Register now to get rid of these ads!

'57 Gasser or Wagon Gasser shots?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Freiburger, Apr 11, 2006.

1. krusty40

krusty40
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Todd - you are correct - its mostly in the stance. Yours is excellent!

2. I vote for hood, upper grille chrome... and maybe the grille... if no grille, Moon tank hanging down and a fiberglass hood.

and you can cut those fender wells if you want to... will it go into the door or something? This '57 has them cut and they look right. Actually, everything about this '57 looks right.

I think that Orange Nomad is damn nice for a gasser w/o cut rear wheel wells. They usually don't come out half as "right" as that one... so if you do not cut the wells, just stick a 8.5" American with a 29.5 x 10.5W M/T in there and go to town!

Sam.

Attached Files:

3. Oh yea... you ain't got a hair on your ass if you don't have two velocity stacks poking through the hood.

And none of those fancy schmancy K&N ones... I'm talking swap meet velocity stacks with the screen that only keeps out small birds and large rocks.

Sam.

4. Zeke

Zeke

The whole idea of turning my 4dr 57 Stude into a "Gasser" wasn't as much as it was back in the day but more of what happens when a bunch of sick fucking HAMBer do to a Studebaker after drinkng too much beer and chatting on line for months on end.

I decided after much debate I'll keep the bumper and put a oiltank in the notch cause it looks cool. Don't care what anyone else thinks. I like it. Been thining about I have to redo the rear 1/4s and thought of using 57 chevy cause I love the shape.

Do what ya want fuck it

5. No one has mentioned usin another welded up top upper grille lip upside down to enclose the front to give it a lower lip or swappin to a front end from a 55-56... don't think anyone has done the Johnny Cash .. itsa 55-56-57 chev..
    and I have never seen a shortened wagon .. camino pick-up conversion ...
    dammit SPRING FEVER again

6. hemi

hemi

Oooooh. look who is talking??? Hahahaha! How is your Fatman IFS/serpentine belt/TPI small block/street-rodified survivor drag car coming? Where's that big block???
    We're gonna need some pictures....

7. Freiburger

Freiburger

Thanks for all the help here. Cool stuff, and some photos I haven't seen before. My current leaning is to just get it on the road as quick as I can by keeping it simple. Jack up the nose on coils and balljoint spacers. I'm thinking 15x4.5 Cragars up front (got 'em) and steelies in back painted half white, half red. I have a 6-71 blown small block with a satin blower and Cal Custom finned covers and pan, and that will live in there until there's time to build/swap something more unusual. I'm thinking vel stacks through the hood with some kind of homemade box scoop. Lettering, of course.

This car actually has unusual inspiration. Remember the Eastwood & Barakat '32 Tudor? It was born from a "let's throw it together and have fun even if it's not perfect" vibe. I'm bogged down in other "real" projects and am spending too much time being a corporate jagoff, so I need to get some rust on the road. The '57 will be lettered with the title of the E&B story in HRM: Quick 'n' Dirty. Maybe I can get it done this year.

Anyone know where to get real spun-aluminum velocity stacks? The junk they sell now is chrome.
    DF

8. hemi

hemi

9. fur biscuit

fur biscuit
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

10. Freiburger

Freiburger

11. hemi

hemi

Where else would you look? lol, now if I could just locate a pair of old van zoomies, I'd be a happy man....

12. Here,s my baby....gotta lower the rear some to get a better stance.No straight axle for me yet but the idea is definitely appealing![​IMG]The grill is there but blacked out. Ratmotor.

13. repoman

repoman

14. hemi

hemi

Yeah!!! That floating grille bar is the bee's knees! Bitchin' ride!

15. PaulH

PaulH

Here's a pic of the '57 Gasser, taken at Thorney Island '05, Hampshire UK, sadly the last show at the Army base due to 'health and safety' or something!

[​IMG]

Edit: not my car by the way! It's been around for yonks, but I'm not sure who own's it.
    It was followed/raced by (can't remember) by this, bit O/T.

[​IMG]

16. InjectorTim

InjectorTim

Sound like it going to be a killer car, heres a word of advice, carefully study that lettering and make sure whoever does your lettering is familiar with it, nothing kills the vibe of a car like your building faster than lettering that lettering that looks modern, that is lettering that is done in a newer style.

17. You know I just told you all those lies just to get your goat... I'm even keeping the Olds rear end and 4.88 gears!

Sam.

And just when you thought I went GOLD CHAINER... I come up with the "Tilt-O-Matic" to combat the high prices of a rotissreeee...

[​IMG]

18. I might get an original 55 chevy 4-door wagon 210 w/ the original 265...a gasser seems like a bitchen idea.

What do you have to do on these things...straight axle the front and leave the rear stock?....

What's the deal..Im getting excited here.

19. hemi

hemi

I don't have a goat, it's a Plymouth, and you can't have it.... I found the neatest rear end set-up for you at Kugel, it should drop right in to the Tweedy Pie Fifty-Five....so I'll swing by and pick up that unwanted Olds rear...

If you're not going to keep your tweaker line lock handle, I want it too.

20. Maybe this '56 will provide some food for thought. It's more of a super stocker/junior stocker than the gasser-themed cars previously posted.

One note-- period correct decals are vital to getting the vibe right, IMHO.

Hope this helps.

Attached Files:

21. In your dreams Mopar boy...

Hey, I do have an extra Olds rear housing and brakes/axles
    though, if you really want one.

Sam.

22. sap6302007

sap6302007

Hi all, I just joined the HAMB and was searching around and found a picture of my 2 tone straight axle 57 hardtop car posted in this string by GOTGAS. How cool is that. While reading throught the post, it is also cool that people like the cars setup like I do - meaning no hoods and straight axles. What is also amazing is someone commenting on needing spun-aluminum velocity stacks which I have already swtiched out on the same car about 1 year ago because I didn't like the newer chrome ones either. The old style is a bit higher also then the newer chrome style. Geat minds I guess.

23. bundyracingdaman

bundyracingdaman

freiburger, gassers are cool, but I like your idea on the Jr. Stock also (check out the Jr.Stock thread on the HAMB) IM building a 56 chevy sedan delivery Jr. Stock replica, with Hooker fenderwells, chrome steelies on 7" caslers, Cragars up front, ball-joint spacers, lettering ( J&N speed centers) with more lettering to come. I would also like to thank you for turning hot rod back into a mag that i would subscribe to again!!! also great job, with HRD!!!

24. David Walter

David Walter
    from Troy,Al

I know it's not a 57, but it is a survivor!

Attached Files:

25. Like this one????

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

26. 57tony31

57tony31
    from Woods

Its not a wagon but damn its cool.

Attached Files:

27. Hell, this thing ought to be on the road by now.;):D This post is 4 years old!! I remember reading some tech stuff on this build in HRD a while back..........

28. T-Roy

T-Roy

I think junior stock is the way to go for wagons... Not sayin' it couldn't be KooL as a full on gasser styled wagon. Just my preference. And no front bumper, floating grille bar, stacks poking through the hood, fenderwell headers and color tinted windows...

Bob, that black '55 wagon is bitchin'... to say the least! Kinda goes against what I just said about wagons bein' gassers.

29. solid

solid

Old thread where the hells fryburger?

Attached Files: