Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Transmission to Bellhousing Lock - Can't Remove

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by glennpm, May 8, 2017.

1. henryj1951

henryj1951
    from USA

Short story---- the names have been changed to protect the innocent...
    It starts in IOWA , have a high school friend, i moved to san diego, someone was TRYING to steal my 4speed, kept spooking him off mid steal, and or finding loose bolts, SO i installed that tranny locking bolt . The attempts STOPPED.
    Many years later, my son and his high school FRIEND got to chatting,... back in Iowa, and discovered that my friend , and my sons friends DAD was the attempting THIEF.... We ALL got together at some point when i went back to Iowa to visit and got together and had a big ol laugh over the incident...

deathrowdave likes this.
  2. stimpy

stimpy

with me what gets me was they did it when I was home . sleeping 50 foot away . needless the dogs got a talking too , but it was cheaper to replace them ( $75 each and a better design ) than the ones in my truck which are big and around $300 each .the place that installed them etched the VIn number on them so the recyclers have to have a I D on them to turn them in to the scrap dealers .

Glad to hear you got it off easy .

3. karl share

karl share

here in Melbourne apparently they take the whole front off late model O/T vehicles, the plastic retaining clips are removed then the front panel just comes off.!!!!

4. reagen

reagen

5. butchcoat1969

butchcoat1969

Is it easy to get to? If so u may need to cut it off and then take the broken stud out but I have never seen this one before and I thought I did or seen everything lol I guess u do learn new things once in a while

Sent from my iPad using The H.A.M.B. mobile app HotRod Harry

6. glennpm

glennpm

Hi Butch,

No it is not easy to get too. There was no way to get a drill on the end or a cut off grinder in the space. My Dremmel would have fit but luckily I was able to get the lock tumblers to release eventually.

7. My idea for the drill would have been to drill a hole right through from the side, and bang a taper pin through it.
    ;-)

8. glennpm

glennpm

Yeah that would have worked.

9. henryj1951

henryj1951
    from USA

10. glennpm

glennpm

11. For what it's worth, I had a set like that on my wheels years ago and I used a pair of Vice Grips to simply crush the outer casing, then I used them to remove the core.

12. 97

I heard of cars in a sales lot losing trans in the 70s or 80s ??? , the thieves were using an air wrench powered by a dive bottle. Some one stole the brake calipers from my OT pickup truck recently, AND put the wheels back on ....with only three lug nuts out of eight on each side. It was parked for a few weeks waiting for other parts to arrive from USA.