Register now to get rid of these ads!

49 Plymouth Drop and Disc

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Specialdeluxe, Jul 10, 2008.

1. Specialdeluxe

Specialdeluxe

I'm looking to drop and convert to disc brakes. My supports were shot so I picked up the Fatman dropped uprights. I'd like to keep the stock rims/tires. Has anyone used the Scarebird kit with these uprights? Mark said that the caliper might hit the upper trunnion.

Last edited: Aug 15, 2008
  2. plym_46

plym_46
    from central NY

www.rustyhope.com

special on disc brake conversion and free shipping till end of July. will work with dropped spindles. Olddaddy is a Hamb forum member.

3. Specialdeluxe

Specialdeluxe

Yep, that's where I'm goin if this Scarebird stuff don't work out. Just wondering if anyone has tried using Fatman w/Scarebird.

http://www.scarebird.com/12802/25032.html

4. that's funny i asked scarebird the same question a couple of months ago and he said he didnt know if they would hit. let me know what you find out.

5. This guy has great stuff. I used his disk kit with a viper master on the floor and remote fillers. I used a plydo drop spindle and cut two springs. stops and rides well.

6. I have the Fatman's dropped up-rights on both my '39 & '46 and they worked out fine. I used disc brake kits from PlyDo and I would NOT recommend them. The kits were complete but the calipers were rebuilt on very rough cores and I think their kits are way over-priced ( as is everything they sell). As was already mentioned, check out Rusty Hope's site I think that's the way to go. I still have the original master cylinders and will be going with dual master cylinders next.

Dave
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    '39 Plymouth Business Coupe - hopped up Dodge flat 6 power
    '46 Plymouth Business Coupe - same

7. plymouth1952 how about starting a new thread with some pics of your car?

8. Specialdeluxe

Specialdeluxe

This is the whole quote: "Issues that may occur is the caliper hitting the upper trunnion - though that seems to be remote..."

Here's what is rolling around in my head:

If the rusty hope kits work...then how different are they from the scarebird kits. Is the bracket pretty close and the caliper and mounting hardware is the main difference between the two? Then how different are the calipers used and how does the mounting hardware affect positioning? Maybe I should go to Napa and buy 1 of each rotor and caliper used in each kit, check for clearance then return the caliper and rotor I don't need.

9. Specialdeluxe

Specialdeluxe

Not planning on using Plydo. I don't think they're open for business right now anyway.

I'm just looking to get a yes or no answer as to the scarebird kits working with the Fatman dropped uprights. Seems like it would be a good thing to know.

Rusty Hope, that's where I'm goin if this Scarebird stuff don't work out. Their sale ends at the end of this month!

10. Thanks . I am new to the computer and not sure how to post Picks on the page. rustyhope ( Charlie Akers ) kits are well made and strong as hell.
    not only that but he helps with qustions you have and has been doing these kits for a long time. Next for me is fine tuneing the rack and pinoun kit to work for the 52. If you want to keep the master on the frame I built my own brakit and bolted the master and had a pin cut for the stock pedels and kept the floor the same. nothing on the firewall. the master is a viper unit non power. motor is stock 318 with 904.

11. Scarebird

Scarebird
    Alliance Vendor
    from Moita, PT

well, this is a pic of the preproduction mockup we made - as you can see the Challenger caliper clears the stock trunnion fine -

[​IMG]

12. Specialdeluxe

Specialdeluxe

Yes, it does. With the stock upright. I'd like to know if it works with Fatmans dropped uprights. Is there clearance from the upper control arm and the shock?

Last edited: Jul 12, 2008
  13. Scarebird

Scarebird
    Alliance Vendor
    from Moita, PT

yes, no reported issues with shock or upper arm, even with upper shock relocation. If we had one of these Fatman uprights, I could hook it up to one of our spindles and test it.

14. hey man i have not installed mine yet. maybe i could shoot one up your way. and we will get this fiquered out. shoot me a p.m.

15. Specialdeluxe

Specialdeluxe

I was thinkin of doing that too or getting the drum and rotor to try a mock up. I was wondering if the uprights are angled, and then the spindles were raised, wouldn't that actually increase the distance between the caliper and the upper control arm?

Hey glendale, that was post #666 for you.:eek:

Last edited: Jul 13, 2008
  16. it's crazy i have been here so long and that was only 666!

17. Specialdeluxe

Specialdeluxe

I shipped a Fatman upright out to Scarebird today.

18. yeah i dropped the ball. so i past the dutys on to specialdeluxe

19. Specialdeluxe

Specialdeluxe

Scarebird has the dropped upright I sent out. Will fit and test. When I hear the news, I'll let you know.

20. Specialdeluxe

Specialdeluxe

Here's the info from Scarebird:

Paul,

as far as I can tell these will work- see pix. one thing I did note was that the turn stop welds interfered with the stops' you will need to grind the fillet some.

Mark

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

21. 53coronet

53coronet

I'm trying this setup now, the bottom caliper bracket bolts are hitting the bottom of the fatman upright, any info on how to correct this?
    [​IMG][​IMG]

Sent from my XT1585 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

22. 53coronet

53coronet

Nevermind, ALWAYS READ DIRECTIONS! Fatman sent 4 allen head bolts that go in from the back side after you drill steering arms for recess fit and tap the lower holes in the spindle.

Sent from my XT1585 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app