Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Industrial Dynamite! Ford's OHV 4

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Jive-Bomber, Nov 29, 2016.

1. Jive-Bomber

Jive-Bomber

Jive-Bomber submitted a new blog post:

Industrial Dynamite! Ford's OHV 4

[​IMG]

Continue reading the Original Blog Post

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  2. Jim Hassad

Jim Hassad

Wow!, thanks for this article. My father, Ira Hassad, started the chassis for our roadster in 1947 and he always said it was for a Ford 4 cylinder industrial engine and using the rotary supercharger he designed and built. The engine plans changed with the news of the little 241" Dodge Hemi in 1952 as he was finishing the chassis. He even left the 4 cylinder engine mounts on the tube frame, "just in case". My dad was very tech savvy, so I could never imagine a flathead 4-banger choice, but this article clearly shows what he was planning. The Dodge choice was a good one though, as the car ran 172 mph at Bonneville in 1954 with the supercharger and by the way, the engine has not been apart since 1955 when he assembled it with the "new" Super Red Ram" 270" block and it still runs great!

3. typo41

typo41
    Member Emeritus

Verrry interesting,,,
    Reminds me of the F head Willys (Jeep) motor. Could you imagine trying to find one?

Rex Stallion likes this.
  4. HiHelix

HiHelix

Didnt they use this is a couple of Allards? I think their is a picture of the Dave Clark 5 standing around one.

williebill likes this.
  5. Wonder if the head would match up with an A block... hmmmmm???

6. HiHelix

HiHelix

[​IMG]

turboroadster and Lazy A like this.
  7. J. A. Miller

J. A. Miller
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Central NY

^^^^That's the Beach Boys^^^^^

8. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

The perfect choice for those who feel their flatty has too much power....:D IIRC that digger was called the "Snap Dragon"?

9. HiHelix

HiHelix

Nice example of staying on topic "Alliance" member...high five....
    Hey George... Not positive its same engine....just asking or resident encyclopiates of auto history and grooviness of all sorts.,
    But original poster had great post!

10. Jimmy2car

Jimmy2car
    from No. Cal

1) Those engines are easily found in any agriculture area
    2) They are great engines (I've worked on both sizes)
    3) Don't know, but they may be a bit on the heavy side
    for a rod

Jonnie King likes this.
  11. vonpahrkur

vonpahrkur

12. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

I'm pretty sure I saw one of those in a fork lift or agricultural machine not long ago and wondered what it was.

13. Is this the engine that was an option in the 1941 Ford Pickup?

EDIT: The 4 cyl available in the 41 PU was a flathead.

Last edited: Nov 29, 2016
  14. Neighbor has one in an older New Holland skid steer

15. Casual 6

Casual 6
    from Great NW

16. typo41

typo41
    Member Emeritus

Ok, closer, and actually reading, this is a cut down 223 six. The starter has been moved to the 'driver' side, but the rest appears to be a 223. Like what Chevy did for the Chevy II motor, cut down six.
    Too bad its too new for the Bonneville vintage four cylinder, might have been fun.

17. G V Gordon

G V Gordon
    from Enid OK

I spent 25 years in the Ag Equipment biz. A lot of it in Ford. Those engines are tough as nails and can be found in everything from skid steers to powerplants to Ford tractors and even our local Kiwanis train at the park runs one. Rebuild parts can be pricey but then what isn't. They are a bit on the heavy side because the engine in a tractor is an integral part of the chassis. Still, cool article.

18. Lot of industrial uses in the pre-diesel age, skid steers, aux motors on sweepers, 3 wheel garbage scooters, sewer rodders, etc. Heavy duty insides, not very automotive like.

19. RRichFox

RRichFox

In 61 I was an Army Mechanic and we were getting Ford Jeeps with an OHV Ford 4. Maybe this engine. I don't know. I think they were in lots of Ford tractors.

20. jroberts

jroberts

Speaking of Ford OHV 4 industrial engines, in the early 1970's I owned two Saabs that used a Ford V4. Although the engine was used in German Ford automobiles, here they were known for their use in generators and the like. In fact even when new it was easier to find tune up parts and the like at an industrial engine place than the local Saab dealer. I cannot remember the horsepower rating, but there was enough power for my wife and I to keep up with some more powerful competitors when we were into rallying. We forded creeks, ran through some pretty messing mud roads and some very deep snow (yes here in NC). I wonder how that engine would work in a small lakester or streamliner, or even a Model A......ummmmm

21. SR100

SR100

That looks like an Allard Dragon. They had a breathed on (English) Ford Consul engine totally unrelated to the U.S. industrial four. The Allard Palm Beach was available with the same Consul engine.
    Here's a somewhat earlier Dragon in action & an interview with Sidney Allard: www.youtube.com/embed/i3nQ-cG5WSs

falcongeorge likes this.
  22. I work on these all the time. Even have one out at our ranch in Terra Bella running a "Tree Baller". They even come in 192 ci.

23. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

That was, I believe, a 9N Ford tractor engine adapted to the truck application.

Ray

24. Garpo

Garpo

At first glance I thought this was a variant of the English Ford Consul motor, but it is much bigger. The Consul started out at 1508cc - grew a bit over the years. 6 cyl version was the Zephyr at just over two litres.
    The interesting bit for me is that the English motors may have been designed by the same team. Similar water pump / front cover / manifolds on left etc.
    Somewhere in the distant past is an answer.
    Garpo

25. Tony, we have those all around our equipment, ask Timmy about em. common stuff in his world

26. Tim Keith

Tim Keith

I believe these were first used on the 1953 FORD GOLDEN JUBILEE NAA. I think it is the four version of the 215/223 "Mileage maker" six. In the tractors it was called the "Red Tiger" They are good in the tractors.

27. Okie Pete

Okie Pete
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Swathers used them for power also.

28. 28dreyer

28dreyer
    from Minnesota

I believe basically the Capri V6 was the expanded version of that German Ford V4 engine and the hot ice racing set-up hereabouts, was that engine implanted in any Saab, but preferably the Sonnett with studded tires. Yes, all derived from the Industrial engine.

29. 28dreyer

28dreyer
    from Minnesota

Can I presume this Red Tiger was a 3 main bearing engine?

30. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

Interesting... thanx for the Allard links. Given the industrial use, might be a good motor for a daily rod in heavy traffic or parade car. It probably loves hours of running at low rpms! Gary