FE fords go in pretty easy too.Most people seem to put SBC\SBF engines in those.Those cars could be had new with power steering and brakes,look around and you can likely find the pieces for the power steering .Power brakes are a pretty simple conversion.

4. what he said ^^^^ go with a 352/390 FE block....

5. jcmarz

jcmarz
    from Chino, Ca

SBC is what belongs in that engine compartment.:D

6. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

We should start a club. :DTB33andathird will be in.

kiwijeff and jcmarz like this.
  7. MeanGene427

MeanGene427
    from Napa

FE bolts in pretty easy and has class. Of course it didn't take long for the obligitory "put a Chebbie in it" to surface from the peanut gallery

73RR, Cooon, loudbang and 2 others like this.
  8. Due to the fact that the Y block engines are mounted to the frame by a "steady rest" that is on the front of the engine an adaptor kit is required for the FE engine install.

Do a search for that kit. Crites perhaps ???

I dont think anything else except another Y block is a direct bolt in.

Or since 58 Fords used both Y blocks and FEs - might want to look into those motor and tranny mounts but you would still have to fabricate the frame mounts for the motor mounts to bolt onto.

Oldmics

Last edited: Sep 11, 2016
    loudbang likes this.
  9. John Hardy

John Hardy

Any FE block will fit and take up about the same amount of space as your Y block. You can still find 390 FE blocks floating around from 60's full size Fords if you want something period close. An added benefit is that any 390 can become a 428 is short order. There is also a pretty good selection of speed parts available for these motors still available. Likewise, any 351 or 302 based small block will fit with plenty of room around it to turn wrenches. As Oldmics says, for any "newer" flavor of motor you're going to be on the hook for fabbing a set of frame pads for the "newer" style motor mounts. I've seen these done in a 56 T bird around here that runs a 390 instead of the original 292 and they didn't look too bad to put together. There was plenty of room in the T-bird so there should be plenty and then some under yours. Good luck and happy hunting :)

Zapato and loudbang like this.
  10. JeffB2

JeffB2
    from Phoenix,AZ

11. JeffB2

JeffB2
    from Phoenix,AZ

Here is another Pic showing the 5.0 with HEDMAN 88400 headers. header2 001 (Large).jpg header2 002 (Large).jpg

12. A FE or SBF will be the easiest swap. A FE is almost a direct bolt-in, with custom head pipes being the only fabricated parts needed if you use the early 'log' exhaust manifolds and you can find a slip yoke that fits both the driveshaft and the trans you select; otherwise, you may need a custom driveshaft if retaining the stock rear axle. You may need a custom speedo cable and minor shift linkage mods too, but again, that will depend on the trans.

The SBF swap isn't much harder. I did a 351W/FMX swap into a '56 using a '71 LTD as the donor, and again, the only 'custom' parts needed were head pipes, driveshaft, and speedo cable, with some home-fabricated motor mount adaptors and some monkey-motion for the stock column shifter. Between stock '56 bits and the LTD, everything else needed was there. I even reused the OEM lower radiator hose and dual-diaphragm fuel pump off the Y-block. You will need to use the later Mustang 'shorty' oil filter.

A C4 or FMX will fit no problem, a C6 may need some floorboard bashing. An AOD will need floor bashing and some frame mods.

As to power steering, the OEM setup is a bit problematic. Not inexpensive to rebuild, and not all that reliable even if you do. If you go for the SBF, the 200+ pounds you'll drop off the front end reduces steering effort by a bunch and a conversion to manual steering will be fine if you keep the large OEM steering wheel. My 5'4" ex had no trouble driving mine... You can even do this with a FE if you 'aluminize' it with alloy heads, intake and water pump.

loudbang likes this.
  13. mgtstumpy

mgtstumpy

14. The front steady rest isn't needed . Ive installed lots of FE,s in 55 & 56 fords. Never used one and never had any problems.

15. 427 Ford engine is the Best

Just my 3.5 cents
    or when the Cows
    come home!

fiveoh108, czuch and mammyjammer like this.
  16. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

I have a 351-W in my 55 sunliner and it fit good but have decided to go back to a Y block soon.

aussie57wag likes this.
  17. lippy

lippy
    from Ks

I always wanted to put a stroker 408 351 Windsor in one. We ran a 408 on alky injected in the dragster and for a Windsor it was a horse. Lippy

Attached Files:

Rod Horn likes this.
  18. A 390 FE would be the sexiest looking engine in there. With a 3X2 factory setup.

aussie57wag and loudbang like this.
  19. sunbeam

sunbeam

He's got a fairlane not a T bird the fairlane has side mounts. For an FE you can use the Y block mounts but the engine can hit the firewall but if you use the mounts backwards it will move the engine forward about 2" and clear.

scrapiron likes this.
  20. Judd

Judd

Not sure if 57 is same but I mounted 289 ( same as 302 ) in 57 with stock y block frame mounts and 64 comet motor mounts, bolted right up.

loudbang likes this.
  21. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

Do you guys all own gas stations or do you just never go anywhere?The consensus seems to be that a 55 Ford daily driver needs AT LEAST a 390 motor and preferably a 427.

My choice would be a 302 or possibly a 4.6 which will get twice the mileage while being 200 pounds lighter, improving the steering and handling, while having enough power to go anywhere in the country at well over the legal speed limit.

Weight is about the same as a 5 liter Mustang so performance should be similar until you get to such high speeds the boxy shape holds you back (over 70 MPH)

kiwijeff, robracer1, Texas57 and 2 others like this.
  22. miker98038

miker98038
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

23. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I'd prefer a Chrysler hemi but have a stock y-block in mine.

kiwijeff and 73RR like this.
  24. sunbeam

sunbeam

I know Rusty but he ask for 351 or bigger.

25. Coach Grumpy

Coach Grumpy

Wow! Thanks for all the replies. I'm just in the beginning stages of planning. I know SBC engines are less expensive and readily available, but was thinking about keeping the components in the Ford family.

loudbang likes this.
  26. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

What is wrong with the engine that is in it?

aussie57wag, X38 and IronFord like this.
  27. Its "Traditional" to put a big block Ford in there. I don't know about the rest of you, but if I worried that much about gas mileage I wouldn't fool around with old cars.

28. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

Right now gas prices are low where I live but I still pay $3.50 to $4 per gallon. For Fords in particular the difference between a 302 and a big block is going to double your consumption. Given the performance you can get out of a small block I find it hard to justify.

Texas57 likes this.
  29. IronFord

IronFord
    from NoDak

aussie57wag likes this.
  30. aaggie

aaggie

For some reason all of the younger guys seem to think power steering is a must have. Standard steering and normal width tires are just as good and I'll be you wife won't know the difference. It just takes a few more turns of the wheel to do the "J" turn. The factory power steering on the older cars were a telescoping ram type of linkage and they leak.

aussie57wag and 56don like this.